• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for ski advice

hammer

I've been starting to look at end-of-season sales and there are a few good deals out there, so I think I'm going to get another pair that will help this "temporarily-terminal intermediate" in getting to the next level in my skiing.

My thinking is that I'd want to get an "advanced" all-mountain ski...something that can handle the variable conditions that we can get around here in NE but also has good enough edge hold to cruise down groomed hardpack. Some of the skis that may be contenders include Elan Magfire 10/12, Dynastar Legend 8000, Head Xenon 9.0...I'm sure that there are others.

Also, I tried out a NASTAR course this past weekend...think I have a new addiction :). Would an all-mountain ski be OK for recreational racing or should I really get a pair of cheap-a$$ race skis for that purpose?

I may have the opportunity to demo some skis but I'm not sure I'll be able to demo exactly what I'm looking for...any input would be appreciated.

Rushski

Deals are really starting to kick in. In my area they have one shop doing 50% storewide and another doing 2-for-1.

Seems all mountain skis are starting to be pushed in wider waist widths. The few you mentioned are good bets and also look into the Fischer line if your local shop carries them.

As for Nastar, if that is where your racing ends, you don't really need a race ski, IMO. If you plan on going further to club or corporate racing leagues you would be better served by a race ski.

Sure you'll get plenty of sound wisdom from others on the boards.

drjeff

For the "terminal intermediate rut" nowadays, you should be looking for something with a minimum of a 120mm tip, and a 90mm waist. Look also for a softer flexing tip as that will help the ski tip "bite" the snow and let the radius of the ski take over and help with the transition from skidded turns to carved turns.

Plus the extra width of the ski will help ALOT in the softer condtions (powder/spring snow) that tend to give the intermediate skier trouble.

wa-loaf

Also, I tried out a NASTAR course this past weekend...think I have a new addiction :). Would an all-mountain ski be OK for recreational racing or should I really get a pair of cheap-a$$ race skis for that purpose?

Don't need a race ski, but a front side ski with a narrower waist would be good. Something in the 70mm or less range.

deadheadskier

Staff member
For the "terminal intermediate rut" nowadays, you should be looking for something with a minimum of a 120mm tip, and a 90mm waist.

I'm curious why you suggest this?

I ski a B2, so 116mm tip and 78mm waist. Just wondering why a beefier ski would better contribute to improved skiing for an intermediate.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I also ski a B2 and find it to be an excellent all-mountain ski. They work great here in the northeast, as well as in Utah (and I saw tons of them all over Snowbird).
Much depends on the ride you prefer ... do you want something smooth and mellow but a little out of touch with the snow? Rossi Bandit B2 is like that. Want something that feels every little bump but turns on a dime? I've heard many a recommendation for the Volkl AC-30.

RISkier

I think you're in the ball park. I might add the Nordica Nitrous, or the 84mm waisted version. I've been on the Nitrous and really like it as an all arounder. The Nordicas with titanium tend to be pretty stiff. The Nitrous is 78mm waist and doesn't have metal, I think there's an 84mm waisted ski without metal as well. Don't know anything about the Xenon 9.0 but I was very interested in the i.m.78 -- never had a chance to test drive it, however.

SKIQUATTRO

for 90% of the time on the East Coast as 78 under foot is perfect, great on hardpack/ice and will provide enough float in 6" of powder (this is my everday ski)

I have the Sugar Daddy (99) for the dumps and really soft spring days....but if you are looking for 1 ski to do it all, I'd stay under 80

57stevey

I think you're in the ball park. I might add the Nordica Nitrous, or the 84mm waisted version. I've been on the Nitrous and really like it as an all arounder. The Nordicas with titanium tend to be pretty stiff. The Nitrous is 78mm waist and doesn't have metal, I think there's an 84mm waisted ski without metal as well. Don't know anything about the Xenon 9.0 but I was very interested in the i.m.78 -- never had a chance to test drive it, however.

I'd take a good look at that Nitrous... I'm skiing the '05 SUV12 (115/70/99 - no metal) and it's handled any frontside condition (and the occasional foray into easy trees/bumps) with flying colors. Super high quality. I would buy Nordica again in a heartbeat.

drjeff

I'm curious why you suggest this?

I ski a B2, so 116mm tip and 78mm waist. Just wondering why a beefier ski would better contribute to improved skiing for an intermediate.

The extra width helps quite a bit for the conditions that many intermediates find the toughest, soft and sloppy. The overall ski doesn't need to be beefier(stiffer), if anything with today's sidecuts, the trend for *most* folks would be for a bit of a softer overall flex pattern, especially in the tip which tends to lead to easier turn initiation

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
My thinking is that I'd want to get an "advanced" all-mountain ski...something that can handle the variable conditions that we can get around here in NE but also has good enough edge hold to cruise down groomed hardpack. Some of the skis that may be contenders include Elan Magfire 10/12, Dynastar Legend 8000, Head Xenon 9.0...I'm sure that there are others.
There are better options than the 8000 if you want a good edge against hard pack, not that ski's forte. You may want to add the Volkl AC30 to that short list as well as Fischer's all mountain ski option, and something from the Head Monster series perhaps. There are a lot of choices, as always, demo day is the best way to find out what works best for you.

If you want to be serious in a race course, a recreational race ski is the only way to go. But you could easily enjoy the occasional non-serious fun NASTAR run using any ski that works well on hard pack. You would probably want to focus on the stiffer offerings in the all mountain mid-fat lineup. My recommendation would be to scour eBay for some cheap old race ski (I bet you could score a Volkl P40 or something like that with bindings for $100).

campgottagopee

My recommendation would be to scour eBay for some cheap old race ski (I bet you could score a Volkl P40 or something like that with bindings for $100).

What a great ski that was/is!!!! Still use mine in the course, it's just that I don't get enough gate time anymore. Sure is fun when I do though.

highpeaksdrifter

I've been starting to look at end-of-season sales and there are a few good deals out there, so I think I'm going to get another pair that will help this "temporarily-terminal intermediate" in getting to the next level in my skiing.

I may have the opportunity to demo some skis but I'm not sure I'll be able to demo exactly what I'm looking for...any input would be appreciated.

Hmmm...temporarily-terminal intermediate who wants to race Nastar. I'm thinkin the following:

Nordica Speedmachine14.2 - This ski is discontinued this season, the mach 2 took it's place in the speed machine lineup. I'm thinkin as an int. you pobably spend most of your time on the front side so you need a carver first (which will also work in NASTAR) but not a curver that is so stiff you have to ski it hard and fast to get the most out of it. You need something that you can turn at slow to moderate speeds without putting too much work into each turn. These fit the bill. 116-70-102, wood core, carbon no metal, sandwich construction and the price will be right if you can find a pair.

Like I said it's a 06/07 ski, but I've seen them in a couple of shops and on ebay. You can get them for a song if you can find them go for it.

Diggin the Nordica love in this thread and I agree with others the Nitrous would work too.as would the Grandsport S14, Hot Rod Overdrive and of course the Mach 2.

Last edited:

hammer

Does anyone have any opinions on how the all-mountain "midfat" skis usually do in bumps and glades? Seems like they would be good to cut through crud but I could use all the help I can get on ungroomed trails...

Greg

Staff member
Does anyone have any opinions on how the all-mountain "midfat" skis usually do in bumps and glades? Seems like they would be good to cut through crud but I could use all the help I can get on ungroomed trails...

Legend 8000s turn very quickly and easily. Also, due to the lack of a lot of sidecut, as well as their "turnability", they are great in the bumps too. The only place they suck is hard pack, and that's only relative to a more groomer specific ski.

hammer

OK, so I demo'ed a pair of Fischer Cool Heats at Wachusett on Saturday...really like the ski in the LSGR to spring conditions and, despite what I read, I didn't find that they were too stiff for me. They were heavy skis, however, and I didn't have any chances to try them in tighter spaces...

Any suggestions on a ski that would feel as stable as the Cool Heats but be a little lighter and more nimble?

ts01

Any suggestions on a ski that would feel as stable as the Cool Heats but be a little lighter and more nimble?

Fischer AMC 76. Not current in the Fischer line, I think was made for 2006 and 2007 years. Reputed to be a good one-ski-quiver midfat carver type ski dimensions - 120/76/106, r=16m; not the stiffest ski in the AMC lineup those years (that would be the AMC79). Compare to CoolHeat which is 117-76-103 (16m).

I have the predecessor to the AMC 76 - the BigStix 76 - great all mountain ski, similar construction to the AMC76 and very nimble despite longer turn radius (r=21) than the AMC76.

FWIW there's a guy selling a new pair of AMC 76 on the swap section of epicski.com. Don't know the seller but noticed the deal.

hammer

Fischer AMC 76. Not current in the Fischer line, I think was made for 2006 and 2007 years. Reputed to be a good one-ski-quiver midfat carver type ski dimensions - 120/76/106, r=16m; not the stiffest ski in the AMC lineup those years (that would be the AMC79). Compare to CoolHeat which is 117-76-103 (16m).

I have the predecessor to the AMC 76 - the BigStix 76 - great all mountain ski, similar construction to the AMC76 and very nimble despite longer turn radius (r=21) than the AMC76.

FWIW there's a guy selling a new pair of AMC 76 on the swap section of epicski.com. Don't know the seller but noticed the deal.
Thanks...I saw the post on EpicSki on the AMC 76 skis but I think the length is 176 cm, which is just a little too long for me.

bigbog

still plenty of snow in northern NewEngland...to demo

hammer,
There's still plenty of nice pp up north....still plenty of time for demoing.
Find something that'll honestly reward your skiing..

Last edited:

hammer

Pulled the trigger..

Guess I had a hole burning in my pocket...picked up a pair of Elan Magfire 10s. Read a lot of decent stuff about them and the price was pretty good. Thought about the 12s but I wasn't sure I wanted over 80 mm underfoot.

Now to see if I can get out on them this weekend...:-D