• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

You never know who you're being rude to...

dmc

afa jackrabbit starts from a light, it IS fun but only if you're in a car that can do it properly (i.e. has some balls). it's not too much fun in a $hitbox

I didn't used to do it with the Subaru... But now i got the VW with the turbo 4 cyl... Well... it's fun...
In fact - driving is way more fun now in the VW...

that being said - i dont do it all the time.. and set my cruise control to optimal mpg...

SkiDork

It turns out cruise control is actually bad for gas mileage. Especially when driving on a hilly highway. Oh well.

bvibert

Staff member
I didn't used to do it with the Subaru... But now i got the VW with the turbo 4 cyl... Well... it's fun...

that being said - i dont do it all the time.. and set my cruise control to optimal mpg...

Turbos can be fun, can't they? I still get a kick out of hearing mine spool up when I get on the gas. :)

dmc

Turbos can be fun, can't they? I still get a kick out of hearing mine spool up when I get on the gas. :)

yeah... this is my first turbo and first sun roof...

Enjoying both... :razz:

cbcbd

Man, I hate a$$hole drivers... really gets to me, but there is really nothing you can do unfortunately especially since he only honked and was an ass... its not like he was breaking the law or anything. It sucks, but you just gotta let karma take over... hopefully his family recognized that he/she was being an a$$ and won't follow suit.

Paul

Man, I hate a$$hole drivers... really gets to me, but you just gotta let karma take over... hopefully his family recognized that he/she was being an a$$ and won't follow suit.

earl_hickey.jpg

Yeah, I'm awful sorry about that. Its on my list....

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
While that may be my lawful right, in practice, I will have to live with and work and play with these people. No need for my kids to suffer. I'd much prefer to take the high road, let them see the folly of their ways, be commensurately embarrassed and change their ways (maybe!). It's not necessary to get in a huff over little things, life is too short.

I worked in an office once, a woman cutoff a fellow who worked at the same company (she didn't know him), met him in the elevator. He made a polite comment about the inappropriateness of her driving. She proceeded to tell him off. They got off the elevator on different floors. By 10AM she had been fired.

but in my situation i nearly hit kids walking home from school. the crossing guard saw the whole thing and made sure i did something about it. its fine if you want to kill yourself but to endanger little kids is unacceptable. the guy ended up trying to apologize to me and the judge but we both told him its about the kids not us.

ccskier

With gas what it is, there seems to be a new breed of idiot-driver evolving. A year ago I would have never thought twice about being passed by some hulking SUV going 70-80+ ! Now I ask myself what type of individual drives a gas-guzzling SUV 10-20+ mph over the speed limit? Personal choice yes, but do these people just not get it? Or because they can afford it, they can go through life oblivious. Just an observation.

Ok, I am one of those morons driving 10-20+ mph over the limit. To be honest with you, during skis season, the less time I spend in the car the better. The past few years we have driven my wifes big suv that with the box on top and my Friday night driving habits, it gets about 13-14 on the way up and 15-16 back. It it costs me an extra $20-40 then so be it. I would rather be sitting on the couch in vt w/ a beer watching tv than sitting in the car. I don't really go out at night time anymore during ski season, so the $50-100 I would spend can be spent on gas. Wasteful, useles, whatever as long as my family and I arrive safely (I try not to go over 80 or so to be safe and weathe permitting). We will drive my car more often, getting 30+ but kind of hard to do with dog, child and gear. I just have to learn to leave everything up there, but I kind of like having all of my gear on hand if a trip comes up.

mondeo

I'm at 10 over, 15 over in 55 zones in CT. And just because of the threat of speeding tickets, not for safety's sake or for efficiency.

The person going 20 over isn't as big an asshole driver as the one going the speed limit in the passing lane. Ok, he burns more gas. But maybe saves gas other ways that you aren't willing to, and actually uses less overall than you do.

Case in point: I know a hyperenvironmentalist at work. Everything green, minimalist, etc. He drives an old Civic, probably gets 35-40mpg. I drive a Subaru, get around 20mpg. But he lives 20 miles from work, while I live 10 miles away. Who's worse? At least I don't claim to be an environmentalist.

Trekchick

the big honking Cadillac truck behind us laid on his horn
There's a major flaw in your logic. An asshole is an asshole and not likely change their ways for whatever reason. It's simply not worth your energy nor time. Like you said, life is too short.

Oh Good Grief, help me I'm going to say something totally flamable!!!

The second you said Cadillac Truck, I thought Asshole. Greg said it best. He's not gonna get it, because he lives in a different world than you do. Those stop signs aren't there for him.
They are just suggestions to him, while they mean Stop to the rest of the world.

It was only a few days ago I had a chat with a friend about Cadillacs.
If you want a Cadillac, then get a Cadillac, if you want truck, get a truck. A Cadillac Truck is built for poseurs.

tjf67

With gas what it is, there seems to be a new breed of idiot-driver evolving. A year ago I would have never thought twice about being passed by some hulking SUV going 70-80+ ! Now I ask myself what type of individual drives a gas-guzzling SUV 10-20+ mph over the speed limit? Personal choice yes, but do these people just not get it? Or because they can afford it, they can go through life oblivious. Just an observation.

As an owner of a SUV that drives 75 in 65 I am thinking nothing of gas prices. I do wonder about people that have bunnies f'ng chickens as an avatar though.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
but in my situation i nearly hit kids walking home from school. the crossing guard saw the whole thing and made sure i did something about it. its fine if you want to kill yourself but to endanger little kids is unacceptable. the guy ended up trying to apologize to me and the judge but we both told him its about the kids not us.

That's the first I heard about your experience. Certainly your situation is entirely different and required a response. Thanks for clarifying.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

The second you said Cadillac Truck, I thought Asshole. Greg said it best. He's not gonna get it, because he lives in a different world than you do. Those stop signs aren't there for him.
They are just suggestions to him, while they mean Stop to the rest of the world.

If you want a Cadillac, then get a Cadillac, if you want truck, get a truck. A Cadillac Truck is built for poseurs.

The whole concept of Cadillac building a truck is illogical to me. These are diametrically opposite concepts. I never thought the words "Cadillac" and "truck" belonged in the same sentence, unless we were describing a Caddy being towed.

Cadillac is to truck as
clean is to dirty
"valet" is to "offroad"
black tie is to carhart
synthetic is to organic
Ritz is to Mcdonalds

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Ok, I am one of those morons driving 10-20+ mph over the limit. To be honest with you, during skis season, the less time I spend in the car the better. The past few years we have driven my wifes big suv that with the box on top and my Friday night driving habits, it gets about 13-14 on the way up and 15-16 back. It it costs me an extra $20-40 then so be it. I would rather be sitting on the couch in vt w/ a beer watching tv than sitting in the car. I don't really go out at night time anymore during ski season, so the $50-100 I would spend can be spent on gas. Wasteful, useles, whatever as long as my family and I arrive safely (I try not to go over 80 or so to be safe and weathe permitting). We will drive my car more often, getting 30+ but kind of hard to do with dog, child and gear. I just have to learn to leave everything up there, but I kind of like having all of my gear on hand if a trip comes up.

I won't cast stones at others who elect to drive big rigs, tractors, Kenworth SUV's or any vehicle they please. I will cast stones if they endanger, me, my family or other drivers who elect to driver more conservatively. I am sure you are an honorable and responsible driver who respects the right of others to drive at or near the speed limit without tailgating or cutting them off.

Beetlenut

As an owner of a SUV that drives 75 in 65 I am thinking nothing of gas prices. I do wonder about people that have bunnies f'ng chickens as an avatar though.

Why am I not surprised? The avatar is the only thing that got your attention, oblivious to the end!

The Escalades are sweet though..If my hip-hop career takes off..I'll be riding an Escalade on 24s with 8 TV sets..JEA!!!!

Geoff

Which VW do you have? I'm on my second GTI turbo. I sold my first one with 141,000 miles on it. I bought a leftover Fahrenheit GTI last October from the pool of 1200 VW brought into the country that rotted at the dealerships. With the $3K below invoice price, I decided I could live with an orange car. The freakin' speeding tickets from driving an orange car kinda suck, though. I should spray it with black primer so I stop getting pulled over.

VWatK.jpg