• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Mountain 2016-2017 season thread

deadheadskier

Staff member
Looking really good up there. Guns and hoses are in position, slopes are well manicured.

Soon......

Attachments

• 1475963787399.jpg
    1475963787399.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 424
  • 1475963799832.jpg
    1475963799832.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 423
  • 1475963823402.jpg
    1475963823402.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 418
  • 1475963848324.jpg
    1475963848324.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 419

deadheadskier

Staff member
More from today

Attachments

• 1475963882110.jpg
    1475963882110.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 402
  • 1475963893969.jpg
    1475963893969.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 398
  • 1475963918637.jpg
    1475963918637.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 400
  • 1475963939614.jpg
    1475963939614.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 402

Jully

Wow. Those are beautiful pictures. Didn't realize they took that good care of the slopes in the off season!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Didn't realize they took that good care of the slopes in the off season!

I didn't either. The trails were definitely trimmed in the past few weeks. I hiked part way up Lynx a few weekends ago when the Gondola was on wind hold and it hadn't been trimmed.

I really haven't spent much time up there in summer prior to this year outside of driving up to take a look if I'm in the MWV for other purposes. This year four times I've taken advantage of my pass benefit of being able to take one free ride daily up the gondola. Each time I've walked down instead of taking the lift. Polecat only prior to today when I decided to go Middle Lynx to Catenary.

Today was the busiest I had seen the parking lot of all my visits this summer/fall. Pretty much peak foliage and great weather will do that I guess.

yeggous

Foliage in the valley is excellent right now. Very good year.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

RISkier

Looking good! I've only made it to Wildcat once. It was a beautiful spring week day with tons of great snow. One of my best ski days ever. We were worn out by noon; that fast lift is a real killer when all you do is ski down, ski on, and fly up the hill to do it again. Really want to get back.

canobie#1

Just curious do the Cougar and Catenary trails have snowmaking pipes on them?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Catenary does yes. I can't remember if Cougar has its on dedicated pipes, but they could easily pull hoses through the woods if it does not.

canobie#1

I would love to see them cover those trails this season, the all natural is great but covering these would definitely spread the crowds out more and allow for earlier-later season skiing on them. Tomcat Schuss is another one that should be blasted on.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well, in a perfect world, Wildcat would have working pipes and guns to make snow on every trail except Feline, Hairball, Star Line, Spynx, the Chute and Leo's. Basically all the trails that they can get a groomer down. The 90% snowmaking coverage they advertise, which in reality is probably more like 60-70%. I don't see that ever happening until they expand their snowmaking pond significantly.

In terms of where I'd like to see them make snow where they often don't, it is definitely Gondi Line. I think every mountain should have at least one signature expert run that is reliably open each winter with snowmaking. The Lift Lion portion of Gondi Line can open with minimal natural. Black Cat not so much. They did make snow on it a few years ago and it was absolutely killer in the spring, but I feel it should see the same attention as trails like Catapult get. So, given the choice, I'd rather see that be a priority over Cougar, Catenary and Tomcat Schuss. Those three trails are pretty well manicured and can open on minimal natural. Even last winter I got to ski them. It would be great for snow to be made on them, but they're not at the top of the priority list for me.

The other thing to consider is if they do spread out more with the trails they make snow on, that could take away from base building efforts on Lynx to carry them through April. I wouldn't want to miss out on late season skiing on Lynx because they blew their budget elsewhere.

Hopefully we get a normal winter of 150-200" and none of it really matters much and Mother Nature opens the mountain to 100% on her own by mid-January.

Brad J

Well, in a perfect world, Wildcat would have working pipes and guns to make snow on every trail except Feline, Hairball, Star Line, Spynx, the Chute and Leo's. Basically all the trails that they can get a groomer down. The 90% snowmaking coverage they advertise, which in reality is probably more like 60-70%. I don't see that ever happening until they expand their snowmaking pond significantly.

In terms of where I'd like to see them make snow where they often don't, it is definitely Gondi Line. I think every mountain should have at least one signature expert run that is reliably open each winter with snowmaking. The Lift Lion portion of Gondi Line can open with minimal natural. Black Cat not so much. They did make snow on it a few years ago and it was absolutely killer in the spring, but I feel it should see the same attention as trails like Catapult get. So, given the choice, I'd rather see that be a priority over Cougar, Catenary and Tomcat Schuss. Those three trails are pretty well manicured and can open on minimal natural. Even last winter I got to ski them. It would be great for snow to be made on them, but they're not at the top of the priority list for me.

The other thing to consider is if they do spread out more with the trails they make snow on, that could take away from base building efforts on Lynx to carry them through April. I wouldn't want to miss out on late season skiing on Lynx because they blew their budget elsewhere.

Hopefully we get a normal winter of 150-200" and none of it really matters much and Mother Nature opens the mountain to 100% on her own by mid-January.

Please make snow on Gondiline, this is my third year pleading, I am wearing out my knees!!!! His would spread out the crowd on Lynx and the mountain would ski much better IMO

frapcap

Bumping this one up-
Looks like the Cat is considering blowing snow early. Guns are tested and they seem about ready to rock and roll.
Wonder if the new Peak concept is to open sooner than previous years?

deadheadskier

Staff member
They started blowing on Upper Lynx Monday night and into yesterday, but said they will not be opening this weekend. They said early to mid November is the plan. So, I'd say there's a small chance of opening on the 5th, but the 12th is probably more likely.