• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why resorts suck...

JD

Website
hotmail.com
From a resort message board....

"Last Saturday we head straight up North Lynx to hit our favorite SB run. A friend got there first and dropped in the traverse too low, understandable with all the snow and no tracks. We all follow, and end up having to do some serious trail breaking to get to and through the traverse. It's really hard work in all that snow, we had a pretty big group, maybe 8 in all, some faster than others. Early in the traverse 2 late 20ish, 30 ish guys fell in at at the back of the posse and follow us to the end of the traverse. In all it's probably 15 minutes of hard slogging - ther're in the back the whole way, chatting away, which at that point was fine.

UNTIL. We got to the opening and as we were rezipping, etc they scooted around us and poached the untracked run. We called bs, but they went on and skied what we'd worked so hard to reach. Now there was still plenty of untracked, and it may have been the best run I've ever skied here, but it was a really offensive move on thier part we thought. We were really looking forward to having a conversation with them at the bus stop but they got a lift before we got out. Quite honestly it was very lucky for them they did, because my bud who broke trail most of the way is very large and was very steamed, as were the other 3 guys.

As fate would have it, the Mrs and I headed to Ellen, and who do we end up in line next to other than these 2 dicks. I lit in to them a bit and suprisingly they elected not to ride the lift with us. One of the guys said 'what were we supposed to do, wait?'. I told him since we were a big group all he needed to do was ask to play through or go find somewhere else back there since we were the first group into Slide Brook that day and there was plenty of other untracked, all of it in fact.

So, folks, righteous poach or bad karma inducing dick - head move?

By the way, one of the gents wore a lime green jacket and his bro sports a blue coat and has a beard.

ps. Maybe the best part of this is that later in the day I heard not one, but 2 regulars around here say they 'were first in and it was awesome, etc...' I admire skiers who leave no tracks.

Aggro bullshit. Makes me laugh. On a day that should have been full of powder love, someone still finds a reason to hate, then bitch at someone in the lift line. The sense of entiltilement is mind blowing.
That is all.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
WTF is that all about? Maybe I don't understand because I've never been in that sort of situation, but really? Get all steamed up over that? Life is too short...

tjf67

. If I just broke the trail for a group and some stanger took the first line down after my hard work I guess I would have been a little ticked. I know some teleheads that would have been down rite furious about it. Teleheads tend to be big with there opinions a little less when push comes to shove.

I speant the good part of two days over the summer trudging up a hill with a buddy cutting a couple of lines. I was ticked when he brought some other people in he was trying to impress and skied the lines i cut before i had a chance to. It only lasted a few minutes and i am over it now.

Moral of the story. Don't stop till you are at the lift.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've broken trail out to Angel Food plenty before and had this happen. Not cool, but whatever; not worth getting as pissed about it as these folks were.

SkiDork

WTF is that all about? Maybe I don't understand because I've never been in that sort of situation, but really? Get all steamed up over that? Life is too short...

I hear ya Carrie... Well said....

See ya in a few weeks....

Dork...

ski220

Well, in my opinion that was pretty bad form but... you were at a RESORT.

As for Angle Food - there are umpteen lines out there. You don't HAVE to stop at the bench for a safety meeting before heading down. And ever since someone built the bridge over the stream (several years ago) it's really just another trail.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well, in my opinion that was pretty bad form but... you were at a RESORT.

As for Angle Food - there are umpteen lines out there. You don't HAVE to stop at the bench for a safety meeting before heading down. And ever since someone built the bridge over the stream (several years ago) it's really just another trail.

From my understanding, Slidebrook is vastly larger than Angel Food AND it's on the Freaking Map! Granted, it's on the map as a guided tour option, but I'm sure plenty of folks see it and say screw the guide and just go and explore on their own. Given the opportunity, that's what I'd do.

I agree it was bad form, but to get all big bully and say good thing for them they took off as my Big Ass Friend was pissed insinuating that physical harm might have been done is totally lame. Not saying you disagreee with me on that point, just restating how stupid and over the top the authors position is.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Poaching someone else's (or the lead bootpacker's/skinner's) line occurs a lot in the backcountry too. Very uncool.

I just don't see how this makes resorts suck.

I've never seen any of this type of behavior in the Back Country. In fact...we generally go round around about who goes first, but it's more of a..."you go first. No, you go. No really you go." The rush for untracked lines and the bs attitude about
'It's my line..." This guy MISSED the traverse...then was so discombobulated getting his $#!T together that folks behind him passed him. For him to then get into a confrontation in the lift line is LAME! lamelamelame.
IMO.

snowmonster

I've never seen any of this type of behavior in the Back Country. In fact...we generally go round around about who goes first, but it's more of a..."you go first. No, you go. No really you go." The rush for untracked lines and the bs attitude about
'It's my line..." This guy MISSED the traverse...then was so discombobulated getting his $#!T together that folks behind him passed him. For him to then get into a confrontation in the lift line is LAME! lamelamelame.
IMO.

Lots of different behavior in the BC. It's good that your companions (so far) have been courteous -- or scared!

Anyway, I agree that this is really BS behavior. Next time you hike around at Sugarbush, be sure you have AZers with you. We will never poach your line! =)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Very very bad Karma. This is not a thread about taking something too seriously. This is a thread about common courtesy. This also is not resort exclusive. It can happen in the BC too but much less likely because people are more familiar with what breaking trail entails.

If it was a short traverse in moderate powder then you gotta go go go. But if it is a long traverse through deep snow that is tiring, the rear party needs to offer to help break trail or respect the efforts of those immediately in front. That is just mean to follow immediately behind a party breaking trail, not offer to help, and nail the line while the trail breaker catches their breath.

Its just rude and uncalled for.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Yes, it was rude and uncalled for. But that's not what I commented on: it was the reaction to the situation. If it's "bad karma" then it's understood that karma is something that is meted out without personal intervention; what goes around comes around. No need for a person to suggest physical harm over a poached line; that's an over-reaction to the situation at hand, especially since it was noted that there was still plenty of untracked left.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The day I feel the need to get into a physical altercation with someone on a ski slope is the day I give up the sport.

Unless it's someone like Dana who generally deserves an ass kicking every now and then :lol:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Physical threats are certainly uncalled for. But I also think as a people, we need to do a better job calling out ass holes. They obviously don't know they did something wrong (maybe they did, in that case they would be sociopaths) so I think it totally on point to call them out (in a non-threatening way at least). But this thread should be about what happened, not the reprisal taken (at least IMO, that seems to be the spirit of JDs original post, though I could be wrong).

deadheadskier

Staff member
Where do you draw the line though in terms of calling someone out? In my opinion the lift line isn't it. Chances are if I saw that kind of scene going on in a lift line and I was standing right next to the feuding parties, I'd tell them both to shut the F up. Chances are there are going to be kids around or others whom really don't want to see 'road/skiing rage' while there. I deal with enough that crap driving around Boston every day, last place I want to deal with it is on the slopes.

It's certainly obvious what they did was wrong, but it really isn't worth it enough to get up in arms over it. Assholes are everywhere in this world, calling those guys out won't necessarily change their behavior in the future.

.....let it go is what I say. Not worth getting that angry over.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
So does that mean the next time I poach Jeff's line down Nor'Easter, he should beat me up over it?

I ski to unwind and get away from the daily stress. Yes, there are buttholes everywhere. Letting them work me up only serves to ruin my day; they'll still be buttholes when they leave and probably wouldn't give a poop about what I have to say anyway.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Yea....if you find yourself pissed off at the Mtn on a POW day, you have some real issues. If you really want to be first....I got two words...Dawn Patrol.