• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will Auto Makers Ever Deliver the Ideal Ski Vehicle?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
"Ideal" is different things to different people. But for skiers, we know some facts that should generally translate into ideals. Skiers tend to drive long distances in the winter and often through the snow. Skiers tend to have varying amounts of gear depending upon number of people and quiver size but all skiers have minimum gear hauling needs. Due to longer travel, higher MPG is preferred but often MPG is sacrificed for space considerations due to family and gear needs. I think Hatch/Wagon style is more functional but not necessarily an ideal for all people, so we can disregard that item.

So three different sized vehicles would be needed: small and sporty for solo or couple with minimal gear, moderate sized for a family of four, and mega gear hauler for family of more than four or a group with massive amounts of gear.

Ideal vehicle would have superior fuel efficiency, good gear hauling nature, and all wheel drive. Unfortunately, in today's market, all wheel drive always means sacrificing fuel efficiency. Subaru Impreza 2012 addresses that with a reported 36 MPG highway but it is a small hatch and a family of four would require a gear box and still might barely fit. Perhaps a good ideal option for solo or couple, maybe a threesome. But also low on MPG compared to other cars that get 40 MPG or better. The Elantra has more space and better MPG! Still trade offs all over the place...

So why no diesel AWD or hybrid AWD? VW/Audi already have both diesel and AWD in some cards but never in the same car. Subaru has the AWD but not with hybrid or diesel. A few other manufacturers have both hybrid and AWD technologies but don't combine them. Is there a technological problem with combining high MPG tech with AWD? Or is it a demand issue? Will the tech required push prices too high? Why do auto makers see the need for AWD, hybrid, and diesel separately but don't combine them?

Cavet: I firmly believe that 4 snow tires is all any skier every truly needs. But it is hard to argue that 4 snows and AWD is the pinnacle of winter driving. But hardly an ideal when suffering at the pump. I don't see any AWD option right now being worth the long term financial fuel penalty.

deadheadskier

Staff member
By looking at the parking lots at most resorts, it would seem most 'skiers' care minimally about fuel efficiency. Highest percentage of SUVs you tend to see anywhere.

All I want is an AWD wagon, with MT that gets 35MPG highway, costs around 25K and will go for 200K miles with excellent reliability and low maintenance costs. That car, does not exist.

Puck it

Toyota has. It is tge FJ Cruiser. Love it. 100K in three years no problem. No carpet. Goes through anything. Had it in 4' of snow and no problem. Oh, it is great for off roading too.

Philpug

Upcoming Subaru VX...

subaru_xv-concept_f34_ns_419112_717.jpg

Now bring it here in a ****ing DIESEL!!!!!!!!

drjeff

What my wife will probably switch over too fairly soon.

audi-q7-tdi-angle-502.jpg

She's got an almost 5 year old gas Q7 right now with about 130k miles on it. Been a great meag hauler ski car for my family, essentially just routine maintenance (except of course when she's tried to back out of the garage with the tailgate up and a second time with one of the rear passenger doors still open :rolleyes: )

Been thinking about what her replacement will be, she'd like to go smaller to the Q5, but with 2 growing kids (and thir friends) and a dog we tend not to travel lightly and the carrying capacity of the Q7 has been great for us. The TDI Diesel option is defintely getting some thought from us. Time will tell

bvibert

Staff member
Ideal for me would be a AWD, turbo diesel, 6 speed MT, mid-sized wagon... a pass-through in the middle of the rear seat would be nice too. Not a big fan of crossovers.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Toyota has. It is tge FJ Cruiser. Love it. 100K in three years no problem. No carpet. Goes through anything. Had it in 4' of snow and no problem. Oh, it is great for off roading too.

2011 Subaru Outback comes close!
Horrible MPG on both counts!

Ideal includes high MPG. You take a massive MPG hit for what most people would consider a good skier vehicle based on current available options.

snoseek

I think Subies are pretty dialed in. I'm banking my little Tacoma with fours snows is gonna get it done. Just throw the shit in the back and go!

snoseek

How about the Honda Element? The milage is decent-not quite ideal-but good. The cargo room is awesome though!

mondeo

STI and Evo work fairly well for the small car segment. Screw the mileage, if you're paying $35k for a car and going skiing every or every other weekend, you're kidding yourself by worrying about the extra $10 per trip. Might as well have a car that's enjoyable to drive in the snow.

snoseek

An Element is only 25 mpg and it's horribly underpowered even with that dubious fuel economy.

My ex had one and we took it over LL and Berthoud pass often. It's not fast but can hold 70 no problem on Georgetown hill.

Cannonball

One thing you left out of the list of 'ideal' features is safety.

I drive a truck (Tundra) because I have to. I take it skiing when I need to. But the MPG is terrible (17) and even with 4WD pickups don't handle well in the snow due to light rearends. My wife drives our ski car. These days it's a CRV, previously it was Subarus (legacy). I've put a few pickups in the median during snowstorms. And I'm always leery of roll-over in the CRV, although it's actually been great. But the Subarus....never felt more confident in a car. With their wide, low stance and killer AWD I always felt 100% safe. Even passing plows at 75MPH in a blizzard. I think some of the Audis and Volvos can boast similar stance and handling. It counts for a lot.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Screw the mileage, if you're paying $35k for a car and going skiing every or every other weekend, you're kidding yourself by worrying about the extra $10 per trip. Might as well have a car that's enjoyable to drive in the snow.
The difference between 25 MPG and 35 MPG over the course of 200k miles at today's gas rates is $10,000. For some people that buy used, they could actually have saved more in gas than the price of their car simply by buying a car that gets at least 35 MPG.

I doubt the average person can afford a $35k car (I sure can't) but if someone factored in the gas mileage savings of higher MPG, you suddenly could in a long enough time line. Going from 20 MPG to 40 MPG is $20,000 savings at today's gas prices over 200k miles (or $10,000 in 100k miles since some have suggested looking at a 200k mile lifetime is unrealistic).

You can certainly say screw the mileage. But you have to admit, that is not ideal. Which was the point of this thread....

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The 11 Outback gets 31 mpg with the CVT right? That's better than horrible.

Actually, the Outback gets about 30mpg on the highway, so if you consider that horrible, I dont know what to say!
When you factor in non-highway driving, the combined is pretty miserable on a Subie, yes. 30 MPG highway is 10 MPG less than what gas cars are currently capable of so that is 1/3 less. But that is 1/3 on a scale from 0. On a scale of all passenger vehicles, it is really middle of the pack as all but the worst passenger non-performance non-truck vehicles get at least 20 MPG highway. Certain diesels can get 40+ MPG combined and certain hybrids get 40-50+ combined. Pretty much all compact cars by next year will be at 38-40 MPG excepting the Impreza. Yes, 30 MPG highway and low 20s combined is horrible from my perspective. See my previous post on the difference between 25 MPG combined vs 35 MPG combined and the associated costs.