• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When is it too warm to ski?

Tin

We skied trees all day today at Smuggs, still a lot of snow in places. MRG had a ton yesterday, can't believe they closed today. Bush tomorrow in the mid 70s!

Cannonball

Today at Cannon was both "too warm" and "too cold". Too warm in the sense that all the precip would have been nicer if it were 10 degrees colder. Too cold in the sense that if you're going to be soaking wet it would be nice to be warmer than 34.

BenedictGomez

We skied trees all day today at Smuggs, still a lot of snow in places.

Well that's good to hear, just got here about 2 hours ago. Was supposed to get here yesterday morning and ski yesterday and today, but the gf got sick :(

SIKSKIER

Today at Cannon was both "too warm" and "too cold". Too warm in the sense that all the precip would have been nicer if it were 10 degrees colder. Too cold in the sense that if you're going to be soaking wet it would be nice to be warmer than 34.
I was wondering who would be out in that nasty weather although it was snowing up top.I found my answer.I had to leave at 9:30 but wondered if it cleared later on?

yeggous

I was wondering who would be out in that nasty weather although it was snowing up top.I found my answer.I had to leave at 9:30 but wondered if it cleared later on?

Should have gone to Wildcat. It was rain in North Conway but snow in Pinkham Notch. A couple inches of heavy wet stuff over a layer of partially refrozen corn from the day before. Made for excellent carving snow. The tree skiing was excellent and bumps were very manageable. The too warm part came in the mid to late afternoon when it got sticky at the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

otisshirley

Well I did in fact have a great day, so thanks for all the encouragement and tips. Traverses and runouts could get slushy, but the Superstar side of Skye was a lot of fun. Superstar itself was only moderately bumped up, with firm troughs and soft, widely spaced bumps. If you go down the back side of Skye, you're in for a long, slushy traverse back to the lift. Some of the open trails on Snowdon involved a lot of skiing around grass.

The lifts were usually ski-on, but I was surprised by the crowd; basically everyone in southern New England is going there now, I guess.

yeggous

Well I did in fact have a great day, so thanks for all the encouragement and tips. Traverses and runouts could get slushy, but the Superstar side of Skye was a lot of fun. Superstar itself was only moderately bumped up, with firm troughs and soft, widely spaced bumps. If you go down the back side of Skye, you're in for a long, slushy traverse back to the lift. Some of the open trails on Snowdon involved a lot of skiing around grass.

The lifts were usually ski-on, but I was surprised by the crowd; basically everyone in southern New England is going there now, I guess.

That's a very myopic view of things. You've got a large number of areas still in the game. I'd bet that Killington is drawing a small fraction of the southern New England crowd compared to the rest of those combined. Most of the White Mountains, northern VT, and Maine areas are still in play. That is where most New Englanders go.

I can personally testify that Wildcat was 100% open and remarkably busy on Saturday. Coverage was even better on Sunday after they got another 2" of snow -- though I am sure it is melting fast now.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I tried a serious reply earlier in this thread. After reading much that has followed, I suggest the correct answer as to "when it is too warm to ski" is when there is no snow on the ground.

pcampbell

Hit up Mt Ellen this morning in the pouring rain. It was surprisingly crusty. Only upper FIS was really enjoyable (corn), everything else was frozen crud... and it was like 50F. Unfortunately also, the mountain ops have plowed quite a bit of the work road leading to the summit. Yesterday when it was 75F, I'm sure was amazing... but today was my day to go.