• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will Sochi Olympics be a disaster?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Absolutely horrible by NBC. I was screaming at the TV to take the camera off the poor guy. My wife even came down from upstairs & asked what I was yelling about. Horrible interview, even more horrible that NBC allowed it to air.

You must not have gotten the memo. This isn't competition, this is entertainment! :(

drjeff

Bode Miller @MillerBode
I appreciate everyone sticking up for me. Please be gentle w christin cooper, it was crazy emotional and not all her fault. #heatofthemoment

It's a symbiotic relationship between the press and athletes. And the athletes need the coverage if they want name recognition for marketing purposes. You take the good with the bad.

Frankly, having followed Bode's career since he was a teen from Carrabassett Valley Academy who turned the ski world's head in circles when he was the 1st one to show up to the starting gate in a pair of shaped skis (K2 Fours) and then got some big results with them, through his incredible recovery in the 'O2 games from going from on his right hip at 60mph to the medal stand, through his overall world cup titles, to his "I'm going to party all night long" line that got him so much negative press in the '06 Torino games and now into his more "adult" reflective time where between injury and personal "trauma"

Christen Cooper, who did that interview with Bode, and herself was a surprise Olympic silver medalist in the Women's GS in the '84 Sarajevo games, did that interview as only someone who knows Bode and knows what it means on an emotional level to win an Olympic medal, could do. The fact that so many people, with little to no ski racing knowledge, totally got on her case about it just serves to prove the point that if you don't know the whole context of the story, don't rush to judgement! Bode summed it up very well

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

Warp Daddy

Frankly, having followed Bode's career since he was a teen from Carrabassett Valley Academy who turned the ski world's head in circles when he was the 1st one to show up to the starting gate in a pair of shaped skis (K2 Fours) and then got some big results with them, through his incredible recovery in the 'O2 games from going from on his right hip at 60mph to the medal stand, through his overall world cup titles, to his "I'm going to party all night long" line that got him so much negative press in the '06 Torino games and now into his more "adult" reflective time where between injury and personal "trauma"

Christen Cooper, who did that interview with Bode, and herself was a surprise Olympic silver medalist in the Women's GS in the '84 Sarajevo games, did that interview as only someone who knows Bode and knows what it means on an emotional level to win an Olympic medal, could do. The fact that so many people, with little to no ski racing knowledge, totally got on her case about it just serves to prove the point that if you don't know the whole context of the story, don't rush to judgement! Bode summed it up very well

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS !!

Cooper as a former Olympic medalist and World Cup star knows exactly what goes on emotionally ,rationally and understands ona level most could never grasp the EFFORT and dedication and the frustrarions that accompany one on the journey . I felt that this poignant glimpse into an obviously reflective and more mature version of Bode was a touching and meaningful insight into Miller as a FULLY grown and emotionally matured Bode . perhaps his dinest moment as he showed a TRUE self ,not just a commercialized and sanitized version of the heroic ending . Cooper is neither a villan ,nor is she an opportunist . Many who have followed Bode have seen many versions of Bode , THIS was his dinest hour. IMHO . A human being who gave his all and FELT the spiritual presence of his beloved brother ... I get It . Kudos to him for having achieved this state of being ...... Bravo Bode , you deserve our acclaim on THIS score

Gilligan

Yes, Bode summed it up well when he wrote, "it was crazy emotional and not all her fault." Not all her fault. It was only partially her fault for asking those awful questions, and it was partially Bode's fault for not walking away from her when she got so rude.

Personally, I blame the NBC execs that had plenty of time to review the tapes and assemble the show for air. Christen and Bode were caught in the emotion of the moment. The people that actually chose to air it deserve the real blame.

Gilligan

Have you seen today's Wikipedia entry for Christen Cooper?

"On February 16, 2014, while covering the Winter Olympics in Sochi as a reporter on alpine skiing for NBC, Cooper received criticism for her interview with Bode Miller after his bronze medal win in the men's super G event. During the post-event interview, as Miller became increasingly emotional, Cooper repeatedly questioned him about his late brother Chelone, who had passed away the previous April at the age of 29, until Miller broke down in tears and was unable to continue the interview. For her pressing of the issue, Cooper was described as having badgered Miller. NBC also received criticism for keeping the cameras on Miller, who sagged on the railing and cried without speaking, for more than a full minute, despite having had several hours in which to edit the footage before airing it.[SUP][11][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP]"

11. Dyce, Mike (17 February 2014). "NBC reporter badgers Bode Miller about dead brother till he cries". Fansided. Retrieved 17 February 2014.

12. Sandomir, Richard (17 February 2014). "NBC Pushes Too Far in Bringing Bode Miller to Tears". New York Times. Retrieved 17 February 2014.

BenedictGomez

If you think this was because of her being a ski racer herself and "understanding" what it's like and yada, yada, yada, then you havent been watching these Olympics very closely.

EVERY single friggin' NBC interview is being conducted exactly like this, whenever possible, it's just that this one took the cake (and the cannoli, and the doughnuts).

In fact, I am almost 100% certain someone was in her ear prodding Cooper with the "dead brother questions" during the interview due to the odd cadence that happened mid-interview. It was like she was distracted while asking the questions.

BenedictGomez

Yes, Bode summed it up well when he wrote, "it was crazy emotional and not all her fault." Not all her fault. It was only partially her fault for asking those awful questions, and it was partially Bode's fault for not walking away from her when she got so rude.

BINGO.

Miller's trying to be a class act as well as take it in stride, but that's as much of an indictment from him as you're ever going to realistically get.

Puck it

It did not need to be done. It was just for the shock and awe for the TV. It was personal and needed to stay personal. It was nobody's business but his. There was someone in her ear telling her to badge him to get to him to be emotional.

Warp Daddy

Wow you guys ARE getting all mushy here. It goes with the territory, dont put yourself out there if you expect privacy.

After all Bode puts himself out there ,he is in the spotlight and obviously his career has benefited from PUBLICITY of ANY stripe. If one is a celebrity and LETS get real here , without TV most wouldn't give a rat's ass about the winter olympics EXCEPT those of us who frequent ski forums . ALL of this GOES with territory. Toughen up or AHNOLD will be calling you all "GIRLY men". :):)

We had to see all of his wife's emotional musings , all the other meaningless banter , it is after all ENTERTAINMENT, not simply rather obscure athletes ( for the vast majority of viewers)playing in the snow for pieces of ribbon and bronze with 6 oz of gold .called GOLD medals ;). C'mon Bode has gotten more exposure and will reap financial benefit from this incident , lighten up he said ducking for cover hahahaha:stirpot:

drjeff

Wow you guys ARE getting all mushy here. It goes with the territory, dont put yourself out there if you expect privacy.

After all Bode puts himself out there ,he is in the spotlight and obviously his career has benefited from PUBLICITY of ANY stripe. If one is a celebrity and LETS get real here , without TV most wouldn't give a rat's ass about the winter olympics EXCEPT those of us who frequent ski forums . ALL of this GOES with territory. Toughen up or AHNOLD will be calling you all "GIRLY men". :):)

We had to see all of his wife's emotional musings , all the other meaningless banter , it is after all ENTERTAINMENT, not simply rather obscure athletes ( for the vast majority of viewers)playing in the snow for pieces of ribbon and bronze with 6 oz of gold .called GOLD medals ;). C'mon Bode has gotten more exposure and will reap financial benefit from this incident , lighten up he said ducking for cover hahahaha:stirpot:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
||||||||||||||||||||||

What Warp said!

All too often these days, we just get a "fluff" interview, and to a fault that's what we've often become accustomed too :(

Emotion, of many kinds is an integral part of sports, and life in general. Seeing it expressed, especially of one IS aware of the full context of it (and not just the once every 4 years media created "ideal narrative" story they put out there :mad: ) is a refreshing, and touching experience of how these people we see on TV doing amazing things underneath it all are just regular people who feel the whole host of emotions that we all do

Puck it

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
||||||||||||||||||||||

What Warp said!

All too often these days, we just get a "fluff" interview, and to a fault that's what we've often become accustomed too :(

Emotion, of many kinds is an integral part of sports, and life in general. Seeing it expressed, especially of one IS aware of the full context of it (and not just the once every 4 years media created "ideal narrative" story they put out there :mad: ) is a refreshing, and touching experience of how these people we see on TV doing amazing things underneath it all are just regular people who feel the whole host of emotions that we all do

That is a bunch of crap. That stuff does not need to be brought out. It a sporting event and that is it. Watch the sport and enjoy. It was painful to watch her pulling it out of him.

MadMadWorld

Again this goes to my hatred of the media coverage of the Olympics. They chastise athletes when they react negatively to losing but they eat all that sh!t up. I think it was obvious that this woman was looking to capture a "moment". What's sad is that she was just following the direction of the higher ups.

Puck it

Again this goes to my hatred of the media coverage of the Olympics. They chastise athletes when they react negatively to losing but they eat all that sh!t up. I think it was obvious that this woman was looking to capture a "moment". What's sad is that she was just following the direction of the higher ups.

exactly, she had an ear bud in her ear and director was telling her to push it when he started having trouble. Where are people's ethics? Oh, we don't teach those anymore.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
It seems like this trend of post race interviews trying to get emotion out of the participant started with Hanna Kearny. She got flamed in the headlines about her breaking down during the post race interview that kept prodding about "how does it feel to lose?”.

As we know both her and Bode ended up with bronze medal and obviously the situation with Bode's brother made it extra emotional for him (plus add the fact that it was likely the last Olympic race of his career where he had a realistic chance to medal) and he broke down crying.

There was also the 4th place women’s luger who got questioned into crying after placing 4th by .04 seconds.

NBC wants these interviewers to produce these reactions because they are slipping in ratings and the US hasn't put much Gold on the table. So they have to pump up the reaction for the lower medals so that people will tune in and watch the 16 hour tape delay.

Tears and Gold get ratings.

snoseek

The media is nothing more than a business setup to spoon feed mouth breathing Americans whatever nets the best ratings. I skipped the Olympics altogether, not for lack of interest, but for this fact. These people that work the front lines, I'm not sure how they do it.

snoseek

Oh, I just looked up at the morning news and noticed they're still going....Cool, I'm going skiing now

MadMadWorld

The media is nothing more than a business setup to spoon feed mouth breathing Americans whatever nets the best ratings. I skipped the Olympics altogether, not for lack of interest, but for this fact. These people that work the front lines, I'm not sure how they do it.

They are calling the USA vs. Russia game The Miracle On Ice Part II.....enough said.