• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

VTKilarney

This indeed was shitting on Magic VTK. It was dismissing possible positive change before the purchase and sales agreement has even been signed. Calling new ownership a train wreck without even knowing who they are is the very definition of" shitting" on something.

Has MMPs reaction been over the top? Sure. However toxic opinions often result in toxic responses.

There was absolutely no reason for ss20 to inject negativety with this positive development. Borderline trolling.

I had forgotten about that one. That wasn't at all constructive.

MMP

Nobody is "shitting" on anything. I have seen some people ask some legitimate questions, that's all. Everyone here wants the mountain to succeed, but everyone here also knows that many people couldn't figure out how to. There's nothing wrong with wondering what the new management group will do differently.

I overestimated you.

sull1102

Too dumb to address. You're really dumb Shane.

Huh? Did not realize I was responsible for what ss20 writes. (Although his point is valid that many small ski operators do struggle to survive, can't really refute that one). At least now I know! Come on ss20, cut the shit and get on the "everything is awesome" train.

I really do hope this mountain succeeds and that Geoff and his team can do some of the things I heard back in October/November this summer to come back strong for 16/17, so when people want to say how against this mountain I am, they're wrong.

Newpylong

Is there some kind of troll repellent we can spray on this thread?

We get great news and people who have little or nothing to do with Magic hijack the thread and squabble.

One thing people don't understand is that Magic can run on a shoestring with a little sense. The red lift is fine, the black will get fixed (I have spoken with the inspector and he is very supportive), large sections of the snow making system are fixed (remember Talisman two years ago?). Also the grooming has become quite good. The lodge is good enough. All Magic needs is someone who has a little money and management savvy. Both have been in short supply under the prior leadership.

I would be careful not to mistake caution for pessimism.

Shoestring is a relative term and I feel many here underestimate costs involved. Aging infrastructure is not cheap to operate or maintain. Making snow is not cheap, especially on the scale many will want to see. Liability insurance is not cheap (hopefully they get it) and neither is Workers Comp. The list goes on and on. These are fixed costs that even if minimalized can be tough pills to swallow. That's just if nothing breaks...unforeseen costs.

Not trying to buzz kill just stating reality. Without insight into the financials of the new owners or their investors so it doesn't make sense to speculate. I wish them the best of luck. I think with the right plan, the right pockets, and a few good winters in a row they can be successful. No one wants to see Magic or any mountain fail

Last edited:

JoeB-Z

I would be careful not to mistake caution for pessimism.

Shoestring is a relative term and I feel many here underestimate costs involved. Aging infrastructure is not cheap to operate or maintain. Making snow is not cheap, especially on the scale many will want to see. Liability insurance is not cheap (hopefully they get it) and neither is Workers Comp. The list goes on and on. These are fixed costs that even if minimalized can be tough pills to swallow. That's just if nothing breaks...unforeseen costs.

Not trying to buzz kill just stating reality. Without insight into the financials of the new owners or their investors so it doesn't make sense to speculate. I wish them the best of luck. I think with the right plan, the right pockets, and a few good winters in a row they can be successful. No one wants to see Magic or any mountain fail

Go back to Geoff's announcement. There is a five year business plan. He is a marketing guy which is, if the fundamental (shoestring) issues I mentioned above are met, is the greatest shortcoming. People do not know that Magic still operates! This is not a plan to continue on the same trajectory. My guess is that in a year or so I can't show up at 11AM and park in the first lot. And that third lot down the road will have some use.

zoomzoom

am hopeful the deal goes through, and that they find someone to make an honest assessment of the infrastucture condition. this will likely mean an outside entity with cruel honesty. the lodge is fine. the snowmaking pipes are old/rusty/too small. the red is well-maintained but lacking spares. the black is a money-pit. the mountain crew are the best. the best! the best!!

tnt1234

So, I have never been to Magic. Had a trip booked there this year and cancelled due to lack of snow....

But I sure wish them the best. The world needs more small, natural snow oriented, shut up and ski kind of places, particularly in southern VT within 4-5 hr drive from my central jersey abode!

Seems to me what Magic needs more than anything is snow....

Best of luck to the new management team and maybe next year we'll make it to Magic!

MMP

So, I have never been to Magic. Had a trip booked there this year and cancelled due to lack of snow....

But I sure wish them the best. The world needs more small, natural snow oriented, shut up and ski kind of places, particularly in southern VT within 4-5 hr drive from my central jersey abode!

Seems to me what Magic needs more than anything is snow....

Best of luck to the new management team and maybe next year we'll make it to Magic!

It's really fun. Most of the people posting here don't ski there. That seems like a plus to me.

Servicing DoWork is purely optional.

slatham

It's really fun. Most of the people posting here don't ski there. That seems like a plus to me.

Servicing DoWork is purely optional.

Just more potential skiers for a revamped Magic to bring in as customers!

Not sure what to make of the Do Work infatuation......

drjeff

what does a successful Magic Mountain look like?

Probably something that by most other industry norms would still be considered "unsuccessful" ;)

And I'm 100% OK with that!

Personally, I'd like to see some fairly reliable snowmaking, maybe just over an additional trail or 2 than they have been able to cover in the past, some reliable, not necessarily brand new lifts (a transplanted "old" lift from another area for the NEEDED beginner terrain for sure), and then get the basic heating system in the lodge dependable.

The proverbial wheel doesn't need to be reinvented with Magic, but that wheel does at least need some basic maintenance!

VTKilarney

I picture a successful Magic Mountain as being something similar to Bolton Valley. It doesn't have to be the biggest or flashiest player in the market. But it should be an affordable place with reliable lifts.

yeggous

Probably something that by most other industry norms would still be considered "unsuccessful" ;)

And I'm 100% OK with that!

Personally, I'd like to see some fairly reliable snowmaking, maybe just over an additional trail or 2 than they have been able to cover in the past, some reliable, not necessarily brand new lifts (a transplanted "old" lift from another area for the NEEDED beginner terrain for sure), and then get the basic heating system in the lodge dependable.

The proverbial wheel doesn't need to be reinvented with Magic, but that wheel does at least need some basic maintenance!

I've only skied there once but was struck by a couple of things.

1) Ski patrol was comical at best. The roped trails that were in amazing shape, and were militant about enforcing the ropes. As a Wildcat skier, I was in complete disbelief.

2) That Black lift is scary. It looks like Frankenstein. Time for the scrap heap.

3) The bar is the greatest asset. It's awesome. I'm jealous.

I do remember the lodge being too cold. Turning up the thermostat seems like a small change so I want bust balls there.

Before you advocate for a transplanted chair, go ask Crotched management how they feel that worked out for them. The chair they got from Ascutney has had *constant* mechanical problems and has turned into a money pit. I was talking to one of their ski patrollers this weekend, and we discussed the possibility of their own vertical challenge. He seemed very skeptical that the lift could run consistently fast enough to make this a reality. Apparently they keep the speed dialed back for mechanical reliability reasons. On the flip said, he said their ski patrol is very practiced in lift evacuations.

deadheadskier

Staff member
IMO, biggest key to Magic being successful is the average skier being aware it exists. I'm willing to bet if you drove up the road to Okemo on a Saturday and asked if they'd consider trying Magic that 90% of them either haven't heard of it or think it's out of business. The other 10% assume it either doesn't have a lot of terrain open or what is open is too challenging.

Magic has a reputation of being a hard core ski area for experts; some call it the MRG of southern VT. That reputation will remove it from consideration by a large number of people. They should market themselves as the Smuggs of Southern VT not the MRG.

Tin

I picture a successful Magic Mountain as being something similar to Bolton Valley. It doesn't have to be the biggest or flashiest player in the market. But it should be an affordable place with reliable lifts.

I picture a successful Magic Mountain wearing a tuxedo t-shirt. It says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party.