• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boots packing out?

Breakout12

So, I only have about 20 days on my boots, but I wonder if they are already packing out. It seems that my heels have a little more lateral play than I remember. They used to be quite snug. I already have a foot bed.

I’m not going to get new liners, so is there anything else that can be done to snug them up? Any kind of additional padding that might act like a shim, maybe? It’s not so bad that it’s an issue, but it’s got me thinking.

Thanks

SkiFanE

Wow, that's early. I got 5 years/250+ days on my last boots - def packed out towards end, but took a few years. I suspect you bought them too big. Must be pretty snug in the beginning. May also be the quality of the boot - this cheaper intermediate boots are probably built more for comfort than performance.

Edd

If you bought them at a half decent store (not online) they'll help you address the issue. Adjustments can be made. If you're determined to keep the boots, I wouldn't rule out a new liner, unless it's strictly a $ issue.

BenedictGomez

At only 20 days, I think the issue likely isn't that they're "packing out", I think it means you bought boots that are too big, which is probably the #1 most common ski boot problem.

Glenn

Some of the best money we put into skiing was going to a bootfitter. It made a world of difference.

goldsbar

Not unusual and it doesn't mean your boots are too big - especially since your description is about a "little" more play. I noticed this after less than 10 days and I assure you my boots aren't too big (actually, the local rental place gave my normal size 11 y/o boots with almost the same length as mine - I can plug into his 130cm skis!). Not all liners are created equal and many pack out fast - beginner, intermediate, expert or however you want to classify your boot.

Easy "solution" is to tighten your buckles more. Real solution is third party liners. Intuition makes the stock liners for some boots, which I suspect are the ones users are reporting with no pack out issues.

dlague

So, I only have about 20 days on my boots, but I wonder if they are already packing out. It seems that my heels have a little more lateral play than I remember. They used to be quite snug. I already have a foot bed.

I’m not going to get new liners, so is there anything else that can be done to snug them up? Any kind of additional padding that might act like a shim, maybe? It’s not so bad that it’s an issue, but it’s got me thinking.

Thanks

Have you buckled them a little tighter? I can see after 20 times where there might be some loosening if buckled using the same setting - should not be a lot. If this is happening and you need to go tighter each time then it seems as though it is packing out quickly.

skinavy

I got new boots & liners in early Jan, and after 10ish days they were definitely roomier in the toebox and heel.
Buckle buckle buckle- use the full range of play, on whichever part of the boot its needed. And don't forget most buckles can turn to get even a little tighter.
It's natural to have to ratchet down more tightly over time- and kind of a lot at first. Like many materials they will compress a lot at first, then more gradually. I started on the outermost ratchet, and have since brought them in to the next-to-tightest in 10 days, should be pretty stable now.

Having said that, if you have already tightened down, then you can try some temporary shims to help fill some volume and see what works best- so you don't have to go back/forth to your fitter. I take trail maps and duct tape them under my footbed, adjusting thickness and position to see what feels better, then go to my fitter and have him replicate it more permanently when I get around to it. He laughs when he takes off the maps- can tell exactly where I've been, and about how long ago. But he can use them as a template to get the right thickness and placement.