• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bumps on a board

MarkC

I know a lot of snowboarders out there despise bumps and will go around them at all costs. I happen to enjoy bumping on a snowboard, however I don’t see many other snowboarders try and tackle moguls. Anybody else out there like to charge a bump line?

knuckledragger

With the right board they are good. I like some thing with some flex. t6 or custom. I have a republic that sucks in the bumps and only go in open woods with it otherwise this is a trail board.

knuckledragger

A great trail to learn bumps on a board is Middle Earth at Sugarbush esspecialy on a powder day. Or any trail on a 60 degree day very forgiving.

I, unfortunately, see too many incompetent snowboarders in bumps way over their heads. I have absolutely nothing against a proficient boarder in a bump field, assuming he makes quick turns and doesn't either push the bumps right off the hill or carve so hard/deep the troughs fill in, and bumps become awful. However, I see a lot of very beginner snowboarders dipping into bump fields on double diamond trails and upper level single diamonds, and it's very upsetting to someone who wants to zipperline on a pair of skis, but can't because he can't find a decent line.

That said, bad snowboarders are by no means solely responsible for cutting up and plowing over bump fields. I've seen more than enough bad skiers do it too. And don't even get me started on skiers who make super g or gs or any kind of carved turns in the bumps (no offense to anyone, but really!!!)!

Of course, if I had it my way, you'd have to pass an exam to even be allowed on certain bump trails (skis or boards), thereby guaranteeing good lines :lol:

MadPadraic

It used to be that I considered them part of life, but had no problem knocking a few over when they formed on major highways, but tried to avoid and respect them on trails that were loved by the local bump skiers. This season I've actively pushed myself on bumped up runs. Its sort of opened up a new world for me.

Last week at Cannon I had a telemarker I looked good in the moguls. What an ego boost.

KevinF

And don't even get me started on skiers who make super g or gs or any kind of carved turns in the bumps (no offense to anyone, but really!!!)!

I'm in full agreement that way too many people in bump runs have no idea what they're doing and that they mess up the bumps in a huge way as a result. But what's wrong with people making a good GS-sized turn in bumps? Anybody capable of making a big high-speed turn in bumps knows exactly what they're doing.

cbcbd

Saw this < 10 year old RIPPIN the bumps on K-27 at Hunter yesterday - the kid was amazing.

Grassi21

Saw this < 10 year old RIPPIN the bumps on K-27 at Hunter yesterday - the kid was amazing.

Nice man. So you did hit Hunter after all. Must have been nice to be reunited with your planks.

jack97

I'm in full agreement that way too many people in bump runs have no idea what they're doing and that they mess up the bumps in a huge way as a result. But what's wrong with people making a good GS-sized turn in bumps? Anybody capable of making a big high-speed turn in bumps knows exactly what they're doing.

Depends on the bumps; what state they are in. if they are just forming; carving them ruins the zipper line. I get dyslexic sometimes trying to choose the best line to maintain the zipper, hesitate and eat snow…..sucks when that happens.

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
I'm a snowboarder and love the bumps (hard to figure out with my screen name :lol:). A true boarder will know that when they can master the bumps they can handle tight trees in the glades... :grin:

Similar to a skier though I love powder bumps.... :-D

:beer:

Couldn't have said it better. My buds think I'm nuts to hit the local bumps. Then they come to vistit at Jay and, don't have any fun because the groomers are often a bit windblown & firm.

knuckledragger

Board size for bumps 159 -162 for my height size and ability
How does an incompitant boarder screw up your snow mounds any worse than the thousands of incompetant skiers I have wittness snowplowing directly down them? If you do not like what we do to yor bumps you can always go to MRG. Last time I checked the trails were there for all and the only way to learn is to get out there and fail Also the bumps are great practice for the woods which aif I did not have young-uns that is where I would be.

JimG.

Staff member
How does an incompitant boarder screw up your snow mounds any worse than the thousands of incompetant skiers I have wittness snowplowing directly down them?

This skier would like to know too.

I don't see too many boarders in the bumps to begin with, and the ones I do see do no more damage than the many skiers who try their luck.

I'm starting to see more and more of this "don't mess with my snow" attitude amongst skiers and boarders recently. Here's a news flash for those folks...it isn't YOUR snow, it's for all sliders. I'm growing impatient with those who say certain types should stay off bumps and certain turns are no good for powder and all that other crap. Snow is snow and it's there to be skied...first come, first served.

It's all going to melt anyway.

Sorry about the hijack.

jack97

Last time I checked the trails were there for all and the only way to learn is to get out there and fail Also the bumps are great practice for the woods which aif I did not have young-uns that is where I would be.

Not sure, who you are directing the remarks to but I will bite.

I’m all for everyone learning on the trails, thats how we all learn. However, I can see how one can get ticked off when bumps don’t form well due bad riders or skiers. That’s why I seek out seeded bumps with different pitches, they take a lot of abuse before they deform. Having said this, I have seen the mountain’s freestyle team rut a zipperline so deep, so tight and almost straight that only team members can make the line.

The way I look at it is, I take ownership of my dyslexic problem when I can’t make out a good line to take, just another thing to overcome.

knuckledragger's comments were probably directed toward me. But if he would please take a second to reread my post, I actually said that incompetent skiers are just as bad.

I really have no problem with allowing everyone on the mountain. I do have a problem with bad skiers and riders going in WAY over their heads. Yes... the only way to get better is to challenge yourself. But that should be a somewhat gradual process (start on a blue run with bumps, move to a low pitch black, then steep black, then double black). I don't think it's appropriate for third or fourth day (for example) skiers/riders or skiers/riders with no bump technique on a double diamond or upper level single diamond bump run. If you want to learn bumps, start on something easier. Don't head straight for Paradise at MRG, or Exterminator or Hammerhead at the Bush, for example.

I agree with jack97's opinion of poorly formed bumps. However, I'm not a huge fan of seeded bumps either, because there's not much challenge in it. I like a good line, but it's got to be more interesting than a seeded line.

I guess I'm pretty tough to please :wink:

And please, don't think I'm saying that riders shouldn't be in the bumps. If I felt that way, I'd be an MRG shareholder and avoid riders all together. But that's not the case. I think that everyone, assuming he has the ability (or close to it) to handle the terrain he's on, is entitled to ski/ride wherever he wants to.

Last edited:

MadPadraic

knuckledragger's comments were probably directed toward me. But if he would please take a second to reread my post, I actually said that incompetent skiers are just as bad.

I really have no problem with allowing everyone on the mountain. I do have a problem with bad skiers and riders going in WAY over their heads. Yes... the only way to get better is to challenge yourself. But that should be a somewhat gradual process (start on a blue run with bumps, move to a low pitch black, then steep black, then double black). I don't think it's appropriate for third or fourth day (for example) skiers/riders or skiers/riders with no bump technique on a double diamond or upper level single diamond bump run.

Didn't Stratton try something like this with their parks? I.e. the beginner parks were open to everyone, but you had to prove your worth to be admitted to the upper level ones?