• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will Sochi Olympics be a disaster?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Probably already been said, but the real disaster has been NBC. Jesum Crow. Now I know why folks hit the mute button. They were nitpicking everything at the opening, slamming countries in the parade ("yeah, they've never medaled before"), and saying dumb things ("they are marching in order according to the Cyrillic alphabet. Don't know what that is? Google it.") The Bode thing was just lame....really? Make the guy cry? How about the damn race?

steamboat1

It wasn't so much the badgering of Bodie that pissed me off although it was a bit over the top. What pissed me off is that after he broke down they kept the camera on him for a long period of time. I think not only once did he drop to one knee & held his hand over his face but twice. The whole time the camera kept focused on him & there was no commentary, just the camera focused on Bodie breaking down. I was yelling at my TV set saying take the damn camera off the poor guy.

Scruffy

NBC pays the IOC about a fifth of the costs to put on the Olympics. So they feel they need to get their money's worth. Tear jerking human interest stories and hijacking athletes for emotional responses about their performances is all part of the game. It's what connects viewers with otherwise obscure athletes and gives them name recognition. With this name recognition, they might just be able to make money to offset their huge costs for training - especially if they're not pros already raking in the dough. The athletes know it this, and they except it as part of the deal. Most couch potato viewers want to see this.

Why to you think ice skating and ice dancing get so much play. Those athletes tear up at the drop of a hat. And there's always some human interest back story about a single mother driving a little girl three hours a day to the nearest ice rink for 10 years or more.

If you want to see more hockey, get those bastards to cry for the camera.

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

That is a bunch of crap. That stuff does not need to be brought out. It a sporting event and that is it. Watch the sport and enjoy. It was painful to watch her pulling it out of him.[/QUOT

Puck it IS sport to you , you are emotionally invested in skiing BUT to most it is simply entertainment and that is what pays the freight in the end for the networks and their advertisers

Gilligan

Puck it IS sport to you , you are emotionally invested in skiing BUT to most it is simply entertainment and that is what pays the freight in the end for the networks and their advertisers

Considering the massive backlash to the Bode interview, I think this cost NBC a lot more freight than it paid for.

BenedictGomez

Why to you think ice skating and ice dancing get so much play. Those athletes tear up at the drop of a hat. And there's always some human interest back story about a single mother driving a little girl three hours a day to the nearest ice rink for 10 years or more.

Nope.

Figure skating and Ice dancing get the most coverage for the same reason gymnastics and swimming get the most summer coverage. Because they demo well with women. It's all about ratings.

NBC knows that men will watch competitive underwater tidly-winks if it's tied to the Olympics, but women will not. The previously reference sports all test well with women, so they get the airtime given only 50% of the available audience are men. 50% + 50% = 100%, and the coverage is based solely on ratings.

And those little human interest bio pieces you referenced? Yup, those are for the ladies attention too.

Scruffy

Nope.

Figure skating and Ice dancing get the most coverage for the same reason gymnastics and swimming get the most summer coverage. Because they demo well with women. It's all about ratings.

NBC knows that men will watch competitive underwater tidly-winks if it's tied to the Olympics, but women will not. The previously reference sports all test well with women, so they get the airtime given only 50% of the available audience are men. 50% + 50% = 100%, and the coverage is based solely on ratings.

And those little human interest bio pieces you referenced? Yup, those are for the ladies attention too.

I know, and you said as much a week ago, and I agree with you. What came first the chicken or the egg? Tears, drama, and human interest stories are rife in figure slating ( the costumes, music, dance reference, and pretty boys don't hurt either ). These things appeal to women, thus the ratings.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Today Olympian Diann Roffe urged people to read this article.
In the article, author Peters points out that NBC is desparate for a compelling story, as, for the most part, the US Team has had a lackluster performance. There have been very significant US results, but not compelling enough from an NBC perspective. I always rooted for Cooper, and still respect her. She's earning a pay check from her boss. Most of us do what the boss tells us to do.

"And, to me, it explains why NBC’s coverage of Miller was so wrongheaded and offensive. The network is incredibly well-positioned to explain to us why Miller is so great at what he does, and even how personal tragedy might inform his approach on the slopes. What NBC shouldn’t do is reduce him to a guy with a simplistic, maudlin backstory. You don’t need to exploit Bode Miller to show your audience that he’s a fascinating character. Just focus in on him as he races down the mountain, and tell us why he so often comes in first."

jack97

that's why i have tuned out. My only interest in men's hockey whether the US strategy of fielding a smaller team will pan out.

btw, I can't route for a team that has crosby and it pains me to see bergeron as his linemate.

ScottySkis

that's why i have tuned out. My only interest in men's hockey whether the US strategy of fielding a smaller team will pan out.

btw, I can't route for a team that has crosby and it pains me to see bergeron as his linemate.

+1 I no interest in watching NHL players playing each other like they do for US teams all winter. I think professionals players in Olympic is beyond stupid. This is supposed to bring in more viewers but most here seems to agree so why don't Olympics realize this.

crank

Today Olympian Diann Roffe urged people to read this article.
In the article, author Peters points out that NBC is desparate for a compelling story, as, for the most part, the US Team has had a lackluster performance. There have been very significant US results, but not compelling enough from an NBC perspective. I always rooted for Cooper, and still respect her. She's earning a pay check from her boss. Most of us do what the boss tells us to do.

"And, to me, it explains why NBC’s coverage of Miller was so wrongheaded and offensive. The network is incredibly well-positioned to explain to us why Miller is so great at what he does, and even how personal tragedy might inform his approach on the slopes. What NBC shouldn’t do is reduce him to a guy with a simplistic, maudlin backstory. You don’t need to exploit Bode Miller to show your audience that he’s a fascinating character. Just focus in on him as he races down the mountain, and tell us why he so often comes in first."

Good, well thought out piece. The NBC producers really did miss the boat on the Bode story but that could just be the skier in me talking.

MadMadWorld

I watched the Bode video again and f the camera man who knelt down to try and get a shot of Bode's. I didn't think I could hate NBC more than I already did but sometimes they surprise me

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
+1 I no interest in watching NHL players playing each other like they do for US teams all winter. I think professionals players in Olympic is beyond stupid. This is supposed to bring in more viewers but most here seems to agree so why don't Olympics realize this.

Have you actually watched one of these Olympic games. Sure they are all star rosters but they are actually trying (unlike a typical all star game), and playing Defense. Incredible hockey being played.