• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MITTENS

SKIQUATTRO

I have a pair of Marmot Randonee gloves, which are great. I get cold fingers and toes very easily. I am looking to get a pair of Mittens for colder days. What do you all suggest (I ski)

My wife has a pair of EMS mittens and loves em...just seeing what other suggestions everyone has.

JimG.

Staff member
Mittens is a good name for a cat.

Other than that, I've got no use for mittens. I find them cumbersome and funny looking. Sorry for being so superficial, but I just don't like them.

Have you considered a pair of heavier duty gloves to keep those fingers warm? I bought a pair of ice climbing gloves from Black Diamond a few years ago and I've got to say that these gloves would keep me warm in any conditions. They're so warm I rarely wear them. But on days when the temp dips below 0 degrees, they are simply awesome.

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
I like something that really breaths... I bought these and intended them for Nordic skiing and long Ski tours, the became my every day gloves http://www.skirack.com/browse.cfm/4,348.htm

I give a hardy thumbs up for three fingered skiers!

Sorry Jim, these things are the best, the use of your fingers (not cumbersome) yet warm then gloves.

PS I also have a pair of Super Colouir OR gloves that are awesome if its in the - digits

JimG.

Staff member
salida said:
Sorry Jim, these things are the best, the use of your fingers (not cumbersome) yet warm then gloves.

Not for me...I'm even less likely to show up at the slopes in my lobster boy outfit than regular mittens :lol: .

I'm no fashion plate, but there's something about mittens and lobster claws that just don't tickle my fashion sense. I know, it's superficial and the fact is that mittens are very warm, I just can't wear them.

That's why I bought the ice climbing gloves:

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/ice_glove.php

They ain't cheap, but I find that even on super cold days I can take them off to open a pocket and my hands are so warm they stay warm until I put the glove back on.

NYDrew

I find mittens are soooooo much warmer then gloves that cheap mittens rival expensive gloves. I keep a pair of dirt cheap $10 mittens in my bag for the extra chilly days. But they are cumbersome and stupid looking, especially on a skiier (get me my matching ski outfit, im going to aspen. Wait, i do have a matching ski outfit, crap I better burn the matching ski outfit before anyone else sees me)

JimG.

Staff member
NYDrew said:
I find mittens are soooooo much warmer then gloves that cheap mittens rival expensive gloves. I keep a pair of dirt cheap $10 mittens in my bag for the extra chilly days.

Funny...there's a current thread on ski quivers and I see folks who have 4,5...10 or 15 pairs of skis and bindings and I've yet to see a post about how expensive it is to have that many skis. Who needs that many skis?

Yet mention gloves or mittens and folks go into frugal mode.

Drew, I got the ice climbing gloves on sale for about $75...that's 10 times cheaper than what alot of people pay for skis and bindings. I figure I'm way ahead of most people with a kabillion pair of skis financially speaking.

SKIQUATTRO must be ready to strangle me for hijacking his thread...sorry.

NYDrew

As it stands now, I am the silver medalist on said thread. here is my cost to own all that stuff:

Dynastar 63's w. bindings - $300
Rossi Vipers w. Bindings - $240 (now crispi)
Atomic C-11 - $300 + $100 for bindings
Salomon Equppe w. bind- Gift
K2 ? w. bind- Found abandoned in my basement
Dyanstar ? w. bind - found abandoned on curb
Atomic Arc 7 w. bind- Gift
Atomic beta tele w. bind- Gift
Nordica GP red boots - $240 + $80 for beds
Lange Comp 120's - $200 + $35 to mod beds, $150 for continual customization
Alpini Crap Boots - $120
Garmont tele boots - gift
Alpina blades - gift
salomon blades - gift

if you think about it and divide by 12, it comes to $148 per year that ive been skiing. I think I spend more on ski clothes.

JimG.

Staff member
NYDrew said:
As it stands now, I am the silver medalist on said thread. here is my cost to own all that stuff:

Dynastar 63's w. bindings - $300
Rossi Vipers w. Bindings - $240 (now crispi)
Atomic C-11 - $300 + $100 for bindings
Salomon Equppe w. bind- Gift
K2 ? w. bind- Found abandoned in my basement
Dyanstar ? w. bind - found abandoned on curb
Atomic Arc 7 w. bind- Gift
Atomic beta tele w. bind- Gift
Nordica GP red boots - $240 + $80 for beds
Lange Comp 120's - $200 + $35 to mod beds, $150 for continual customization
Alpini Crap Boots - $120
Garmont tele boots - gift
Alpina blades - gift
salomon blades - gift

if you think about it and divide by 12, it comes to $148 per year that ive been skiing. I think I spend more on ski clothes.

You forgot the old 2x4's with duct tape bindings :lol: .

57stevey

I have the Swany Toaster mitts - they have removeable fleece glove inserts and side zippers - unzip for dexterity or cooling, or to insert those chemical warmers. I can't imagine any condition in which I'd be cold with these. Plus I can use the gloves alone in the car, or wear the unzipped mitts without the gloves for spring skiing.

NYDrew

yeah, swany is great. I have a fabric pair which is great, but they are 12 years old (my first pair of ski gloves)and stink like hell. I've actually had students ask me not to touch them because of the smell, that is when I stopped wearing them.

I lost my best pair in a fire. they were PSIA issue all leather glove. Totally waterproof, always warm. I'm sure any of swany's all leather gloves are of equal quality.

I have found that gloves with knuckle padding seem to be the warmest. Although the reason I use them is because the padding helps when a student steps on my hand.

SKIQUATTRO

picked up the swany toaster mitts on Sat up at Northern Ski Works (got fitted for new boots by Hal, awesome) and skied on Sunday with them...what a difference Mitts over my gloves,,,so warm. (boots were awesome too!