• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why do you live where you live?

SKIQUATTRO

Grew up in central CT (Glastonbury) 2hrs to MtSnow..grew up skiing in VT everyweekend and trips to CO and UT as my mom was a travel agent ang got sick deals.

After college, ened up living/working in NYC...hated it, move to Long Beach to surf before/after work but had to commute via LIRR which was aweful. Humans were not meant to live in the city and commute like that.

Moved to Long Island (jobs) and my wife is from here so family is close by and my folks are 2hrs up the road and retired..so anytime we need babysitting we have a ton of fam around.

Likes: Beautiful North Shore of Long Isand on LI Sound, look across to Stamford, close to NYC to hit a show/dinner/culture which we do a few times a year, great school system, close to surfing and the east end wine country and my inlaws home on Peconic Bay where i have my boat./waterski/windsurf etc,,my office is 6mi from home (own biz), lots of family around (IRISH so always a party to be had!)

Dislikes: far from mtns, can have traffic like anywhere..expensive...

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
i forget where but me and deadhead got into the problems of living in NYC. i live here because its where the client base is but i am doing it so i can pack up and take the money i have made and return home to VT. i love the people in the city but i love the way i feel when i am up north. unfortunatly there is now way for me to make nestegg with the skills i have in vt. so ihave to make my money here then bring back to VT.

good thread JD.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
i love the way i feel when i am up north. unfortunatly there is now way for me to make nestegg with the skills i have in vt. so ihave to make my money here then bring back to VT.

good thread JD.

you know, I feel the same way. I'll make build my nest egg down here, and then retire in VT. Wife feels the same way.

I could probably get the same work in VT, but I'd have to go through a lot of hassle to be back at my level up there and there's no guarantee the pay would be the same.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
What do you love about the place you call home?
  • Live right between the Whites and the Lakes
  • Live right along a river
  • No traffic
  • No attitudes
  • No congestion
  • Work in a college town
  • Reasonable cultural opportunities considering closest city is 40 minutes away
  • Lots of "open space"
  • Good compromise between being close to family/friends and close to mountains
  • Good job
  • Great outdoors opporuntities of all kinds including hiking, skiing, boating, swimming, golf, cycling, etc.
  • Shopping opportunities in Tilton WAY better than closest shopping to NEK
  • No income or sales tax
  • Door to door commute in 8 minutes

What do you hate about it?
  • Not many people our age (25-35)
  • Too far away from Boston
  • No good night life options
  • Restaurant options not as good as the NEK
  • Hour longer drive to VT ski areas than living in the NEK
  • Lack of job opportunities for the signficant other
  • An hour closer to the ocean than in the NEK but still two hours too far
  • No DJing opportunities

What would you change?
There is nothing that I want to change that I could possibly change. I really wish we had better social opportunities. There are very few people around here that are our age but still slightly better than VT where people are age were all townies with kids. At least around here there just aren't any people our age regardless.

Having grown up and gone to college in Northeast MA, lived on the northshore in Boston Metro area, been a weekend Boston kid from my teenage years on, moved to NEK VT, and settled in NH... I have come to believe this is the best compromise. I still miss the city and miss the ocean. Most of all I miss people of similar age and mentality. We'll see if that ever changes (in that I don't miss it... unlikely... or if we find some close friends eventually). Ultimately, it is people I miss most having moved north into the mountains. Everything else I left willingly enough (except the club scene but that died its own death so I left it by default). Will I consider that compromise worth while in another dozen years? Who knows. I think I won't feel any differently. The outdoor opportunities are just to great here. Such a great compromise from what I didn't like about NEK VT and what I didn't like about MA. Live hard, work hard, play hard. And relax during the summer :D

deadheadskier

Staff member
rivercoil, I think if you marketed yourself properly, you'd find a number of wedding dj opportunities on the lakes during the summer.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
rivercoil, I think if you marketed yourself properly, you'd find a number of wedding dj opportunities on the lakes during the summer.
Pfffffft. I am a club DJ, not a wedding DJ. :lol: There are plenty of opportunities for people who want to play schlock to the masses everywhere in this great country. Not a lot of people want to hear quality electronic music though. :D I know, I know... music snob.

hardline

you know, I feel the same way. I'll make build my nest egg down here, and then retire in VT. Wife feels the same way.

I could probably get the same work in VT, but I'd have to go through a lot of hassle to be back at my level up there and there's no guarantee the pay would be the same.

it seems alot of people i know feel the same way. im glad the wifey feels the same way. i just have to find a girl that feels the same and doesn't want to be so near the city.

Sky

Douglas, MA Right on the border of RI and CT

We moved here when we came back to New England after being in the Army for 9 yrs (last in Kentucky).

Why Douglas...we could afford it. My family (and my wife's) are from Weymouth. My sibs are still on the south shore. Our parents have passed since we've returned. Glad we were close for the finale!

I love that I live on 4 square miles of woods in my back yard. My kids loved growing up here...although power was frequently interupted during storms (winter and summer). 30 minutes to Providence, 1 hr to Boston.

Hate?...It's a drive to everything. 30 minutes to the Dr's, no grocery store in town, 60 minutes to work (Mass pike), 45 minutes to Wa... 3 - 3-1/2 to other decent skiing. Not so bad.

Change? Meh...I'd love to have a view...and I'd love to move out of Ma (to escape the taxes). But I like my house, the yard, the lake up the street. I'm good where I am for now. Doubt we'd move closer to skiing since Mrs Sky isn't into it.

Hawkshot99

Poughkeepsie NY. I live here because this is were I was born. Still live with my parents, but wanting to change that.

Like...
I like that it is a big enough area that there is lots to do. Shopping right by, as well as the Catskills with skiing/outdoors.

Dislike...
Too populated for me. I would like to live way out in the country were I cant see or hear any neighbors. Too far away from good mountains(1.5 hrs)

hardline

Poughkeepsie NY. I live here because this is were I was born. Still live with my parents, but wanting to change that.

Like...
I like that it is a big enough area that there is lots to do. Shopping right by, as well as the Catskills with skiing/outdoors.

Dislike...
Too populated for me. I would like to live way out in the country were I cant see or hear any neighbors. Too far away from good mountains(1.5 hrs)

too populated come down to the city

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Pfffffft. I am a club DJ, not a wedding DJ. :lol: There are plenty of opportunities for people who want to play schlock to the masses everywhere in this great country. Not a lot of people want to hear quality electronic music though. :D I know, I know... music snob.

Such a thing exists?

I'll see your electronic music snobbery and raise you my classical and romantic era music snobbery.

mondeo

Why?
My job. Large companies in my industry only exist in a handful of places, and most of the others either aren't geographically preferable (say, Kansas,) or the company itself isn't attractive to me (for example, unionized engineering workforce.)

What do I love?
Not much, really. Liked the culture in WNY better. To much sprawl in central CT; if you're going a town over you get on a highway. Mainly just the job.

Bad?
Politics, taxes, lack of unique culture, suburban sprawl, 3 hours from decent mountains, no snow.

Change?
I dunno. Probably a bit more rural and with snow first.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Where I live and why I like it:

I live in New England and hope to always live here because it's home. Chapters of my life have found me living in MA, CT, VT, ME and currently NH.

I've liked some of those places better than others, but some of that could be chalked up to where I am/was at that point in life. i.e. VT wouldn't work for me now, but it was wonderful at the time I was there....same for all the places I've lived in NE....even CT, which is more a suburb of NY :razz:

Things I don't like:

I could nit pick, but really nothing. I spent a solid five years living in other parts of the country, mainly the mid-west/atlantic. Had some good times, but it never felt like home and wherever I was always felt temporary.

I'm good where I am right now. If life circumstances results in my moving to another area of New England, I'm sure I'll be good there too.

As mentioned earlier, I've lived all over New England. No place I've been 'has it all', but everywhere has something unique and just enough convenience to something great to make it an enjoyable place to live. :grin:.

Mildcat

I live in Worcester.

The good- houses were cheap. That's why I bought a home here.

The Bad- everything else. It's Worcester Damn it.

Swamp Dog

Gilford NH.

I love that I was able to give up the rat race and escape MA to move here. I LOVE that I can see ski slopes from my back windows.

I love that my neighbor brings me veggies from her garden and eggs from her chicken coop.

I love that we started our own business and it's potential for success is pretty good.

I also love the local school system. It makes part time subbing much more tolerable.

There is nothing I hate about being here, yet. We've not been here a full year yet so the constant shoveling and plowing hasn't sunk in yet. Somehow I don't think it will be all that bad, that's what plows and snow blowers are for.

The only thing I'd change is to buy a house with the views we have while renting. Hopefully when our lease is up next spring we'll be all over that!

wa-loaf

Well I'm moving. Only 30 mins away. Leominster was good right at the intersection of RT2 (1hr to Boston) and 190 (20 mins to Worcester). Commuter Rail in town makes it easy to get to work and it's only 20 mins to Wachusett. Big enough town to have all the shops you need and it's not as messed up (scary) as Fitchburg.

Moving to Northborough. Top 5 school system in the state. My sister-in-law lives there and can help with child care. 40 Mins to Wachusett, train ride to work is a little shorter. Bad: real estate is still kinda tough in town, but definitely a better investment in the long run than Leominster.

Trekchick

Well I'm moving. Only 30 mins away. Leominster was good right at the intersection of RT2 (1hr to Boston) and 190 (20 mins to Worcester). Commuter Rail in town makes it easy to get to work and it's only 20 mins to Wachusett. Big enough town to have all the shops you need and it's not as messed up (scary) as Fitchburg.

Moving to Northborough. Top 5 school system in the state. My sister-in-law lives there and can help with child care. 40 Mins to Wachusett, train ride to work is a little shorter. Bad: real estate is still kinda tough in town, but definitely a better investment in the long run than Leominster.
I'll be thinking of you and your family during this transition.
Hope you get out there on the slopes a bit, perhaps to clear the mind and get a few grins.