• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

drjeff

There were still a few patches left on the upper mountain that I could see driving back down route 100 after skiing at Killington today!

Too bad the BLT wasn't open this afternoon!! Would of been a perfect afternoon to grab a beer and toast what will hopefully be a new and much better era at Magic! :beer:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
What I believe is that YOU have no idea what YOU are talking about. What people have, are willing to invest, or what is needed are things that you know nothing about. So shut the fuck up. Genius.

One thing I know is that people that have nothing can't imagine what others do have (lying around as you say). I don't know if you see yourself here, but my guess is you do.

Calling people making an investment as a group with no clue who or what or when or how much is something you call a "train wreck" ? So smart.

Fuck off.

I have nothing to rebuttal because you gave me nothing to refute. You laid down swares and personal insults without mentioning fact. Where is the money smart guy? Apparently my scenario is wrong, and you are most certainly right, even though most of these small mountain managements groups fail. Give me some facts, then I'll shut up.

BTW, your inner Magic Fanboy is showing. Kind of makes your blind optimism expected yet unwarranted. Its warrented if you give us facts. Until then your opinion is as valid as mine.

skithetrees

Location, possible mutual ownership. Others on here would know!

RG or DW to the red phone!!

I have nothing to rebuttal because you gave me nothing to refute. You laid down swares and personal insults without mentioning fact. Where is the money smart guy? Apparently my scenario is wrong, and you are most certainly right, even though most of these small mountain managements groups fail. Give me some facts, then I'll shut up.

BTW, your inner Magic Fanboy is showing. Kind of makes your blind optimism expected yet unwarranted. Its warrented if you give us facts. Until then your opinion is as valid as mine.

People demand change in management and ownership, get it, and then call said change a train wreck. Lol. What do you want, stenger to come in and buy it? Good grief, give them a shot first.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nobody knows what the results will be. What we do know is one of the potential buyers is a member of this forum now.

We should be supporting him and his team instead of speculating failure.

yeggous

Nobody knows what the results will be. What we do know is one of the potential buyers is a member of this forum now.

Word. I almost can't believe this reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

MMP

A common theme here is that people that can't spell don't know what they're talking about and have no critical thinking skills, and people than can (sometimes) do.

I have been a vocal critical of business practices at Magic (to the dismay of some good friends at times). Hopefully they allocate some attention to finding professional administration and managers because the hires last year were indefensible.

Your ad hominem attacks are laughable. Swear words are fun. Fucking dummies.

MMP

Too dumb to address. You're really dumb Shane.

Savemeasammy

Where is the money smart guy? Apparently my scenario is wrong, and you are most certainly right, even though most of these small mountain managements groups fail. Give me some facts, then I'll shut up.

Yeah, c'mon MMP... Stop pretending that this new ownership group hasn't taken you into their confidence and laid out all of the financial details for you to scrutinize...! Spill it on this public forum for us!

😆😆😆😆😆

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JoeB-Z

Is there some kind of troll repellent we can spray on this thread?

We get great news and people who have little or nothing to do with Magic hijack the thread and squabble.

One thing people don't understand is that Magic can run on a shoestring with a little sense. The red lift is fine, the black will get fixed (I have spoken with the inspector and he is very supportive), large sections of the snow making system are fixed (remember Talisman two years ago?). Also the grooming has become quite good. The lodge is good enough. All Magic needs is someone who has a little money and management savvy. Both have been in short supply under the prior leadership.

MMP

Yeah, c'mon MMP... Stop pretending that this new ownership group hasn't taken you into their confidence and laid out all of the financial details for you to scrutinize...! Spill it on this public forum for us!

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I think late in the year the management figured out that expenses exceeded revenues. The plan is to not do that from what Geoff told me at the last board meeting.

But you didn't hear it from me.

My point really is that many people would be surprised at the level of professional accomplishment many of my Magic ski friends have achieved.Though we haven't discussed it I suspect many of them have accumulated decent assets and are high earners. So maybe someone at the right time came along with the right idea and presented it in the right way to the right people. Time will tell. If your natural instinct is to shit on it especially if you are a casual observer, please fuck off.

Savemeasammy

My rooting interest in the success of magic is that MMP still owes my kid a beer. If Magic doesn't open, I won't be sure how to track him down...

tumbler

My point really is that many people would be surprised at the level of professional accomplishment many of my Magic ski friends have achieved.Though we haven't discussed it I suspect many of them have accumulated decent assets and are high earners. So maybe someone at the right time came along with the right idea and presented it in the right way to the right people. Time will tell. If your natural instinct is to shit on it especially if you are a casual observer, please fuck off.[/QUOTE]

Call me crazy but these are the type of folks that like to get a return on their investment, not sinking money into an endless black hole of expesenses. Hope it works out..

slatham

Is there some kind of troll repellent we can spray on this thread?

We get great news and people who have little or nothing to do with Magic hijack the thread and squabble.

One thing people don't understand is that Magic can run on a shoestring with a little sense. The red lift is fine, the black will get fixed (I have spoken with the inspector and he is very supportive), large sections of the snow making system are fixed (remember Talisman two years ago?). Also the grooming has become quite good. The lodge is good enough. All Magic needs is someone who has a little money and management savvy. Both have been in short supply under the prior leadership.

This is pretty spot on, but.... The difficulty is that you don't know the final cost of fixing Black until it is in fact past inspection, or the rest of the snowmaking system. And you always have the issue that aging infrastructure can give out and often does so at the worst time and causes a large unexpected cost. Then there's the ski seasons like last year when you will not make money and need a reserve in order to open the next season. So there needs to be capital available in order to even operate (survive) on a "shoestring" basis. But I am convinced in all the B-plans I've read and discussions I've had that Magic, during a "normal" season, assuming 2 lifts and snowmaking capability/budget, can be a viable business. Capital is needed, but a key ingredient is at least average management talent......

jimk

Deal needs to get done first. But this is not simply "buying" the mountain. The Ski Magic group was put together with a 5-year business plan to not just purchase but to invest capital into the ski area to improve the product (snowmaking and lifts) so that it becomes a viable business with a growing customer base. The capital invested will make a significant difference in the quality of product but this is NOT an EB-5 play trying to transform a region. We are trying to take all that is good about Magic and make it much more reliable and higher quality throughout a longer season. Customers need more access to Magic Mountain--the skiing--even in a winter as crappy as this last one. If we focus our resources against that goal we believe Magic can be successful in its industry niche. Investment and growth will be in proportion to the specific opportunity and in keeping with the character of the ski area and what makes skiing there special.

OUTSTANDING!
This board has a reach that is far and wide. I am down in Virginia. If you get Magic squared away I will try my best to get up there next winter so I can report on the new regime and spread some love.

VTKilarney

I think late in the year the management figured out that expenses exceeded revenues. The plan is to not do that from what Geoff told me at the last board meeting.

But you didn't hear it from me.

My point really is that many people would be surprised at the level of professional accomplishment many of my Magic ski friends have achieved.Though we haven't discussed it I suspect many of them have accumulated decent assets and are high earners. So maybe someone at the right time came along with the right idea and presented it in the right way to the right people. Time will tell. If your natural instinct is to shit on it especially if you are a casual observer, please fuck off.

Nobody is "shitting" on anything. I have seen some people ask some legitimate questions, that's all. Everyone here wants the mountain to succeed, but everyone here also knows that many people couldn't figure out how to. There's nothing wrong with wondering what the new management group will do differently.

deadheadskier

Staff member
...and the trainwreck continues. The new slogan should be "At least we're not Saddleback or Burke!".

Magic needs more capital than a small community group will ever be able to provide. Don't see how they'll get much done at all. Magic needs a lot of $$$, and anyone that says otherwise is talking through their a$$.

This indeed was shitting on Magic VTK. It was dismissing possible positive change before the purchase and sales agreement has even been signed. Calling new ownership a train wreck without even knowing who they are is the very definition of" shitting" on something.

Has MMPs reaction been over the top? Sure. However toxic opinions often result in toxic responses.

There was absolutely no reason for ss20 to inject negativety with this positive development. Borderline trolling.