• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Off Season Conditioning

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Ugh. I put on 5 lb over Christmas break. Now I'm back down 3. Still where I was in late October. The ski pants are JUST a big snug ;)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Gonna try and hit the gym today.. first workout post rib injury last sat... not planning on doing much other than to try and get breathing moderately deep.. maybe treadmill, or stationary bike if I am not in too much pain. Anything to say I am starting rehab of some sort... of course, if it hurts like hell I'll be back to square one.

Moguls should be fine for those ribs :)

No X-ray pics??!!

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Been keeping up with pyramids in the basement along with short runs and hikes. I've felt pretty good skiing but also haven't been very challenged thus far. Feeling the quads on a run or two every so.often but nothing crazy.

Running has been tough for me in this elevation. Haven't ran over 2 miles in about a month and those 2 miles are taking me 20 minutes plus because there are some hills. Frustrating yet, still plugging away.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Uhhh after skiing Jackson hole the other day wall squats are being incorporated into my daily workout from now on. My legs were on F I R E

Madroch

Moguls should be fine for those ribs :)

No X-ray pics??!!

Almost mogul ready...couple more weeks... back to regular excercise, only get pain when doing pull ups, extended plank work, lawnmowers and a few other moves-- and still sore in the morning when I sleep on em--

damn, forgot to ask the doc for the pics when I went for my annual (had the hospital send em to my primary prior to visit).

Madroch

Uhhh after skiing Jackson hole the other day wall squats are being incorporated into my daily workout from now on. My legs were on F I R E

lol... I know, serious difference in terrain from what a lot of us (at least me, anyway) are used to... read a funny article about this somewhere where the author wrote about the guys from the 600 foot local hill who went to the alps or something wihh 6000 vert-- and thier tale of woe....that would be me...

legalskier

large_LastTurn01.jpg

This.

ScottySkis

I guess buying Mrs Fields cookies buy one get one free at cvs this week is keeping me way from posting in this thread, white marcendoma too good stomach has grown out,, munchies factor one thing that i always get hit with but i still love MJ.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
6 day supermodel slim down! Down 10lbs in 2 weeks and going strong. Still skiing but lots of cardio and jump training. Have not been this committed to a diet/exercise regimen in at least 5 years and I have more energy then ever. Up early beep bopping around making omelets and walking the dogs BEFORE work. Unheard of for me :) I usually wake up 5 min til it's time to leave

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
For off season conditioning I have picked up jumping rope! No idea why I have not done this before, it feels great.... once I gained the coordination to do more than three in a row. I try to do four reps of fifty in the morning (50 is about the time I start tripping myself), and also when I get home from work. Wish I had though of this before

kingslug

I'm stuck...my gym opens late so I can only hit it after work..and sometimes just not up to it. I've been trying to get in 2 full body workouts a week and yoga at least once, also fast hiking around a large park near me. But the weight stays the same, and yeah I don't eat as perfect as I should. I take the stairs whenever possible, walk a mile back and forth to work as fast as possible every day...not a runner though, hate it. A friend of mine who is 4 years younger than me is..just a friggin animal, training for a 12 mile tough mudder, runs 6 miles twice a week, benches 300...don't know how he does it...

drjeff

I'm stuck...my gym opens late so I can only hit it after work..and sometimes just not up to it. I've been trying to get in 2 full body workouts a week and yoga at least once, also fast hiking around a large park near me. But the weight stays the same, and yeah I don't eat as perfect as I should. I take the stairs whenever possible, walk a mile back and forth to work as fast as possible every day...not a runner though, hate it. A friend of mine who is 4 years younger than me is..just a friggin animal, training for a 12 mile tough mudder, runs 6 miles twice a week, benches 300...don't know how he does it...

The Tri-state TM in NJ in November??

As a veteran of the TM at Mount Snow last May (and 2 weeks from today, hopefully I will earn my 2nd orange headband!) TM is almost as much about the mental toughness as it is out the physical challenge! If you can comfortably run 5 miles and do 25 push ups/25 pull ups, you've got all the physical ability you'll need, since for the TM course, unless you're in the 1st group off of the day and a very fast, elite level athlete, you won't be running non stop for the whole course as you'll be waiting at most of the obstacles as your fellow TM'ers go through them ahead of you (and the for many obstacles HELP you get over/through them as you likely just did for them as they were going over/through that obstacle). The cold water is just that, but after the 1st couple of times, you know what you're getting into when you hit it each subsequent time and it's manageable. The electricty parts, well to me last year they felt like a bee sting, noticeable, but not crazy, although I did see many people get "dropped" when the got "hit" by them. The feeling of accomplishment you get when you cross that finishline, get that orange headband, and grab that free Dos Equis is AWESOME though, and convinced me to sign up again for this years event! :)

deadheadskier

Staff member
25 push ups is quite simple. I know of very few people who can do 10 pull ups in a row, never mind 25.

wa-loaf

Biceps Tendonitis = just doing some running right now. Trying to watch my intake some, but I've been going out a lot lately.

kingslug

I'm not a runner. I've tried many times but it just wastes me too quick. I can hike, fast walk for miles though. As far as pullups, after too many shoulder seperations through the years its the one thing I avoid. I would like to try a better running shoe as I've heard they can be specific to your style, maybe mine is wrong as its gets very painfull pretty quick. Also at 225 I'm slamming my poor knees with a lot...

kingslug

Running and light weights for me

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Just for the hell of it I hired a personal trainer..dropped a grand on him..he favored light weights with very slow movements..didn't do a damn thing for me..just lightened my wallet...I've concluded after 30 years of lifting weights on and off that heavy lifting is the only thing that works. Its the only way to build strength and that really is the only purpose of lifting weights. I came across a program called strong lift 5x5. Pretty simple. Squats, bench, standing overhead press, rows and deadlifts. 5 sets of 5 reps, add 5 lbs to each workout. No machines, just a bench, power rack and olympic weights. You work the whole body and keep getting stronger. When you start maxing out there are variations to keep you on track. Its working so far and has helped me go bell to bell on the hill...

o3jeff

I can't stand going to gyms and working out standing in one place. I can't run to far either since I always end up with shin splints and it just pounds my knees and they end up hurting too.

To keep in shape I ended up going for walks outside all winter after dinner and now that it stays light out later have been doing some road riding after dinner and planning to get some mountain biking in too. It is a lot easier on the knees. I watch what I eat, but enjoy my desserts and ice cream too a few times a week. I'm at my 165 lb mark and want to stay right around it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not a runner. I've tried many times but it just wastes me too quick. I can hike, fast walk for miles though. As far as pullups, after too many shoulder seperations through the years its the one thing I avoid. I would like to try a better running shoe as I've heard they can be specific to your style, maybe mine is wrong as its gets very painfull pretty quick. Also at 225 I'm slamming my poor knees with a lot...

Not a runner myself. I prefer the stairmaster or eliptical machine for cardio. I want to preserve my knees to prolong my skiing career as long as possible.

As for pull ups, if you are using correct form, there's minimal chance of dislocating a shoulder doing the exercise. You are much more likely to dislocate a shoulder doing a military press or even a bench press than you are with doing pull ups. The anatomy of the shoulder is that it is weakest underneath and strongest above hence, most dislocations are the result of downward pressure as there's very little underneath the head of the humerus to hold it in the shoulder socket. You don't put downward pressure on the shoulder joint doing a pull up. You very much do so with bench presses (especially incline) and military presses.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Biceps Tendonitis = just doing some running right now. Trying to watch my intake some, but I've been going out a lot lately.

yeah...I have to admit since I've been eating healthy and cutting back on the alcohol I really haven't been going out much (it's only been 2 weeks) but I'm doing so well and feeling so good I don't want to be tempted so I've been staying in a lot..kind of boring..