• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who’s blowing?

drjeff

No offense, but policing inconsequential language like this is dumb.

I am with Newpylong on this one. The folks out on the hill and in the industry take great pride in doing what they do, which also lets us enjoy the sport that we all love.

A simple thing like using the correct terminology, while not a big deal to some, certainly is a little sign of respect to many that are out there on the hill making snow

Hawk

Most message boards have a distint lack of sophistication. Actually the only board I know that does not is the SkiVT-L board. But most of those people are UMV grads and are very highly educated. We are a mix of the unwashed masses and pretty much anything goes. Sometimes the sophmoric BS gets on my nerves but mostly I just listen and laugh.

Domeskier

They aren't "making" anything. Blowing pressurized air and water from a pipe into the space above a ski slope is a far more accurate description of what is going on. Might as well say I'm "making" grass when I water my lawn.

skiur

I really can't believe people are getting up in arms over the term "blowing snow". Who cares if someone calls it blowing snow or making snow, I only care that it is happening. Lots of things are still called by terms they don't technically do anymore. Who cares!?!?

cdskier

MRG and Stowe had guns running last night. Didn't see either of those mentioned yet in this thread.

Newpylong

Yep, happens everytime ski season is upon us, the natives get restless. I shouldn't have even brought it up. :eek:

FBGM

Temps back up a few degrees in NEPA next week now. Only window I show is Monday night maybe Tuesday night and that’s like 6 hrs a night if that. Not worth it for me.

Back to cleaning out my intake pipe of dead marmots…

machski

What no Sunday River?
Nope, they elected to sit the one night window out given the Fri/Sat forecast. They are planning to go full throttle as soon as possible Saturday night on. Plus, they still have a bit of work on the Spruce system overhaul. At least three fans yet to mount the tower stands for over there as of Monday when I was up.

IceEidolon

A snowblower is a thing. It blows snow.

It's not a snowgun.

Snowguns make snow, snowblowers move snow. If you want to use the wrong word, that's on you - you're welcome to call the snowcats "tractors" and the lifts "cable ways" too.

Edit: anyone disagreeing with this is welcome to link a snowgun manufacturer's website where they call their equipment a snowblower, and I'll shut up about it.

Last edited:

Hawk

Nope, they elected to sit the one night window out given the Fri/Sat forecast. They are planning to go full throttle as soon as possible Saturday night on. Plus, they still have a bit of work on the Spruce system overhaul. At least three fans yet to mount the tower stands for over there as of Monday when I was up.
Maybe a smart move. Saturday looks to be monsoonal. LOL
Probably headed there first to ski and visit Don's new Brewery in Gorham. Hopefully in two weeks.