• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Blows (snow!)

yeggous

Wildcat opened a bunch of natural runs. Are they making any snow?

Not that I know of. I don't know whether they quiet. Too cold? Giving the snowmakers a rest? Wrapping up for the year?

I do know that management was especially disappointed with the Christmas Eve rain followed by cold. They were running well ahead of last year but now are just even. This is largely the result of lots of natural snow last Christmas week, and nothing this time around.

Yesterday I saw a question about what trails that have yet to blow on, and where they have pipe. I was unable to respond because I was locked out due to the database error. I know the posts were lost, but there is the answer...

Trails with usable pipe that saw snowmaking last year but have yet to see love this year:
Wildcat Pitch / Lower Wildcat
Tomcat Schuss
Catnap
Black Cat

The lower half of lift lion has already seen snowmaking and is sporadically being groomed though it is not advertised.

I know that management really wants to blow snow on Upper Wildcat and intended to try it out last year before the train fell off the tracks. As previously mentioned, the pipe on that trail is ancient so expectations are low.

yeggous

wonder if we'll see continued pipe replacement and more new guns next summer.

They still have some unused pipe that they did not get around to installing last year. It is sitting in the parking lot by the facilities shed. That is all I know on that front.

MadMadWorld

Not that I know of. I don't know whether they quiet. Too cold? Giving the snowmakers a rest? Wrapping up for the year?

I do know that management was especially disappointed with the Christmas Eve rain followed by cold. They were running well ahead of last year but now are just even. This is largely the result of lots of natural snow last Christmas week, and nothing this time around.

Yesterday I saw a question about what trails that have yet to blow on, and where they have pipe. I was unable to respond because I was locked out due to the database error. I know the posts were lost, but there is the answer...

Trails with usable pipe that saw snowmaking last year but have yet to see love this year:
Wildcat Pitch / Lower Wildcat
Tomcat Schuss
Catnap
Black Cat

The lower half of lift lion has already seen snowmaking and is sporadically being groomed though it is not advertised.

I know that management really wants to blow snow on Upper Wildcat and intended to try it out last year before the train fell off the tracks. As previously mentioned, the pipe on that trail is ancient so expectations are low.

I don't understand the desire to blow on Upper Wildcat. I get that it's another option from the summit but that trail gets destroyed by winds. Although it would provide more snow and better access for......

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's pretty much it.....taking pressure off Catapult and Lynx. It does get crushed by wind though, you are right. They could just use another trail off the top.. Maybe between Upper Polecat and Upper Lynx? Less wind on that aspect

Newpylong

Doesn't the pipe run all the way from the top in between Top Cat / Lift Lion extending all the way down to Starr Line / Black Cat and then Panther / Alley Cat. Or does it stop at Catwalk and switch sides just going down Alley Cat?

Is there any reason they do not make it on Lift Lion from the top anymore? Questionable pipes?

It would be nice to see some more advanced terrain and another route from the top opened. Hopefully in their replacement plans...

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's what I thought. I know it's the case up top, but can't recall if continues straight down Panther as you said. In theory, they should be able to blow both Top Cat and Lift Lion off the same pipes with ground guns.

yeggous

I am a Wildcat fanboy, but I am getting concerned. I have not heard anything about ongoing snowmaking at either Wildcat or Attitash this week. The temperatures have been perfect so I am not sure what the story is. I hate to think that they tightened the purse strings the week before MLK Day, but I don't have any other explanation.

Newpylong

I am thinking they shot their wod pretty good last week. Maybe next week they will fire up? I keep asking them on Facebook if they're gonna move to some advanced terrain...

yeggous

I am thinking they shot their wod pretty good last week. Maybe next week they will fire up? I keep asking them on Facebook if they're gonna move to some advanced terrain...

What is point of firing up last week but not this week? They'll already be past the holiday weekend.

drjeff

Peak is usually very good with their "snow management science" especially the last few years with Brendan Ryan doing some company wide snowmaking efficiency and output research based out of Wildcat the last few years that they have started to implement company wide.

Peak tends to have a solid grasp at how many acre-feet of snow they need to cover specific trails for a target closing date, assuming relatively normal temps, and the fleet of new Ratniks, HKD impulses and Snow Logic's they added to their arsenal have been putting out some big volume of snow

Gforce

I am a Wildcat fanboy, but I am getting concerned. I have not heard anything about ongoing snowmaking at either Wildcat or Attitash this week. The temperatures have been perfect so I am not sure what the story is. I hate to think that they tightened the purse strings the week before MLK Day, but I don't have any other explanation.

I suspect once Peak has a deep base established they begin to taper off the snow making and just do touch ups as needed. If you read their snow reports it would seem to support that theory. Also they shut down the snow making ops once the Feb school vacation weeks arrive so unfortunately there is only 3-4 weeks left of the Guns blasting, we are well onto the back-9 for snow making season. NH desperately needs a legitimate Snow Storm, that will cure everything...

yeggous

I suspect once Peak has a deep base established they begin to taper off the snow making and just do touch ups as needed. If you read their snow reports it would seem to support that theory. Also they shut down the snow making ops once the Feb school vacation weeks arrive so unfortunately there is only 3-4 weeks left of the Guns blasting, we are well onto the back-9 for snow making season. NH desperately needs a legitimate Snow Storm, that will cure everything...

I was there on Sunday. The guns and hoses were are lined up on Black Cat. I can only assume that means they'll light them up this week.