• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon

downhill04

Any Loon regulars who could answer a few questions for me?

I’m heading up there next weekend with a group of friends. I very well could be reading their conditions report wrong, but they seem behind other resorts in opening up terrain. I know compared to the last few years they are way ahead of schedule as far as trail counts, but it seems like they have not opened trails as quickly as other resorts so far this year. Is this the case or is it just me?

It seems as if there advanced terrain is almost all closed. Should I expect this to be the case next weekend? I know this is all weather depending I’m just looking for some local insight.

Thanks

Vortex

Loon always had made a ton of snow on a trail before moving on to another to its credit. Last years x-mass break was fairly quiet, but I would expect it to be much busier with all the nat snow and new peak.

AMAC2233

I heard last weekend that they've had the best early season conditions in a long time - (although everyone has I guess.) And that was before the storm. If you're looking for powder/short lift lines, though, this might be a bad choice as this is usually a busy weekend.

SIKSKIER

Loon also has not had as much snow as other northern ski areas.I know they have had at least a few ft less than Cannon.There is still plenty there to ski.Don't let the numbers scare you away.

downhill04

I heard last weekend that they've had the best early season conditions in a long time - (although everyone has I guess.) And that was before the storm. If you're looking for powder/short lift lines, though, this might be a bad choice as this is usually a busy weekend.

I was figuring this will be a busy weekend, which is another reason I was worried about trail counts. In the end I'm not so sure why I'm worrying. This trip is basically a bunch of college friends getting together and acting like we are 18 again. There will probably be more of this :beer: going on than actual skiing.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I was figuring this will be a busy weekend, which is another reason I was worried about trail counts. In the end I'm not so sure why I'm worrying. This trip is basically a bunch of college friends getting together and acting like we are 18 again. There will probably be more of this :beer: going on than actual skiing.
Well, then just save your money and skip the lift ticket:razz:

bigbob

Loon always had made a ton of snow on a trail before moving on to another to its credit. Last years x-mass break was fairly quiet, but I would expect it to be much busier with all the nat snow and new peak.

Skiied Loon today, including the new South Peak. Can any body say "Bretton Woods", that's what it remined me of.
Base depths at Loon do not seem to be that deep, a few thin areas here and there.They seem to be getting a lot open though. Snowmaking was limited to the park area. Gondola was running also. They had to walk a Cat 325 excavator down from somewhere, possibly used to reset the cable on the gondola. It was tied to a groomer, had his stick out in front of him with the bucket teeth pointing down, three groomers followed and fixed the mess.
Top of North Peak was very windblown, down to rocks top of Flume. Snow on Walking Boss was nice.

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
You don't say where you are staying

Take the hour drive to Sunday river

you won't be disappointed

Hit Cannon on 2 for tuesday though...about 20 minutes I think

Loon is great if you're slopeside....oh, and avoid the gondooooooola

AMAC2233

Good place to go for that - be sure to check out the Bunyan Room.

Vortex

I spent more time on the Governors side. I hope they have not gone away from making deep base areas before moving on.

I won't be back until next year when they will have a Loon, Sunday River, loaf pass.

It usually took me 1.40 to get to SR from Loon. This weekend has always been quiet before the Holiday. Well it was for the last 8 years when I went every weekend.

If what you said is correct about the conditions. I can give a 1st hand update from the River.
Its been freeking Fantastic.

Cannon is an easier option, but no comparision with the snow making output.
Hope you enjoy the trip. I still love the entire region.

Telemechanic

Skiied Loon today, including the new South Peak. Can any body say "Bretton Woods", that's what it remined me of.
Base depths at Loon do not seem to be that deep, a few thin areas here and there.They seem to be getting a lot open though. Snowmaking was limited to the park area. Gondola was running also. They had to walk a Cat 325 excavator down from somewhere, possibly used to reset the cable on the gondola. It was tied to a groomer, had his stick out in front of him with the bucket teeth pointing down, three groomers followed and fixed the mess.
Top of North Peak was very windblown, down to rocks top of Flume. Snow on Walking Boss was nice.

the excavator was at the top of South Peak to improve the western unload of Tote Road which wasn't quite right last weekend. A bunch of fill was removed and its good now. The last three groomers were were just late getting off South Peak after opening Boom Run for the season.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Sorry, I only made it as far as Waterville Valley before I bailed off I-93. However, conditions were excellent with up to a foot if not more fresh powder up high, and I imagine Loon must have done at least as well. Get there quickly, because Sunday's rain will likely make a royal mess of everything.