• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When Does The Ski/Snowboard Season Really Start?

dlague

I have noticed a few posters pointing out that it is still too early to start. I have had discussion with a few friends about early season skiing and that they do not start skiing until Christmas break or early January. Their reasoning has been poor coverage (thin spots), refrozen trails, higher risk of injury due to too many people on limited number of trails, limited number of trails and the list goes on.

The perception from AZoners that I have seen thus far has been - it there is snow then ski/snowboard it! I for one typically will go for it as soon as a lift is running. This year playoffs got in the way! However we have redefined our beginning of season as lifts running and top to bottom trails. I did not like the steps at Killington or having to walk to ski - call me lazy!

Since I have seen the number of posters increase lately, my guess is the original perception I had was more oriented towards the posters that are here all summer long!

C-Rex

If I had my way, it would never really end. I'd head to Argentina or New Zealand for the summer and ride year round.

dlague

If I had my way, it would never really end. I'd head to Argentina or New Zealand for the summer and ride year round.

I am with you on that! I have been trying to convince my wife that we should head to Portillo or Valle Nevado in Late July or early August!

Huck_It_Baby

In my mind the season starts the first time you are on skis after the summer regardless of conditions. My season started Oct 27th with earned turns. It was the first time on snow since June.

dlague

In my mind the season starts the first time you are on skis after the summer regardless of conditions. My season started Oct 27th with earned turns. It was the first time on snow since June.

Expected from you since you have been around all summer talking about it! There are several year round AZoners that I suspect will post the same!

4aprice

To me skiing is a seasonal thing. Last year I skied till May 5th but I have to admit I really lost the desire after April 15th and think I'll be ending my seasons around that date from now on regardless of snow. I usually don't think of starting till after Nov 15th as well so I guess I have a pretty well defined season there. (gung ho from 11/15 to 4/15). I've skied in November several times in the past (the good old Hunter days of the 80's) but many years I don't get going till December (mostly due to weather). Camelback opened last weekend and the boy went up for the day but I couldn't bring myself to go yo-yo the Glen lift. So hopefully this weekend is the start with a trip up to VT. My boy could ski all year (been to Hood last couple of summers) and maybe I could at his age too but I have to admit I like the warm weather too and enjoy the seasonal aspect of skiing as well as our warm weather activity boating (and h2o skiing).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Before the site redesign we had two "themes" here at AZ, a green theme for the summer and a blue theme for the winter.

The shift always happened when the first lift started spinning and when the last lift shut down. I think that's about it, at least based on lift-served terrain.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I usually get a day or two in in Dec, and really ramp up in Jan. This is partly due to job and family obligations, and partly due to conditions, or lack there of.

But I'm in ski mode all the time, I never want it to end.

Maybe if I were to ski more, I'd be satisfied and would look forward to the "off season", but it's hard for me to envision that happening.

Dickc

According to my ski tracks app it apparently starts November1. The two days I skied at Killington in October are set historically as being skied in the 2012-2013 season!

snoseek

I start early typically but would gladly trade that month of skiing icy crowded groomer for soft deep snow in the spring, I hate it when mountains close down with a deep base.

Riverskier

Not sure there is a right answer here. For me it is when Sunday River opens (preferably and typically in October) and when Sugarloaf closes (preferably and typically in May).

WWF-VT

I don't hike and earn turns so my season starts when the lifts start spinning. I'm a season passholder so when it's early season with limited terrain open I don't mind just skiing for a few hours. Last weekend I skied a few trails at Sugarbush that were open on natural snow for the first time this year - you don't get that experience if you wait.

JDMRoma

I don't hike and earn turns so my season starts when the lifts start spinning. I'm a season passholder so when it's early season with limited terrain open I don't mind just skiing for a few hours. Last weekend I skied a few trails at Sugarbush that were open on natural snow for the first time this year - you don't get that experience if you wait.
+1 with the season pass, as soon as the lifts are running Im skiing….nov 6th was my first day and every weekend since
Im not ready to do the 2 day or stay over weekends yet but as soon as I get my home mountain 100% open Im in!

ScottySkis

Now that I am older and money is always tight I try to wait to top to bottom with to ski like I did at K a few weeks ago. If we had better colder weather in the Catskills I sure I would have been their. Few times. I like to wait for some natural to fall but also December is super busy at work ( retailer online) so I need to ski for relaxing. This also my first time in few years with a better buget and ski deals. So I do some resorts in South Vermont and when it snowy hopefully make few trips to North Vermont but for the cost just gas I wait to it snows up their. Once the Catskills get snow I hope to make 12 maybe a few more days and if I get over 20 days in this winter that be great. If weather is nit so good I not going to waste money for that. I love skiing and mountain hopefully I ski to May at K this year.

Hawkshot99

I need top to bottom with a few options open before i consider it started. Usually when s. vermont gets going.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2