• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which Trails Are Open the Least?

MadMadWorld

My list.....

Robin's Run at Smugglers Notch - Lots of ledges and rocks as it is. Double whammy because it faces directly into the wind.

Hairball at Wildcat - Did they bother to even try and clear this trail at all? Seems like they basically just took down the old lift towers and called it a trail.

Magician/Black Magic at Magic Mountain - These trails require a lot of natural snow and that is not always easy to come by in So VT. Question, I know it's not financially feasable to move the snowmaking pipe across Magician, but could they at least make it closer to the ground so it doesn't need as much snow to cover it up?

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
My list.....Hairball at Wildcat - Did they bother to even try and clear this trail at all? Seems like they basically just took down the old lift towers and called it a trail.

I skied this on Friday and loved it. Coverage was pretty good too. The biggest issue was making my way around two girls whose boyfriends got them in over the heads.

jrmagic

My list.....

Robin's Run at Smugglers Notch - Lots of ledges and rocks as it is. Double whammy because it faces directly into the wind.

Hairball at Wildcat - Did they bother to even try and clear this trail at all? Seems like they basically just took down the old lift towers and called it a trail.

Magician/Black Magic at Magic Mountain - These trails require a lot of natural snow and that is not always easy to come by in So VT. Question, I know it's not financially feasable to move the snowmaking pipe across Magician, but could they at least make it closer to the ground so it doesn't need as much snow to cover it up?

I don't think the pipe really matters. First off, the prevailing winds push snow up Magician and onto Wizard so its usually not a big problem. Secondly, if there's not enough snow to cover the pipe then there wont be enough to cover the boulders that are all over the trail or the ice in the trees Skiers right leading down to the waterfall.

MadMadWorld

I don't think the pipe really matters. First off, the prevailing winds push snow up Magician and onto Wizard so its usually not a big problem. Secondly, if there's not enough snow to cover the pipe then there wont be enough to cover the boulders that are all over the trail or the ice in the trees Skiers right leading down to the waterfall.

Good point.

xwhaler

I can't recall ever seeing the upper liftline at Black Mtn (NH) open.....it's officially on the map as Upper Galloping Goose but not sure they ever open it? Looks fun though....best pitch on the mtn

MadMadWorld

I can't recall ever seeing the upper liftline at Black Mtn (NH) open.....it's officially on the map as Upper Galloping Goose but not sure they ever open it? Looks fun though....best pitch on the mtn

Very technical line for sure and it's been years since I have seen it open. It definitely could use a little maintenance during the off season.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com

Very technical line for sure and it's been years since I have seen it open. It definitely could use a little maintenance during the off season.

I skied it a few years ago, maybe 3 or 4 years? I really enjoyed the "bobsled course" aspect of it.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Devils Fiddle at Killington.

I swear to God I skied there every single year all year long growing up and it was never, ever open.

I don't actually know if I've ever skied it?

Although I haven't been at Killington in several years now.