• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's with Peak Resort owned Ski Resort Lifts closed at 3:30 pm?

Yooper

I noticed that this year the Lifts close a half hour early even on weekends but only Peak Resorts all other in NE close at 4pm Killington, Stratton, Okemo etc. Why? Too cheap to pay employees extra 1/2 hour?

canobie#1

Peaks resort just sucks. They're operations at attitash are awful.
I feel like they're bring wildcat down too.

xlr8r

I though Sunday River closes its lifts also at 3:30. Someone who knows let me know if I'm wrong?

Its kinda interesting how 5 years ago everybody was praising Peak resorts on how they were operating their resorts and investing in fan guns, but now they seem to be criticized left and right for how they are handling their resorts, and have come accross as cheap lately. Sounds familiar (American Skiing Company)

drjeff

Mount Snow switched back to 4PM this weekend. The 3:30 is just an early season, it gets dark early at this time of year adjustment

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Mount Snow's hours of operations pages says 3:30 early season, then goes to 4 in normal season. Wildcat says till 3:30 till February, then going to 4. Someone else can look up the other mountains!

I don't like this call. Yes, there are only a few people that ski between 3:30-4:00, but they should be entitled to after paying 80 bucks for a lift ticket! As for Peak being cheap, I can see that. Mount Snow is their favorite, s it is easy to tell. The other mountains have been put on the back burner it seems. Crotched got a HSQ 2 years ago. Wildcat- nothing. Attitash- Nothing. Mount Snow- Fan guns, fan guns, fan guns, Bluebird, and plans for Sunbrook HSQ and complete snowmaking overhaul.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Mount Snow switched back to 4PM this weekend. The 3:30 is just an early season, it gets dark early at this time of year adjustment

This makes no sense. The days will continue to get shorter for almost another week and will be just as short though January as they have been so far this season.

yeggous

Mt Snow gets lots of investment because it makes lots of money given the crowds it attracts from CT and the mid-Atlantic given how far south it is.

Attitash and Wildcat get nothing because they currently make little money. They don't see the return on investment. Meanwhile Bretton Woods and especially Cranmore have been very impressive. Boyne continues to understand that you have to spend money to make money, but charge commensurate prices.

Peak Resorts seems to be running a shoestring budget in NH but also keeping prices relatively affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

Isn't 300 normal for December? I'm not one to stick up for peak (wish they would sell Attitash/wildcat) but it gets dark this time of year.

canobie#1

Attitash and wildcat have been on the back burner long enough. I really wish they would just split off from peaks all together.

snoseek

Attitash and wildcat have been on the back burner long enough. I really wish they would just split off from peaks all together.
I have friends/family back there that frequent the MWV and that seems to be the general thought by them all...like the idea of them being combined (which is pretty sweet IMO) but wish for a different owner.

drjeff

which explains why MRG is open until 4:30pm today? :confused: he says with a bit of sarcasm...

That's mighty impressive especially since the sunset time today was 4:18pm!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

Euler

This makes no sense. The days will continue to get shorter for almost another week and will be just as short though January as they have been so far this season.
Not true. While the day with the least amount of HOURS OF SUN will be the 22nd of December, the TIME OF SUNSET began to get later on December 10th. We've been on the upswing for a few days now!

Quietman

Crotched's day pass is good until 5pm, even on Sunday's when there isn't night skiing, they turn on the lights for the last hour.

yeggous

I'm not so sure about that. Today they offered 6 trails for $59 at Wildcat.

Good point. Bretton Woods was offering 38 trails (before the ropes dropped) for that price.

Brad J

Lets face it peak resorts just suck, they have had some real problems, wildcat frozen snowmaking lines to top , they have made snow only from what they can reach from the lynx pump station, Attitash a broken transmission on the triple, That lift was making some real mechanical noises and smoke bellowing from the engine room last year. they don't do anything until they have to. They have a loyal customer base and would attract more skier visits if they would only spend money in the right places, and that does not mean a zip line from attitash to bear

Brad J

Good point. Bretton Woods was offering 38 trails (before the ropes dropped) for that price.

ya but I rather ski the 6 runs at wildcat than poling down the "largest lift served pasture land "