• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why resorts suck...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Assholes are everywhere in this world, calling those guys out won't necessarily change their behavior in the future.
But not calling out bad behavior will absolutely definitely not change future behavior.

I have done the pissed off vent don't you be doing that approach. It does not work. But calmly and civilly having a dialog? You might be able to make a point.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
So does that mean the next time I poach Jeff's line down Nor'Easter, he should beat me up over it?
Depends how long you broke trail to get there..... I don't see this as comparable. I would have no issues if someone poached my line while I was standing around at the top of a trail I just took a lift to get to. If I am standing around while other people want some goods, I am going too slow. The breaking trail issue puts this into a different category.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Um....this post was not about me.....I just happened to read it and thought that the poster was a tool for being so aggro about resort woods. And that attitude is a large part of the reason I moved away from the "canned ski product" experience. But I agree....the dude should have had his $#!t together and dropped in if he gave that much of a crap.

I remember in college I was skiing some woods at Stowe and came upon "Oh Shit"..there were three boarders chilling at the entrance and I buzzed past and they were like..."Hey"...now that's not backcountry but with fresh poe in front there's no reason to linger like the Cranberries song..

Last week at Stowe..I was skiing the Widowmaker glade..which I hadn't skied yet this season so I was making slow and deliberate turns to avoid hazards..well around the one corner..3 skiers were just standing staring at fresh poe and I popped past them and they were like....hey..now not only did they snooze and lose but I was skiing freaking slow..der der der..I love the frantic nature of tracking out the Poe which resorts provide..to me the competition for freshies is part of the fun..and a few people stealing your freshies make little difference..most people don't even ski the best lines..as long as you can find some nice pockets of Poe..it will be mad Edgar Allen..what what...or que que for all the spanish speaking snow sports enthusiasts..

dmc

Very very bad Karma. This is not a thread about taking something too seriously. This is a thread about common courtesy.

Veiled threats about some pissed off big guy - who broke trail - take it to the serious level...

When I hear about these incidents it tears at me...

woody

Being the leader breaking trail always reminds me of roadbike racing.The guy pulling at the front is either the strongest,dumbest or most eager.Either way all ways the most vunerable.As soon as you see the other party closing in,some desisions have to be made.Hammer down and gap the creeps or slow up and let them lead,then maybe you steal it.Fun stuff.

kingdom-tele

JD- it would be better if the title just said people suck

go to a resort and get pissed because there are people not doing what you think is right or good karma, or whatever other crap, get a clue, almost a dumb as yelling at another car on the road, same goes for skiing destination BC spots

and I concur, the BC does not have these issues, at least not my BC

bumpcrasher

JD

I have had similiar experiences in that area as well. Earlier this year, I also broke trail going into that area on the traverse (not that easy--but not the end of the world either). When you come out of the traverse under SBX, its a kind of natural stopping point to wait for you crew, gear up, safety-break, whatever is necessary. I know that eventually, people will be coming down that traverse looking for the same powder that I am.

I figure at that point, if I want "first-tracks" I should get my arse in gear and get out of there. If not, I gotta say, its free game for whoever comes out of the traverse. This has happened to me before and I did not think twice about it. Nor would I ever berate someone in a liftline where there might be other people (ie. kids) around. Especially about something as "minor" as jumping ahead of me on a powder run (poach or no poach). Knowing that SB has SO much terrain, I just kind of eyed out where they were going and went a different route. Plenty of untracked in there to make it a non-issue.

In short, I dont think the powder is really "reserved" for anyone and I dont think it has anything to do with the "resort" or people at the Bush. In fact, last week at Jackson Hole, I carved out a much worse traverse in powder conditions and once I came to the end, my line got hit by two other guys who were faster to drop in (still blaming by buddy for that one!!) However, I believe it was totally fair-game and would not have expected anyone (including those two guys) to wait for me or my friend to get in gear.

Now, I am not sure if you or anyone would get upset for jumping ahead of you. Is is fair game to go ahead of you if you stop once you enter the run of SB? Is it alright to go ahead if you were not the ones to break out the traverse? Just wondering as its kind of rare to get many bad vibes on a ski hill (especially a powder day!)

JD

Website
hotmail.com
If I had been the one heading into Slide Brook for a run down the Shaft on a deep day I would:
A) Not be skiing with SEVEN OTHER PEOPLE.
2) Stopped with people behind me
and last...given a crap about it if I was with SEVEN OTHER PEOPLE and decided we were all gonna regroup before dropping in.
Then to feel it's my right to bitch at the people who were more expeditious then me and my group once I caught up with them is absurd and brings a bunch of bad energy to a place where we all go to escape such things. I BCski with people all the time, never run into any bad vibes. When I hit Dawn Patrol at the area I used to hold a pass at (Stowe) I hit it and quit it before the lift served skiing starts, BUT, I am the cause of a bunch of Crap talking going on because I go up and "ski peoples lines". I stopped in the shop to get a core shot filled and heard all about it...from people who used to be my riding buddies....so I feel it is a resort-centric thing. And as much as I agree in general about people sucking, I feel this phenomeanon (sp) is a resort thing. I thing when SOME people pay alot of money for the privlage to get their butts carted uphill, some tend to feel a sense of entitlement.

as in ," It's MY line, my OWN....my....precious!"
I guess the author of this post should have rented the "PowderCat" if he really wanted freshies....or brought a Clay Brook Condo so he could load early....
On the SkiMRV board, most people think his rant is rediculous as well, which is a good thing to see.

bumpcrasher

Huh? Putting up skis or a snowboard will stop someone from going downhill?? I guess that is one approach but if another skier puts up a barrier at the end of a traverse to keep me from getting into ski SB, it does not take a huge amount of skill to simply ski around them.

Slidebrook is Slackcountry and you did not really "earn" anything by carving out the traverse. Blocking the entrance (while completely useless) is a pretty bold statement. How about if someone comes out of the traverse you simply say "hey, mind if I go first as I just did all that hard work?" Much easier work than (in this case) waiting for a group of 8 people to get ready to take a powder run?!?!? Seriously, that still makes me laugh :)

jaywbigred

untracked pow is overrated ...

There is your answer right there. Pow is generally overrated. People go crazy. Its fun, but c'mon!

People just need to wake-up and realize skiing bumps is where its at!

Last time I checked, there are no traverses to bump lines, and if someone poaches your line, you mutter under your breath, get back on the lift, and ski it the next run.

/Can't believe it took this long for an AZ thread to bring up bumps!

jaywbigred

But one you have to pay for....

Oh that's naive.

Virgins and pow cost you plenty of time, money and hard work before you get the gusto.

Bumps and ladies of the night take a lot less time and hard work, but perhaps a little bit more money.

This extended metaphor works a little too well...