• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Off Season Conditioning

kingslug

I haven't seperated either of them in years but the damage is done. Hanging off anything is very painfull, tried the monkey bars last week, didn't work, but I can do 3 or 4 pullups. Presses and benching hurts but not as bad, its why I like deadlifting, zero pain and its fun to lift up a lot of weight. The GF and I bought 2 bikes last year..but never used the damn things...going to start this year with or without her!

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Cycle. Road and mountain. Cycle hard...you must suffer in the saddle to reap the benefits. The lbs fly off in the warmer weather when I can get out 3x/midweek before work and then on the weekends mostly on the roadbike. Could only get out for an hour or so today, got in 20 miles. Got 30 on Tuesday before work and was out both sat and sunday last week.

Then just pushups and situps and planks. I could do some more arms, but like you, Slug, I've got some bum shoulders.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
did 5 miles today outside run, first outdoors run of the year. Was pretty damn tough. i'v ebeen pounding out 4 milers in the basement over and over again.

Can't believe I ran a marathon four years ago... haha

vdk03

Somehow I've lost almost 10lbs in the past two weeks. I think it has been from a combination of telemarking, working almost everyday for the past few weeks (which involves setting these massive beams) and watching Ski Stef diet. Kind of cracks me up she diets and we both loose weight. :)
Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

drjeff

Cycle. Road and mountain. Cycle hard...you must suffer in the saddle to reap the benefits. The lbs fly off in the warmer weather when I can get out 3x/midweek before work and then on the weekends mostly on the roadbike. Could only get out for an hour or so today, got in 20 miles. Got 30 on Tuesday before work and was out both sat and sunday last week.

Then just pushups and situps and planks. I could do some more arms, but like you, Slug, I've got some bum shoulders.

2:45 in the saddle over 43.5 miles yesterday AM with a bunch of hills - a really good sufferfest in the saddle! :)

jrmagic

I haven't seperated either of them in years but the damage is done. Hanging off anything is very painfull, tried the monkey bars last week, didn't work, but I can do 3 or 4 pullups. Presses and benching hurts but not as bad, its why I like deadlifting, zero pain and its fun to lift up a lot of weight. The GF and I bought 2 bikes last year..but never used the damn things...going to start this year with or without her!

Sounds like you have some damage to one or more of the rotator cuff muscles.

I've slacked off a bit since the season ended. I took a digger President's week and had some lingering pain in one ankle and one knee along with some elbow tendinitis as an excuse to lay off the gym and running and I'm starting to pay the price. I've gained 5 pounds in the past 2 months. I really need to get my butt in gear and get back to the gym.

kingslug

Got me some...rockered sneakers! to you know..match my skis. Strange to walk around in but i think they will work..supposed to keep you off your heels and...we'll see...
Oh..question...after lifting are you totaly spent..I'm wiped...slugging on the couch now watching Top Gear..

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Usually I'm pretty wiped out after lifting, but it's more due to incorporating circuits to get a bit of cardio in as well. Rather than rest between sets, I go immediately into ab work unless the lifting exercise already involves the core such as squats or dead lifts. I think the most important thing to do immediately after lifting is to have a protein shake. It helps not only in making the work you do more beneficial, but also really helps with muscle recovery.

kingslug

Usually I'm pretty wiped out after lifting, but it's more due to incorporating circuits to get a bit of cardio in as well. Rather than rest between sets, I go immediately into ab work unless the lifting exercise already involves the core such as squats or dead lifts. I think the most important thing to do immediately after lifting is to have a protein shake. It helps not only in making the work you do more beneficial, but also really helps with muscle recovery.

I always do..hurts for 2 days anyway..

Madroch

About 5 weeks in to stronglifts 5x5-- interesting program- doing a little cardio on off days but not enough. My left shoulder gave out today doing overhead presses... have to see how that pans out- getting old sucks.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
hiking/dirtbiking/running/soccer. Trying to get involved in activities so I'm not in the house doing p90x. Still down exactly 10lbs and staying at that weight but it is now getting hard to lose more.

Tooth

hiking/dirtbiking/running/soccer. Trying to get involved in activities so I'm not in the house doing p90x. Still down exactly 10lbs and staying at that weight but it is now getting hard to lose more.

Your leptin levels have fallen off due to dieting. One day out of 7 have carbs in high volume as a "cheat" day. Follow your cheat day with a 14-16 hour fast then eat a normal high protein dinner. I know this sounds weird but on your 14-16 fast day do both resistance training, ie P90x early and 30 mins of moderate cardio later. This will destroy your fat reserves while leaving your muscle untouched. Drink a bunch of water also. Diet pretty well 6 out of 7 days and you will be very surprised. This works. Its important to do the P90x training more so than cardio because the cardio will cause cortisol release thus causing fat storage. Never combine carbs with fat at the same time. Carbs spike insulin levels and insulin acts as a cellular transport key. If the carbs spike your insulin and fat is present in your blood you are screwed. Have fats together with protein only. Have carbs with protein only following resistance training. Only break this rule on your cheat days. Ask me any questions you want. This is a sustainable way to eat. It is sort of intermittent fasting and it kicks ass. If done right I wont even put the numbers up that you can lose in fat because you wont believe me. Its very important to eat clean 6 of the 7 days a week and workout. Dont workout for more than 45 mins at a time or cortisol will take over and catabolism of muscle will become a problem thus causing your body to want to preserve your fat. Do a kick ass resistance workout on your cheat day and the protein youve eaten combined with the carbs will cause the protein to enter your muscle cells. Its all science based. The only people who can and should workout for more than 40-45 mins are bodybuilders on steroids. Make the 40-45 mins count. Go for it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Tooth

If you care to and have the time, would you mind mapping out a 7 day "mock" diet / exercise schedule using the above principals? Just hypothetical meals and workouts. Say, Sunday is the cheat day, and Monday is the fast day with the high protein dinner.

That seems like a pretty cool program you have mapped out. I've definitely seen components of it in other diets, but it would be interesting to see the philosophy you are suggesting mapped out over a 7 day schedule.

or if you know of a link to more detailed information on such a program, I'd love to see it.

Thanks! :)

Tooth

Tooth

If you care to and have the time, would you mind mapping out a 7 day "mock" diet / exercise schedule using the above principals? Just hypothetical meals and workouts. Say, Sunday is the cheat day, and Monday is the fast day with the high protein dinner.

That seems like a pretty cool program you have mapped out. I've definitely seen components of it in other diets, but it would be interesting to see the philosophy you are suggesting mapped out over a 7 day schedule.

or if you know of a link to more detailed information on such a program, I'd love to see it.

I'll post it tomorrow. Dont buy this bcs I'll give you the info you need in tomorows post. Here is the link to the program.

http://xtremefatlossdiet.com/presale/indexd2.html

http://www.eatstopeat.com/5th.html

http://www.romanfitnesssystems.com/blog/super-hero-workout-revealed/

These are a few great programs. This is the new P90x. Way better.

Last edited:

Tooth

Nice, thank you!

No problem. Its funny. I used to do the Insanity workout everyday for over 2 years. Ouch. I ended up with minor overuse injuries such as a tweaked knee, tweaked achilles, etc. These guys are all master level university graduates with degrees in nutrition, exercise physiology, etc. These are the real Tony Hortons of today and tomorrow. Its crazy when you buy into it and do it. You will get amazing results by working your ass off but not to the point of burnout. They encourage program variation from time to time in some of the same way P90x sells "muscle confusion". Its different though. They want the variance so you dont mentally burnout versus physical burnout. Heres another amazing link to checkout. This is an amazing program. BPak is an animal. Top 4 bodybuilders in the world right now. We dont want that type of body but his principals when used correctly kick ass in 40 mins a day. Unreal change to your body.

http://mi40workout.com/

http://mi40benpakulski.com/mi40-by-ben-pakulski

Tooth

Tooth

Here you go:

Sunday...cheat day...eat whatever you want and as much of it. Drink a bunch of water early to stay hydrated. Dont eat until you get sick. Just eat the foods that you shouldnt during the rest of the week. Pizza, cake, whatever. Do a resistance workout where you move pretty quickly betweens sets. Do sets of 20 reps of a lighter weight. Do 12 sets per body part you are working. Example would be to work your chest, back, and biceps. Limited rest between sets. You can do P90x to keep it simple here. Light weights and a ton of movement. Do the workout early in am before you turn piggy.
Monday.....Fast day.....resistance workout in early am.....12 sets per body part but move the weight slower...4 seconds up and 2 down....lactic acid stimulates Growth hormone production....do 2 body parts...40 seconds bet sets......do a HITT workout after work...ie sprint 30 seconds jog 30 seconds...repeat 12 times...5 min warm up and 5 min cool down....if you can, do a final 25 min easy jog at the end of the day
Tuesday.....High carb day...275 grams carbs.....200 grams protein.....100 grams fat....do a resistance workout in am where you lift heavy weights for 6 reps per lift x 12 sets.....two body parts...HITT workout in afternoon
Weds and Thursday.....HITT in the am and 25 mins jogging in pm.....no carbs all day....high protein...keep calories to 1000-1100.....eat clean....fish....salmon with olive oil
Friday.....Same type of workout as cheat day in am with evening cardio of 25 run.....diet is 150 grams carbs.....200 grams protein....100 grams fat....2250-2500 cals total
Saturday.....Fast day......same as Monday

Repeat this week for 4 weeks and you should lose about 25 pounds of fat without muscle loss. I know the grams are a pain in the ass and anal. Just try to be somewhat close in proportion. Eat clean foods like fish, chicken, vegetables, clean carbs like quinoa or multigrain rice. Fats like olive oil, tree nuts. Drink water. Dont get dehydrated. Dont weigh yourself for 3 days post cheat day. This works. Nothing worthwhile is easy. Get P90x to keep it simple in the beginning. HITT can be on a treadmill, elliptical, backyard, etc. HITT stands for high intensity interval training. Dont do this workout for more than a month. After the month get BPaks MI 40 and use that for a few months, 4, while doing cardio every other day mixing up HITT with 30 mins of moderate cardio every other workout.

Enjoy. Fire away with questions. I know this is extreme but it gives off extreme results without rebound weight gain if you stay clean afterwards at about 2500 cals per day of healthy foods in a 1.5 protein 1 carbs .5 fats proportion.

Last edited: