• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

X-Country ski suggestion?

adamh

So I'm thinking about making a trip tomorrow to the Conway, NH area to do some cross country skiing. I've never done it, but I'm a solid skier. My fiance is a complete beginner for skiing in general. Does anyone have suggestions on a good place for us to go? Also, any suggestions for lodging?

snowmonster

Never stayed anywhere near Conway except at the Joe Dodge Lodge. The breakfasts are "heroic." Great Glen is just up the road from there. And, of course, the cross-country trails at Jackson are pretty extensive.

AdironRider

A lesson for cross country? Its pretty self explanatory if you ask me.

Jackson would be your best bet for lodging and CC skiing terrain IMO. Do they groom the road from Bartlett to the Kanc? That could be a sweet CC jaunt.

BenedictGomez

A lesson for cross country? Its pretty self explanatory if you ask me.

Is it? I hope so. My gf (who grew up cross country skiing) has insisted that we go XC skiing one day next week in Lake Placid. I've never done it.

Given that I've converted her into a downhill skier, I cant very well say no! Meh, it might be fun I suppose, it will be pretty I imagine anyway.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
It's beneficial to take a lesson if you want to be efficient about XC as exercise. Knowing how to weight your body and use your poles effectively isn't intuitive, although some people pick it up right away. You will be able to get around, climb moderate hills, and snowplow through a mild descent but it won't feel like alpine gear at all. You will fall, multiple times most likely.

I'd recommend Jackson rather than Great Glen; their trail system is much more interesting and scenic. Both places have good rentals and lessons if you want. I wouldn't recommend Nanamokomuc for beginners - too much can go wrong on even light backcountry trails.

Scruffy

Is it? I hope so. My gf (who grew up cross country skiing) has insisted that we go XC skiing one day next week in Lake Placid. I've never done it.

Given that I've converted her into a downhill skier, I cant very well say no! Meh, it might be fun I suppose, it will be pretty I imagine anyway.

It's great fun Bene, and a real workout. Are you going to try Skate skiing or classic ?

kickstand

So I'm thinking about making a trip tomorrow to the Conway, NH area to do some cross country skiing. I've never done it, but I'm a solid skier. My fiance is a complete beginner for skiing in general. Does anyone have suggestions on a good place for us to go? Also, any suggestions for lodging?

Jackson XC, right in Jackson at the golf course
Great Glen, up at the base of the Mt Washington Auto Road
Bear Notch, in Bartlett over near the start of Bear Notch Road
Mt Washington Valley Ski Touring, at Ragged Mountain Equipment right on 16 in Intervale

Or, for free, you can use the trails at Believe In Books. It's the place where the Polar Express stops in the winter. The entrance is right across from Town Hall Road. My wife has gone snowshoeing in there. I wouldn't recommend this for a beginner.

Lodging, there are tons of motels, hotels and inns. Depends on what you are looking for.

Riverskier

Yes, it absolutely is. A proficient downhill skier can hop on cross country skis (skate or classic) and ski competently right away. Even someone who has never skied before could probably firgure it out pretty quick. If it is something you decide you really want to get into and do all the time, perhaps a lesson may be beneficial to perfect the technique, but that isn't even remotely necessary just to get out there and have fun.

BenedictGomez

My fiance is a complete beginner for skiing in general. Does anyone have suggestions.........?

Yeah, be nice to her the next day when her entire body is sore as hell and she's bitching about it! That's typically what a never-ever before skier experiences the next day, pain.

You will fall, multiple times most likely.
skeptical_cat.jpg

It's great fun Bene, and a real workout. Are you going to try Skate skiing or classic ?

The hell if I know.

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
I've never been there but I've heard people reference Bretton Woods as having a decent XC system. It is fun and I thought it was easier to get on XC skis without experience compared to downhill, especially if the trails are groomed. In deep backcountry snow it can be considerably more challenging on xc skis. Expect to sweat more than downhill and even though not too bad, expect to notice the free heel, especially on descents. A fall or two perhaps, but not too bad at slow speeds. Getting up can be harder as the free heel seems to make the skis go willy nilly on a fall compared to downhill. In fact, I'm leaving in a half hour to do some XC skiing on AMC trails outside of Greenville, Maine. Have fun.

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
One last bit of advice, even waxless skis will get snow sticking in above freezing temperatures depending on grooming. So if it is above freezing, which it sounds like it might be ask about wax if you go to a xc ski area or rent skies. Balling of snow will make your skis not glide at all and you will basically be walking with skis on your feet.