• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"Where in God's name is the LODGE!?!"

KevinF

+1.

Your $500 boots should not have to be babied. Never had a problem finding a place to boot up or stash gear at western areas. had a nice pair of skis stolen at Sunday River and my Transpack stolen at Jay Peak. Maybe I should only ski MRG!

As crank said, there are areas at all Western areas for gearing up, stashing gear, etc. They aren't necessarily that easy to find, or even that convenient, but they're around somewhere. I find when I'm out West that its easiest to just gear up in the car and hike in ski boots to the lifts.

4aprice

I haven't been to Copper in a long time but I thought I remembered some sort of lodge over by the American Flyer. Snowmonster said he couldn't find a lodge at Alta? We always use Albion which is actually quite a big lodge. Thinking over where I have been, there's no lodge for Aspen Mt (Now that Little Nells is gone), Snowbird has places to boot up but not really a lodge per say. I'm not a big fan of booting up at the car when its cold so I usually look for some place to it. When its warm I have no problem with it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

KevinF

I haven't been to Copper in a long time but I thought I remembered some sort of lodge over by the American Flyer. Snowmonster said he couldn't find a lodge at Alta? We always use Albion which is actually quite a big lodge. Thinking over where I have been, there's no lodge for Aspen Mt (Now that Little Nells is gone), Snowbird has places to boot up but not really a lodge per say. I'm not a big fan of booting up at the car when its cold so I usually look for some place to it. When its warm I have no problem with it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

There are lockers at least at the base of the Aspen Mt. gondola. Aspen Highlands also has lockers available. Neither one has anything approaching a "lodge" though. I've never seen lodge / locker facilities at Snowmass. Never been to Buttermilk.

bobbutts

The average backpack at a ski resort these days probably has about $1500 in Apple gear in it, so it's probably not a good idea to leave it sitting around.
I don't think any place is safe from ski theft.

Snowboard boots are far less awkward vs. ski boots for walking.

I hate carrying ski boots in addition to all my other crap more than I hate walking around in them.

jaybird

Taos Day Lodge used to give-off the MRG vibe. Perhaps still does.
Most Western base areas are condos, hotels and restaurants.
That's why best option is to boot up on the back of your truck
:dontknow:

darent

snowbird has a really nice LODGE, it called the Cliff Lodge, has the most poached hot tubs in UTAH, nice locker room with boot dryers in your locker and walk out skiing. only catch, you have to stay there or be real sneaky!!

4aprice

There are lockers at least at the base of the Aspen Mt. gondola. Aspen Highlands also has lockers available. Neither one has anything approaching a "lodge" though. I've never seen lodge / locker facilities at Snowmass. Never been to Buttermilk.

Haven't been to Aspen since 2001. Lockers below the gondola loading area I would assume. Highlands always had a lodge, reminded me of the Pats Peak NH Lodge. Likewise Buttermilk had one as well. Snowmass did not have one in the village but did have one (along with free Parking) over at the (Twin Creeks ?) lift that accesses the Elk Camp. (far left on the mountain looking up.)

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

rev bubba

I really don't remember too many places out west without some kind of base lodge. Certainly Taos, Angle Fire, Pajarito and Santa Fe, NM all had base lodges last season and I never locked up my stuff. I don't remember a base lodge at Snowmass but was staying on the mountain. Aspen Highlands and Buttermilk have lodges and Aspen Mt (aka Ajax) lacks a lodge but has lockers and a changing area. I didn't lock my stuff there and had no problem. It's been a few years since I skied Summit County but seem to remember lodges and I do remember lodges at all the various Utah mountains I've skied which is about all of them. Sometimes you have to adjust your definition of a lodge, I suppose.

I leave my boot bag on top of the lockers at the infamous Mountain Creek, NJ and no one ever touched anything. Maybe I've been lucky but I never lost anything in 43 plus years of skiing at 79 different areas and counting. I do make sure I always lock my skis and never put my boots on in a parking lot except on weekday visits to Hunter when we park next to the lift anyway.

Oh, wait, someone did steal my poles once.