• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat

bigbob

I clicked on the summit webcam and I was looking toward the sun so the picture was not to clear, but there was an excavator in the view and a pile of rubble. Did they tear down the old summit gondola building finally?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Bummer. Really wish they would rehab it, but I guess the building was probably too far gone at this point. Did that facility ever have water/sewer?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The next one on the list is Mount Snow's Ego Alley lift terminal. That's supposed to be teared down, but I don't know when. I'll speculate that since Wildcat and MS are both owned by Peak they would tear down both buildings in the same year so they could use the same contractor.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
The next one on the list is Mount Snow's Ego Alley lift terminal.

Being the "unofficial Mount Snow historian," did you get some pictures of this before anything happens?

Also, when I visited Wildcat on April 1, I took these photos without know that the building was on its deathbed.

DSCN0677.JPG

DSCN0680.JPG

Tough shape.

Edd

Hmm...seems to me they wouldn't bother unless something else were going in its place. I wonder what the plan is.

drjeff

The next one on the list is Mount Snow's Ego Alley lift terminal. That's supposed to be teared down, but I don't know when. I'll speculate that since Wildcat and MS are both owned by Peak they would tear down both buildings in the same year so they could use the same contractor.

Unless Mount Snow chooses to widen the Ego Alley trail to meet the current FIS race hill specs, the one of the main reasons for that top terminal on Ego Alley, the starting house for the GS and slalom hill, is useless. My guess is that if it can be patched up easily, they'll keep it standing. When something major structurally is needed, it will be coming down :(

Mount Snow switching their primary race hill from Ego Alley to an already FIS legal width South Bowl has been well received by the racing community (the general skiing/riding public maybe not so much as South Bowl is now closed more parts of the day for racing and training much more frequently than it used to be.

Newpylong

As much as the Ego lift has been my friend I wouldn't mind seeing the lift removed and the trail becoming more accessible.

drjeff

I don't mind the trail condition, but the Ego Alley lift is completely unnecessary now with the Bluebird. I'm guessing that'll come down with the terminal/gate.

Doubt it. There are multiple days per season when the winds are HOWLING that Ego is the only chair spinning in the general main base area that can get you more than 1/3 of the way up the mountain. Secondarily, even though most USSSA races now occur on South Bowl, plenty of training still occurs by the Mount Snow Academy and Competition Team racers on the Ego Alley trail and when Ego is spinning it gives the racers a generally quicker (via its non existant lift line 99% of the time) access to their next training run.

I'd bet that Ego stays up and spinning until it can no longer be safely maintained