• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

You never know who you're being rude to...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
My 16YO is learning to drive. Today, first day for her at a new school, so she drove. Like an exemplary driver she is, she stopped at the intersection. As soon as she stopped the big honking Cadillac truck behind us laid on his horn. Guess he didn't like her stopping at the stop sign. After we entered the highway, he blew past us, sporting a school parking sticker, just like the one we have (with kids on board). Needless to say, he was gone when we arrived. One of these days, I'm sure we'll see him again and again. The school is small enough you get to know all the parents in your kids class. It will be an interesting day when we meet. I would expect him to suffer from amnesia. Maybe tomorrow?

while I'm a Mass driver, I was instructed and drove for many years in a planet unlike those which many esteemed drivers live in. What's the rush?

p.s., this isn't the first time....

vent over. back to your regularly scheduled program...

Greg

Staff member
It will be an interesting day when we meet. I would expect him to suffer from amnesia. Maybe tomorrow?

How so? Do you plan to confront him or something? I would let sleeping dogs lie. That might be a better lesson to teach your daughter.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
How so? Do you plan to confront him or something? I would let sleeping dogs lie. That might be a better lesson to teach your daughter.

Of course I don't plan to, nor did I suggest I would (text messaging fails again!) I've been around the block long enough to know that is not necessary.

It will be more interesting to see is reaction when he sees our car the next day.

Greg

Staff member
Sorry. I guess I misread your post.

SkiDork

What an idiot (the dude in the SUV). These days with gas prices and such, I find myself driving like a granny. Saves gas and all. And makes for a less stressful trip.

2knees

as homer simpson once said

gas, gas, brake. gas, gas, brake. punch, punch, punch. gas, gas, gas.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
My 16YO is learning to drive. Today, first day for her at a new school, so she drove. Like an exemplary driver she is, she stopped at the intersection. As soon as she stopped the big honking Cadillac truck behind us laid on his horn. Guess he didn't like her stopping at the stop sign. After we entered the highway, he blew past us, sporting a school parking sticker, just like the one we have (with kids on board). Needless to say, he was gone when we arrived. One of these days, I'm sure we'll see him again and again. The school is small enough you get to know all the parents in your kids class. It will be an interesting day when we meet. I would expect him to suffer from amnesia. Maybe tomorrow?

while I'm a Mass driver, I was instructed and drove for many years in a planet unlike those which many esteemed drivers live in. What's the rush?

p.s., this isn't the first time....

vent over. back to your regularly scheduled program...

all yo need to do is get the plate number and go down to the police station andfile a complaint. thecops will help you. it will force the person to come to court date and show your child how the legal process works. i have done this with people that have cut me off before when there where kids around and i thought it was unsafe.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
all yo need to do is get the plate number and go down to the police station andfile a complaint. thecops will help you. it will force the person to come to court date and show your child how the legal process works. i have done this with people that have cut me off before when there where kids around and i thought it was unsafe.

While that may be my lawful right, in practice, I will have to live with and work and play with these people. No need for my kids to suffer. I'd much prefer to take the high road, let them see the folly of their ways, be commensurately embarrassed and change their ways (maybe!). It's not necessary to get in a huff over little things, life is too short.

I worked in an office once, a woman cutoff a fellow who worked at the same company (she didn't know him), met him in the elevator. He made a polite comment about the inappropriateness of her driving. She proceeded to tell him off. They got off the elevator on different floors. By 10AM she had been fired.

Greg

Staff member
I'd much prefer to take the high road, let them see the folly of their ways, be commensurately embarrassed and change their ways (maybe!). It's not necessary to get in a huff over little things, life is too short.

There's a major flaw in your logic. An asshole is an asshole and not likely change their ways for whatever reason. It's simply not worth your energy nor time. Like you said, life is too short.

Beetlenut

What an idiot (the dude in the SUV). These days with gas prices and such, I find myself driving like a granny. Saves gas and all. And makes for a less stressful trip.

With gas what it is, there seems to be a new breed of idiot-driver evolving. A year ago I would have never thought twice about being passed by some hulking SUV going 70-80+ ! Now I ask myself what type of individual drives a gas-guzzling SUV 10-20+ mph over the speed limit? Personal choice yes, but do these people just not get it? Or because they can afford it, they can go through life oblivious. Just an observation.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
There's a major flaw in your logic. An asshole is an asshole and not likely change their ways for whatever reason. It's simply not worth your energy nor time. Like you said, life is too short.

Agreed, but I don't think we have a major difference.
Here's the problem I've seen. Parents that can't get along, and their kids are on the same team. Teams need parents to help. Parents come to games, go to lunch with kids, etc. Kids sense the tension and hold it inside.

I had a neighbor do the same thing when I first moved in. I never said a word to him, but he knew who I was for the next twelve years.....

Bad scene. If there are no jerks around, one will eventually show up.

SkiDork

With gas what it is, there seems to be a new breed of idiot-driver evolving. A year ago I would have never thought twice about being passed by some hulking SUV going 70-80+ ! Now I ask myself what type of individual drives a gas-guzzling SUV 10-20+ mph over the speed limit? Personal choice yes, but do these people just not get it? Or because they can afford it, they can go through life oblivious. Just an observation.

Well, to be honest, I'm not so much of a granny on the highway (at least on Friday and Sunday nights getting to and from Killington on the NYS Thruway and Northway). I'm pretty much doing somewhere between 75 and 77.

Prolly wasting a bit more gas than is necessary but I like saving the 20 or 30 minutes, seeing as how we get up there so late...

My granny driving habits are pretty much around town/local etc. And if I'm on the highway but not getting to and from skiing... Especially no jack rabbit starts.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Or because they can afford it,

you got it....

Interestingly, I know a fellow who can afford anything he wants. He bought a Prius only because he wanted to reduce the impact he was having on the environment. Noble gesture, but sadly there are 99 others in the same financial position who could give a bleep about their impact.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Well, to be honest, I'm not so much of a granny on the highway (at least on Friday and Sunday nights getting to and from Killington on the NYS Thruway and Northway). I'm pretty much doing somewhere between 75 and 77.

Prolly wasting a bit more gas than is necessary but I like saving the 20 or 30 minutes, seeing as how we get up there so late...

My granny driving habits are pretty much around town/local etc. And if I'm on the highway but not getting to and from skiing... Especially no jack rabbit starts.

I do not understand why people feel the need to a) launch out from the light at g-2 forces and b) continually jocky to be at the head of the line on the highway. They're just gonna waste the 45 seconds saved when they get to their destination anyways....

Beetlenut

Probably the best side effect of these high gas prices is that it has finally caused me to slow down everywhere I drive. This not only saves me gas, but cuts back on speeding tickets and insurance adjustments from said tickets! Less stress too!

Ah serenity now!

bvibert

Staff member
Probably the best side effect of these high gas prices is that it has finally caused me to slow down everywhere I drive. This not only saves me gas, but cuts back on speeding tickets and insurance adjustments from said tickets! Less stress too!

Ah serenity now!

I agree with that too. I've been gradually trying to slow down in general over the last several years, but the gas prices have really helped in slowing me down even more (sometimes). I can get an extra 100+ miles to a tank of gas just by driving more conservatively.

SkiDork

afa jackrabbit starts from a light, it IS fun but only if you're in a car that can do it properly (i.e. has some balls). it's not too much fun in a $hitbox

Greg

Staff member

Ah serenity now!

Along with less demand which can only help prices.