• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock 2011 Master Plan

Bostonian

So coming into work this morning, I saw the folks from Gunstock set up shop in my building. Ended up talking with the Director of Ski Operations (I think that was his name), who was really cool. I peppered him with a few questions, complemented him on the quality of snow at Gunstock they had even with the less than stellar conditions. Anyway, he told me that on the Gunstock webpage is their master plan, and some interesting things to glean from it.

1. New Trails! Based on the document and looking over the maps included, there appear to be 4 new trails possibly in the works. One on Pistol, one between recoil and hotshot, one between middle trigger and tiger, and the recutting (sort of) of middle Ramrod (down to where hot shot spills out under the summit quad).

2. Widening of the trails - So just like many other ski areas, Gunstock has plans to widen trails. Specifically, Sidearm, Derringer and Hotshot. Now while I can understand the first two which carries beginner skiers, to widen Hotshot, would take away from the uniqueness and "New Englandiness" of the trail. By making it wide open, it turns it into just another run of the mill diamond, rather that retaining its character.

3. New Lifts! So there is a plan to replace the Tiger Triple. Something I would greatly welcome.

4. Mountain Coaster. Not really interested...

5. Potential expansion to Alpine Ridge and the other side of Piston... All preliminary in nature.

So there you have it, I am not sure if this was brought up before, but some exciting stuff to say the least. I just hope they keep hotshot the way it is, especially on a nice pow day it is one of my favorites!

To check out their plan go to http://www.gunstock.com/about_us/policies_plans/

drjeff

I think that the mountain coaster is quite a significant thing in the big picture for Gunstock. Not so much from a winter attraction perspective, but from a SUMMER attraction perspective. Building on what Gunstock has already done for non snow attraction and the simple fact that Lake Winnipesaukee attracts far more people to it in the summer than in the winter, and also given that the status of waterslides in the lakes region is seemingly alwys in flux with the "will the Weir's Beach waterslides open this summer or won't they?" question in play most years, this would easily help Gunstock attract non snow customers to them almost atleast from say Memorial Day all the way through leaf season.

hammer

Shame to widen Hotshot but it may be needed so that they can make snow on it...

I also like the plans to improve the campground. Went there in September 2010 and found it to be one of the nicer campgrounds in the area.

HD333

Where are they? In town somewhere?
I hope they do not widen Hot Shot, that would be a shame, where do I sign the petition not to widen Hot Shot? Wouldn't a trail between Hot Shot and Recoil take the Upper Recoil Glades and possibly the lower ones out of play? When there is snow those glades are great. Like Bostonian said Hot Shot on a POW day is my favorite trail on the Mountain.
I think a Mt Coaster will do good at Gunstock, they really are becoming a 4 season spot with the camping and the ziplines. I would think they will attract a good amount of tourists if they advertise, although once you are waterfront it is REAL hard to motivate and go anywhere else.
I agree that they have done a great job with the conditions this season. They really need/deserve a dump or 3.

Last edited:

bobbutts

FG quad on tiger (who cares), widen hot shot (no!)
more junk for tourists and non-skiers (meh)

thumbs down on this master plan

AdironRider

Quad on Tiger is a pretty big deal, especially for night skiing if I remember correctly.

Mountain Coaster would be a huge draw in the summer. Thats certainly a big deal. Alton Bay is what, 10 minutes down the road?

CTNoob

I thought I read about a slopeside hotel on a new trail system off the backside of Pistol. That would be a game-changer.

Mountain coaster is a cool idea and will do well with the zipline/summer stuff as others have already stated. With Surfcoaster long gone, they could think even about a waterpark as well.

I am a big Gunstock fan so I hope they do well.

drjeff

Quad on Tiger is a pretty big deal, especially for night skiing if I remember correctly.

Mountain Coaster would be a huge draw in the summer. Thats certainly a big deal. Alton Bay is what, 10 minutes down the road?

Basically the entire Alton bay to Weirs Beach shoreline isn't much more than 20 minutes away from Gunstock, and even on up to Wolfeboro (where my grandparents have lived for the past 40 years) and over towards Meredith/Center Harbor is within about 30 minutes. So with the exception of the NE corner of Winnipesaukee up around Moultonboro, the majority of the summer crowds are withn about 30 minutes of Gunstock.

bobbutts

Why is the quad a big deal?
more capacity, same ride time = shorter line/more crowded trails
Tiger has been short line or ski on when I've been there nights so the extra seat wouldn't have done anything at all

AdironRider

Marketing buddy. Does anywhere really need a six pack either?

Its all about perception. Riding a decades old fg triple is a bit different for a sometimes skier than a brand new fg quad that isnt dumping grease all over your jacket and a family of four, can you know, enjoy their time together more. Gunstock doesnt have to many singles line aggro types charging if you catch my drift.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hot Shot - snowmaking? sure. widening? hell no

Trail between Hot Shot and Recoil? ONLY if the glades are left alone. I say this recognizing it is unlikely they will be skiable this season.

Ramrod - would be great to have snowmaking and continue it down the fall line. The later part will be pretty expensive. That ridge is loaded with boulders, but it's a nice fall line and would mimic lower Trigger. Overall it would be great to offer a 5th cruising option with snowmaking off the summit.

Tiger Triple? The lift is fine how it is and services the best terrain on the mountain IMO. If they were to replace it, it would be nice to realign it and lower the base of it so that it's within walking distance of the lodge. That would increase crowding at the lift, but it might decrease crowding on the Panorama Quad as well.

Trail between Tiger Steeps and Trigger? HELL YES. I look at that pitch every time I ski Gunstock and think "Signature Bump run". Best pitch on the mountain for a bump run. It's only a few hundred vert, but that's really all you need. It gets great sunlight, so the bumps would soften well. Cut that sucker, line it with fan guns and seed it up. Call it Gun Barrel. :daffy:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I think that the mountain coaster is quite a significant thing in the big picture for Gunstock. Not so much from a winter attraction perspective, but from a SUMMER attraction perspective. Building on what Gunstock has already done for non snow attraction and the simple fact that Lake Winnipesaukee attracts far more people to it in the summer than in the winter, and also given that the status of waterslides in the lakes region is seemingly alwys in flux with the "will the Weir's Beach waterslides open this summer or won't they?" question in play most years, this would easily help Gunstock attract non snow customers to them almost atleast from say Memorial Day all the way through leaf season.
On the flip side... Mt Rowe aka Alpine Ridge just up the ridge line from Gunstock used to have an alpine slide and water park. Closed. Surf Coaster within walking distance of Weirs? Closed. The area can only have so many attractions before reaching critical mass. A mountain coaster might work at Gunstock but only because it already has so many other summer things going on including the campground (i.e. captive audience). But you can't just build an attraction near Weirs and have it be successful by association.

Morwax

On the flip side... Mt Rowe aka Alpine Ridge just up the ridge line from Gunstock used to have an alpine slide and water park. Closed. Surf Coaster within walking distance of Weirs? Closed. The area can only have so many attractions before reaching critical mass. A mountain coaster might work at Gunstock but only because it already has so many other summer things going on including the campground (i.e. captive audience). But you can't just build an attraction near Weirs and have it be successful by association.
Ahh yes the old Alpine Ridge.. was last owned by Attitash. Id heard they closed the water park and alpine slide as they couldnt make enough to cover expenses. It would seem an obvious expansion for Gunstock and there is some fun terrain up there. Unfortunately ziplines are the flavor of the month and the one at Gunstock cost 2 million and went over budget. Again skiing takes a back seat to fun park attractions.

Morwax

I dont see the actual file anymore. SE Group has some info and a slide show. Same old theory "If we build it they will come" stuff. What they dont seem to understand is that there is no Vibe.. everything is spread out all over the base area. There is a huge freshwater lake 5 minutes away as well as water parks and tree top courses. The mountain will always have a limited winter audience do to limited (somewhat boring) terrain. And a limited summer audience because of current nearby attractions. Just adding the word "Resort" to the name will not make it one.
IMHO if the vibe was better we would go there more often and stay longer.
The small lodge near the lifts could be expanded with a deck area that serves alchohol and have some live local music on a regular basis etc..
Why build a hotel no one is going to stay at?
Time for some fresh ideas Gunstock!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Pretty soon I will start setting up the challenge again for 2012. Probably start in mid July or so fielding questions.