• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why do you live where you live?

Mildcat

Well I'm moving. Only 30 mins away. Leominster was good right at the intersection of RT2 (1hr to Boston) and 190 (20 mins to Worcester). Commuter Rail in town makes it easy to get to work and it's only 20 mins to Wachusett. Big enough town to have all the shops you need and it's not as messed up (scary) as Fitchburg.

Moving to Northborough. Top 5 school system in the state. My sister-in-law lives there and can help with child care. 40 Mins to Wachusett, train ride to work is a little shorter. Bad: real estate is still kinda tough in town, but definitely a better investment in the long run than Leominster.

The traffic will be a little easier in in Northboro too and you'll have Ski Ward right up the street which could be good for the little ones.

Good luck with the move.

Warp Daddy

Well I'm moving. Only 30 mins away. Leominster was good right at the intersection of RT2 (1hr to Boston) and 190 (20 mins to Worcester). Commuter Rail in town makes it easy to get to work and it's only 20 mins to Wachusett. Big enough town to have all the shops you need and it's not as messed up (scary) as Fitchburg.

Moving to Northborough. Top 5 school system in the state. My sister-in-law lives there and can help with child care. 40 Mins to Wachusett, train ride to work is a little shorter. Bad: real estate is still kinda tough in town, but definitely a better investment in the long run than Leominster.

Best of luck to you and the children -- sounds like a GOOD plan

deadheadskier

Staff member
The traffic will be a little easier in in Northboro too and you'll have Ski Ward right up the street which could be good for the little ones.

Good luck with the move.

Yep, after school program at Ward is where I learned. I spent the first year of my life in Northboro and the next twelve after that in Westboro.

It will be a great place for you and your family

wa-loaf

I'll be thinking of you and your family during this transition.
Hope you get out there on the slopes a bit, perhaps to clear the mind and get a few grins.

Good luck with the move.

Best of luck to you and the children -- sounds like a GOOD plan

Thanks, I'm definitely doing Thursday nights at WA for racing. A few Monday mornings or Sunday evenings with the kids. Gonna head to Colorado in March/April; a gift from my buddy who lives there. Hopefully will get up to VT/NH 2-4 times as well. That should all keep me sane for the winter.

I forgot about Ski Ward. That'll be handy for quick trips with the kids.

Geoff

I lived in NoBro for a few years in the late-1980's when I was working in Marlboro. Wasn't a particularly great place for a single guy in his late 20's.

wa-loaf

I lived in NoBro for a few years in the late-1980's when I was working in Marlboro. Wasn't a particularly great place for a single guy in his late 20's.

I can see that. Probably lots of cougars running around now. I may have to start hitting up Match.com next year.

bvibert

Staff member
I live where I live because I was born in this area. I was too stupid to move away before starting a family. Now it would seem too cruel to move the kids away from their grandparents without good reason. Not to mention the free babysitting that comes with having family around...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com

Good luck on your move!

Why am I here? I was born in this freakin' city, I've lived here all but 8 months of my life, and apparently I won't be escaping any time soon. I used to work only 1 mile from home, my family is nearby... it is, in many ways, easy.

On the other hand... I really just want to get away from everything I've always known and do something different. I never even went away to college, for cripes' sake! But like Brian already mentioned, now that we have kids, it doesn't seem right to move them away from their grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousin. And at least our families help out when they can.

Warp Daddy

I live where I live because I was born in this area. I was too stupid to move away before starting a family. Now it would seem too cruel to move the kids away from their grandparents without good reason. Not to mention the free babysitting that comes with having family around...

I WAS lucky -- MY dad took me aside when i was in college ( went out of state ) and said to me GET out of here as SOON as you graduate OR you'll NEVER get out of here . Our families were all in teh same town for several generations and were PLACE bound

since i'd been out of state at college it seemed like the right thing to do , so when teh Queen and i were engaged we defined WHAT we wanted to do and in WHAT kind of area we wanted to live and raise a family ultimately - we only looked for employment in THOSE areas -- I was LUCKY i had great advice from my dad

Mildcat

Thanks, I'm definitely doing Thursday nights at WA for racing. A few Monday mornings or Sunday evenings with the kids. Gonna head to Colorado in March/April; a gift from my buddy who lives there. Hopefully will get up to VT/NH 2-4 times as well. That should all keep me sane for the winter.

I forgot about Ski Ward. That'll be handy for quick trips with the kids.

If you need help moving just say so. I have a van and I'm not far away.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
If you need help moving just say so. I have a van and I'm not far away.

chances.jpg

... yeah...

All kidding aside Jens, I'm more than willing to lend a hand if you want it. I'm a furniture mover extraordinare. Anything I can make fit through a door way, I make it smaller via a chainsaw. Or the door bigger. Which ever is most convenient at the time.

wa-loaf

I don't have a place yet. I did put an offer in last night, but who knows. Some folks haven't come to terms with the market and the likelyhood that prices are going to go down another 10-15% in the next year. I'm making offers with that in mind, so it may take awhile.

When I know for sure that I'm moving I guess I'll have to have a moving party. I'll buy pizza and beer, but you'll only get the beer after everything is in the new place. :)

Glenn

When I know for sure that I'm moving I guess I'll have to have a moving party. I'll buy pizza and beer, but you'll only get the beer after everything is in the new place. :)

That's actually a good idea. My boss was telling me story about painting his first house. He and his wife invited a bunch of friends over to help paint the exterior of the house. Long story short, his advice was to start cracking beers AFTER the job was done. He said things got a little sloppy as the day went on. :lol:

wa-loaf

That's actually a good idea. My boss was telling me story about painting his first house. He and his wife invited a bunch of friends over to help paint the exterior of the house. Long story short, his advice was to start cracking beers AFTER the job was done. He said things got a little sloppy as the day went on. :lol:

Right and in this case moving heavy objects and driving is involved. :lol:

Mildcat

chances.jpg

... yeah...

All kidding aside Jens, I'm more than willing to lend a hand if you want it. I'm a furniture mover extraordinare. Anything I can make fit through a door way, I make it smaller via a chainsaw. Or the door bigger. Which ever is most convenient at the time.

Keep that up and you'll be living in a van down by the river.

mfvan.jpg