• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Really bad info

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Wow, I was Googleing for discount and used ski gear, when I found this site. http://www.skitrucks.com/ It looks like they are mostly targeting beginner skiers, but read this advice they actually have posted on their "How to Fit" page.

WAXING YOUR SKIS
The bottoms of your skis do not have to be waxed! The bottoms are a closed, celled product made by one man and are very low maintenance! Your bottoms are better off not waxed! Once they have been waxed with a temperature restricted wax, you have to keep going back for temperature changes. Stick with the original base and it is maintenance free! The old skis 30 years ago had an open celled base and needed wax, NEWER SKIS DON�T NEED WAX, PERIOD! Learn more about how to take care of the bottoms of your skis!

As the skis get scratches on the bottoms they will slow down so buy your own stiff steel paint scraper (a putty knife will not work) and scrape it with long hard strokes. If you get a big rock gouge, place the scraper on the metal edges and do a long hard stroke. The best base repair is the soda pop can holder plastic that is twisted together and then melted into the deep hole. Let it cool, then scrape it off hard. You can cut it smoother by using a sand paper grinder or a hydraulic press than pushing your ski into a ski eating stone wheel.

If you want to go fast, simply use Pam out of the kitchen or silicone spray. There are a lot of "not wax" products out there now. Metal edges are better left alone, unless you hit a rock or something major. If you feel you �have� to sharpen your edges, make sure you buy an edge sharpener that cuts both edges at once. A dull edge for recreational skiing is forgiving; you make a mistake it will let you correct and keep going. A sharp edge is for racing only or lots of ice; you make a mistake while skiing, it will put you down. If the tops of the skis get scratched, use a clear plastic or clear acrylic spray paint. Put it on sparingly and it will erase the scratches and help the shine some. Use very sparingly!

BOOTS
Here�s how to make your boots your own!

To mold boots to your feet: turn your boots upside down over the forced air heater vent all night long. The next morning while the boot is hot (usually the plastic shell will even move to fit your foot right), get in the boot, buckle it as tight as you can and walk around in that boot for 40 minutes at room temperature. This will not work sitting in front of the TV or computer! You need to WALK AROUND for a good 40 minutes! But when you go skiing you buckle the boot as loose as you can as long as the heel stays put in the back of your ski boot. If you can pull your heel, slip, etc, that doesn�t count. When you are pumping when you are skiing, that is when the heel should not lift. (ex: as you are pumping your turns)

SOCKS
The best sock combination is the nylon sock on the skin and a second sock with cotton or wool blend in it. The cotton doesn�t have to be 100%. This combo will wick the moisture from your skin leaving it dryer and warmer. The #1 reason for cold feet is boots that are too tight.

WOW. :blink:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
cotton..that's a bunch of BS..and Root you've been wasting your time waxing your skis..
and you've been wasting AtomicJeff's time! :razz:
icon_smile_banghead.gif

Yeah, I'm gonna get a big can of PAN at BJ's for next season and we can spray up in the lodge!

bvibert

Staff member
WAXING YOUR SKIS
The bottoms of your skis do not have to be waxed! The bottoms are a closed, celled product made by one man and are very low maintenance! Your bottoms are better off not waxed! Once they have been waxed with a temperature restricted wax, you have to keep going back for temperature changes. Stick with the original base and it is maintenance free! The old skis 30 years ago had an open celled base and needed wax, NEWER SKIS DON�T NEED WAX, PERIOD! Learn more about how to take care of the bottoms of your skis!

As the skis get scratches on the bottoms they will slow down so buy your own stiff steel paint scraper (a putty knife will not work) and scrape it with long hard strokes. If you get a big rock gouge, place the scraper on the metal edges and do a long hard stroke. The best base repair is the soda pop can holder plastic that is twisted together and then melted into the deep hole. Let it cool, then scrape it off hard. You can cut it smoother by using a sand paper grinder or a hydraulic press than pushing your ski into a ski eating stone wheel.

If you want to go fast, simply use Pam out of the kitchen or silicone spray. There are a lot of "not wax" products out there now. Metal edges are better left alone, unless you hit a rock or something major. If you feel you �have� to sharpen your edges, make sure you buy an edge sharpener that cuts both edges at once. A dull edge for recreational skiing is forgiving; you make a mistake it will let you correct and keep going. A sharp edge is for racing only or lots of ice; you make a mistake while skiing, it will put you down. If the tops of the skis get scratched, use a clear plastic or clear acrylic spray paint. Put it on sparingly and it will erase the scratches and help the shine some. Use very sparingly!
WOW. :blink:

Sounds about right to me.

Glenn

Here's what your skis will be good for after following their tuning advice.

headchair.jpg

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I looked at that site a couple years ago. It is so opposite to the truth that I was convinced the whole thing was a farce. But it hasn't changed, so I don't know what their problem is. How could they possibly survive like this in SLC, so close to nirvana? I wonder if the whole staff thinks this way or just the nitwit webmaster?

Wonder if they advise storing your boards in the attic too. And turning the DIN to max....
I'd hate to see these guys give advice on ski and board lessons!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I looked at that site a couple years ago. It is so opposite to the truth that I was convinced the whole thing was a farce. But it hasn't changed, so I don't know what their problem is. How could they possibly survive like this in SLC, so close to nirvana? I wonder if the whole staff thinks this way or just the nitwit webmaster?

Wonder if they advise storing your boards in the attic too. And turning the DIN to max....
I'd hate to see these guys give advice on ski and board lessons!
Yeah, I didn't get it either.

Maybe it's a spoof.

actually at first I thought it was a spoof put on by those TGR mags but I think it's real..there are alot of goobers out there and every season, I see people skiing in safety strap skis from the Carter administration. They'd be better off dropping a couple bills on some Public Enemys with some modern binders off some Newschoolers Jibhonk then buying a pair of delaminated Pres off that lame site.

It's different with other sports..you can play Tennis with an old wooden racket, golf with your grandpas clubs or tool around town on your Baby Mamas cleaning ladies Mongoose from Toys R Us but with skis..good binders are mas importante..I hope the owner of this site is reading this...you better check yourself before your clients wreck themselves..