• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will snowmaking shut down early this season?

icecoast1

Those bean counters added up a bunch of beans to put those two new lifts in. Burning cash running two lifts for a dwindling head count is not a wise use of resources IMHO if it can be done with one. In general, when it comes to spring skiing most folks are just content to be skiing and worry less about the terrain.
Should just close then. All that will be there are a few pass holders anyway. If they want to run just one lift, make more snow on some main face trails and keep the bluebird open. Keeping carinthia open is pointless if it's not parks anymore. Some of the most boring terrain on a relatively boring mountain anyway without it being a terrain park. Also this whole extending the season thing isn't really extending the season that much. It's only about a week or so past what it used to be before vail

drjeff

Calling @drjeff. How busy is Mount Snow after they've paired down to just Carinthia? Do people seem to enjoy still skiing?
From my experience, it's been busy enough to send the majority of chairs up with atleast someone in them, but the last week or 2, when they often have knocked down the features to keep typically Nitro at the end open (sometimes Deer Run to Gulch is also available at the end of the season), the crowd levels aren't what they would be if they still had some park features up I suspect as the park rats show up for most anything, even if they're not arriving until well after 1st chair in many instances. Also I will readily admit that I am not sure what the afternoon volume on those last days is, as typically I do the opening bell until noon or so session,

Kind of feels similar volume wise to me as to when they used to have the end of the season be out of the main base area. There are a lot of faces that I recognize, but overall not a lot of faces on the hill in my experience

Newpylong

That makes sense. To me it just doesn't seem rational to have all that snow sitting there (however bland the terrain may me) and make spring depth somewhere else. But that's just my ops hat not my skier hat.

drjeff

Mount Snow is firing up in the AM. Per the mtn ops Twitter feed, seems like most of the same trails on the Main Face and Sunbrook as last week

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Bretton Woods has not made snow in weeks. It looks like they are done making snow this year. Horrendous snowmaking year for BW. F for low effort.

ctdubl07

That makes sense. To me it just doesn't seem rational to have all that snow sitting there (however bland the terrain may me) and make spring depth somewhere else. But that's just my ops hat not my skier hat.
Having just returned from CA (at the wrong time) we chose to drive up mid morning. Kids met their park group at lunch. Apparently "last" Nitro has been rebuilt into a 2 option transition/landing jump...kids raved about air possibilities. Been snowing since noon with about 3 inches on deck, tapered off now. Took dog for walk around 5 and all guns at Carinthia base cranking...cant see much up hill but sounds like they are firing.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Do you think they bit off more than they could chew with the Gondi and Summit function facility and that is dragging them down?
Who knows?
FWIW. I heard on the lift , some snowmakers got caught smoking weed on the job and were canned. The rest of the snowmaking this season has been pretty subpar from that point on.

JimG.

Staff member
Belleayre making snow everywhere on Friday. Still making snow now.

Glad Vail pissed off Hunter's snowmakers so bad they all quit and came over to Belle. I'm sure the fact that Bruce Transue left Hunter to go to Belle also had something to do with it. Those guys are heroes in my book, especially this season.

ColdRain&Snow

No one is talking about this storm ???
Man this winter fucked everyone up...

I'm western edge of the Catskills easy 6 maybe 8 and dumping...

Hasn’t started yet in Waterbury…
But once it does should be heavy

After that December dump, it seems like every storm in southern Vermont this season has been way below expectations, stratton expected 7-10 inches and it was maybe 4, and wet/heavy.

zyk

Got another 4 or so last night. Now its 40 degrees. Going to drag in firewood.

skiur

Sounding like this is the final blow on supe for the year, they are gonna keep going until it warms up and that's it. There is a good amount of snow there but not as much as previous years, was a tough year for snowmaking, they had to start over a lot early season.

Newpylong

Unless conditions are beyond favorable, June is not going to be in the cards. I would go out on a limb and say base depths are at 50% of typical glacier. Skye Lark will go quick too as there has been no May push there. This year has been tough. I would gladly have the runs they covered this winter after many years hiatus than SS late, but that's just me.