• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your significant other...

KustyTheKlown

the last long term girlfriend was pretty annoyed about it all the time, and would join me about half the time. that started as "if you cant beat em, join em" but she came to really enjoy it independently of me. what really annoyed me about her was that she insisted that MY BIRTHDAY was to be dedicated couples time, and she refused to go with me to ski. she insisted that MY BIRTHDAY be some fancy dinner in NYC that I never was interested in. coincidentally, my 33rd birthday is tomorrow.

the prior short term girlfriend was a spring/summer relationship, but I made it very clear that if we continued and got serious that I'd be absentee during the winter. I ended up cutting off that relationship for reasons that had nothing to do with skiing.

current girlfriend of about 7 months surfs with almost the same intensity that I ski (prior to her hip injury and surgery). she isn't super advanced because she only took it up about 5 years ago, but she dove in head first. she goes to Montauk or rockaway every weekend in surf season, and gets on a plane to Hawaii or the Philippines at least once a year. so in that sense, she just "gets it" and understands. she also is pretty much obsessed with me and is happy to let me do whatever makes me happy. she also likes to come along just to hang out. she doesn't mind sitting in the lodge with a book and a beer. next year she will take snowboard lessons. she's gung ho, all that is holding her back is her hip. she was looking into summer programs in Oregon for true beginners, thinking she could become an intermediate with one week of intensive lessons and on snow time. I appreciate her effort a lot.

machski

My wife and I were high school sweethearts but I was the skier and she was a non-skier. She wanted to try and learn, took her twice early on and while she did great by the end of the day, these were ones and dones. She wound up going to Lyndon State eventually which gave me hope (as I figured many of her friends would ski). Worked just the way I planned it (oh, and my visiting and taking off at 630am to go to Jay helped that too. Used to joke that she was #1 in my life but became #2 during ski season). Now she is a solid skier, not super daring, but can handle herself on most terrain. She will even venture into some on map woods with me too. She'll never be in the couloirs and crazy steeps with me, but that's ok. We try to find places that allow us to ski the runs we want but off the same lifts. Squaw comes to mind as an area that works great for that out west.

kingslug

Anyone who would say theres more to life than skiing..would see me walking...far and fast..
I started going to my clubs happy hours after going on a trip..standing at the bar..like a slug..all these woman would come up and talk to me..cause i was new. They would ask ..so what do like to ski..where..that sort of thing. Ide show them my pic of dropping into main chute at snowbird..that weeded out most. My wife was persistant..didnt faze her..until one day she saw it for real from the chair at Alta after we where married...are..you..fucking..crazy???
Well......i did warn you...
She doesnt take the same routes i take but we meet at the chair and sometimes i drag her to some sporty stuff.
I

tumbler

Wife loves to ski as much as I do and is always wanting to get better. She will ski pretty much anything (within reason- me too for that matter) that I do. Ski lots of woods and bumps ~17-20 runs a day. We ski together almost always and she will jet up north with kids in anticipation of a school snow day. Kids also love skiing so they normally have a few more days than me- stupid work. I got 45 this year, they were just under 50. We ski to apres and Saturdays are pretty much date day all day and hanging with friends. Kids know how to hang or go to friends house or home. They dig the lifestyle as much as we do. We can't wait to move back up there full time when last one goes to college, we met up there. I consider myself lucky.

Scruffy

I'd love to know how you find non-skier women that are ok with that...I mentioned simply that I ski quite a bit in the winter to one woman I had just met recently and her response was something along the lines of "how's that working out for you? Maybe that's why you're single. You need to realize there's more than skiing in life." That was as far as that went...was a bit floored by that response when this was someone that I had only just met that realistically knew almost nothing about me.

You dodged a bullet, be happy. Women need to realize there's more to life than just sitting home watching Netflex together :-D

spk27alumni

It has been said that the ONLY reason my Wife married me, in the first place, was for the Lifetime Passes I earned working on Ski Patrol. And, for decades, she did not hold me back from skiing with the gang...even way late into the Spring. However, my knees have worn down to the bone, and the two bulging discs in my lower back prevent me from enjoying the bumps anymore. As a result, we are now enjoying the groomed slopes together, and skiing as a couple more than we ever did in the last 30 years.
I guess it could be said that her patience paid off. But on the other hand, sometimes I start blabbing about the stuff discussed on this, and other forums. That's when spending more time on the slopes, with ME, might be considered a punishment!

cdskier

Anyone who would say theres more to life than skiing..would see me walking...far and fast..

Yea...exactly. Someone that doesn't ski is one thing, but someone that immediately wants me to change one of my biggest passions is a complete non-starter.

I mean, there is more to life than skiing, but that's what May/June-October are for.

MommaBear

Ski lots of woods and bumps ..... she will jet up north with kids in anticipation of a school snow day.

Sounds like me! (but I wouldn't be able to keep up with 17-20 runs!) Nice to know there are others out there (mothers at home think I'm nuts to head north when snow is coming, playing the odds school will be cancelled. And if it isn't, my kid is "sick" for the day)

Funny, I learned to ski living in Maine in an afternoon elementary school program and only went once or twice a year after that until I met my husband in my early 20's. He was the die hard and if I wanted to spend time with him, skiing it was. 30 years and 3 kids later, I'm the one dragging him out.

And I laugh at the timing of your question - just last night I was reading to him stuff from this board. He wasn't in to it. He appreciates all the info I glean from here, but has no desire to be a part of it.

Jcb890

I got back into snowboarding when my wife and I were first dating. She tried skiing so we could do it together, but hated it. The next season she tried snowboarding and has been very into it. Not like myself or any of you guys on this site, but she's into it. She's getting better as well, can't do all the things I do and won't push herself like I will, but she can make it down black diamonds if she wants and do easier tree runs.

It is great for our relationship though. We travel, spend time with each other, enjoy our time together, etc.

tumbler

Sounds like me! (but I wouldn't be able to keep up with 17-20 runs!) Nice to know there are others out there (mothers at home think I'm nuts to head north when snow is coming, playing the odds school will be cancelled. And if it isn't, my kid is "sick" for the day).

Exactly! To be fair not all of the runs are bumps and trees, we need to throw some groomers in also. We start as soon as the lift opens and by 11 we have normally around 12 runs in. In for lunch at 11 and some afternoon lubrication and back out when the masses come in for lunch. Apres starts around 3ish. I miss it already.

JimG.

Staff member
I'd love to know how you find non-skier women that are ok with that...I mentioned simply that I ski quite a bit in the winter to one woman I had just met recently and her response was something along the lines of "how's that working out for you? Maybe that's why you're single. You need to realize there's more than skiing in life." That was as far as that went...was a bit floored by that response when this was someone that I had only just met that realistically knew almost nothing about me.

Being a skier makes it easy to rule out potential mates in just this way. No way I would live with that attitude in my house!

My wife is Jamaican. Claudia never skied before she met me. She gave it a shot, especially when our boys were young, but it's not her thing. That's all good to me. And it's all good for her that I occasionally disappear for a few days when the snow is good. I try to be reasonable and I make sure I'm home to clean up when we get slammed with snow here.

Married 25 years in October.

mbedle

Significant other lets me disappear for 5 weeks every winter to ski in Vermont. The thought of playing outside in the snow makes them hibernate during the winter. Most of our vacation time is separate except for an occasional trip out to the cape.

kingslug

Significant other doesnt listen when i say we need to decide about this weekend..now..hotels at k are booking up fast..The Grand where everyone we know are staying..is booked...sometimes i know a thing or 2...

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

Being a skier makes it easy to rule out potential mates in just this way. No way I would live with that attitude in my house!

My wife is Jamaican. Claudia never skied before she met me. She gave it a shot, especially when our boys were young, but it's not her thing. That's all good to me. And it's all good for her that I occasionally disappear for a few days when the snow is good. I try to be reasonable and I make sure I'm home to clean up when we get slammed with snow here.

Married 25 years in October.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume your wife is black? my ex is black, and she really prided herself on being "the best black female skier in NYC", which may have been true. very little competition.

JimG.

Staff member
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume your wife is black? my ex is black, and she really prided herself on being "the best black female skier in NYC", which may have been true. very little competition.

Yes sir. Like most Jamaicans she is very mixed between African, Eastern Indian, Chinese, and German ancestry. I'm a mutt too without the African influence, more Austrian, Swiss, and eastern European.

Unlike your ex my wife is not at all competitive and although she loves the mountains and loves to come on trips to do the spa/shopping thing she does not love being out in the elements during winter.

JimG.

Staff member
Significant other doesnt lusten when i say we need to decide about tyhis weekend..now..hotels at k are booking up fast..The Grand where everyone we know are staying..is booked...sometimes i know a thing or 2...

BMMC weekend. Good luck!

benski

there are very few women (at least in my NYC dating pool) who could hack it with what and how I am trying to ski. if I lived in Denver or something, no problem.
Seams true in Binghamton University, I have met 3 big skiers, One does not want to hang out with me, probably becouse when we met she hit her head the second run and I did not notice till I was out of sight. Same with mountain biking, I have to bike with townies at a bike shop if I want company. I knew one guy who mountain biked up there, but he graduated and moved to Winter park. I have a girl who wanted to learn, but I don't think she is thinking straight, since she never seams to be.

deadheadskier

Staff member
For the men or women for that matter who find it imperative that their S/O be a serious skier, I highly recommend the ski clubs of the Mount Washington Valley. This goes for most any age group as well. There's probably a dozen party oriented clubs with all age groups. Weekends are full of parties at the clubs, often multiple parties with a drunk bus taking you club to club. DJs and bands brought up from the city. Lots of young professionals from metro Boston who spend their weekends in the Valley skiing and socializing. Very unique to the valley. I'm not aware of something similar in VT. I suppose Killington ski houses, but that's not as organized. Cheap lodging for the year. Like $500 total plus a couple of work weekends in the off season gets you a key and bed at your club. Yeggous could tell you more about it. Had I known about it when I was younger and single I would have been all over it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app