• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Single Cup Coffee Makers: Do you like yours?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I currently have a Bosch Tassimo single cup coffee maker that I got on clearance for $25 last year. It heats the water fast and does a decent job, but there aren't many blends to pick from, nor is there any adjustability.

My mom got the Keurig at BJ's that comes with 72 cups, has a few different sizes to pick from in brewing cycles, and it has an iced coffee setting. I'm leaning heavily toward that right now... I like that you can also make your own K-cups with any coffee, plus they have a HUGE selection of flavors/brands of premade K-cups.

Who else has single cup coffee makers? What do you have and do you like it? If not, why not? I do have to say that I love not having to make a pot since I'm the only one who drinks coffee here. 4 cups at a time ended up being a waste...

WoodCore

I have a Keurig and love it! If you do go that route I would reccommend picking up the reusable kcup so you can use any kind of regular ground coffee.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
I don't think single-cup tastes as good. I've had a bunch of different coffees from a Keurig brewer, and while it wasn't bad, it wasn't great. I like to grind my coffee, and brew a full pot. Brings out the best flavors. And it usually doesn't go to waste... I can drink a lot of coffee!

However, the convenience factor is a big plus for the single-cup brewers.

ctenidae

Had a Tassimo, hated the taste. Had a Keurig, hated the taste. Have some third brand at work, hate the taste.

Of the choices, though, I think the Keurig is best, in large part because of the reusable cups, and Green Mountain makes, overall, a decent cup of coffee.

Also fond of the Keurig founders who had one hell of a good deal going, and then made a boatload of cash selling to Green Mountain. Brilliant.

Geoff

Am I the only one who gets three days out of a pot of coffee? That's what the microwave is for. 2 day old coffee is way better than that single shot stuff.

ctenidae

French press.

No wait! I mean... freedom press.

Do like the french press, just not the waiting for the water to boil or the cleanup afterwards.
Also like the stovetop espresso makers- in a cup of hot milk, dang tasty. Also useful for hiking.

7857.jpg

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Green tea doesn't keep one awake to do boring homework assignments. ;)

I'm not a coffee snob, that's for sure. I've only really been drinking it for the last year (thanks, college!). My MIL will drink from the same pot of coffee for a whole week... ick. Since my coffee needs/desires change dramatically from day to day (I can go a whole week without drinking it, then down 3 cups/day for 3 days), drinking from the same pot still isn't all that good of a choice for me, even if I didn't think it was gross to leave the pot out for days and just keep reheating. ;)

SKIQUATTRO - Thanks for the tip on Coffee Cow! $4 less a box than Keurig's site (though if you buy 2 boxes when you first register the coffeemaker, I guess you get 10% off plus 2 free and free shipping... so Coffee Cow is a good option after the freebies).

My sis is picking up the BJ's Keurig for me tonight. Hope it was a good decision!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Our coffee Maker has a 4 cup mode that seems to work just fine. A typical mug is 1.5-2 cups anyway. I probably drink 3 cups in the morning, roughly 1.5 fills of my travel mug.

ZYDECORICH

Green tea doesn't keep one awake to do boring homework assignments. ;)

I'm not a coffee snob, that's for sure. I've only really been drinking it for the last year (thanks, college!). My MIL will drink from the same pot of coffee for a whole week... ick. Since my coffee needs/desires change dramatically from day to day (I can go a whole week without drinking it, then down 3 cups/day for 3 days), drinking from the same pot still isn't all that good of a choice for me, even if I didn't think it was gross to leave the pot out for days and just keep reheating. ;)

SKIQUATTRO - Thanks for the tip on Coffee Cow! $4 less a box than Keurig's site (though if you buy 2 boxes when you first register the coffeemaker, I guess you get 10% off plus 2 free and free shipping... so Coffee Cow is a good option after the freebies).

My sis is picking up the BJ's Keurig for me tonight. Hope it was a good decision!

Coffee is one of life's pure delights, and as you will find out (or already know) so necessary with kids in your face at all hours. We've had a few different Keurig makers at work, and all were ok... don't care for the coffee they supply all that much but it's ok. I usually make enough for two large cups in my Cuisinart coffee maker with A&P French Roast freshly ground.. excellent coffee... but it's amazing how the first brew you make out of the bag is never matched after the bag has been opened, but still a great coffee at a decent price. get it if you can.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I ended up with the B77, which is the model available at Costco & BJ's (it can brew 3 different cup sizes plus has the iced beverage option--will be a big savings on iced coffee alone!) and it comes with 72 K-cups. Will definitely be getting the "My K-cup" so I can make my own--definitely a huge plus with this over the Tassimo. But in the meantime, can't wait to try out some of the more interesting flavored coffee options like German Chocolate Cake and Chocolate Glazed Donut. :D

Greg

Staff member
A basic keurig here. Love it. But it's causing me to drink too much coffee...

adkskier

Keurig

The Keurig does a fine job as an office convenience or a quick cup at home if you have excess counter space. CoffeeGiant has a great variety and I do not work for them. Select the "extra bold" versions to get a decent cup of coffee and don't select the largest cup size. On the other hand if you drink a couple of good sized mugs of coffee each morning, you could use a 4 cup coffee maker or a full sized drip machine such as a Krup that offers a "small pot" setting. The latter make the coffee slowly so that the water spends more time in contact with the grounds. I use a Keurig in the office and the Krups at home. Every morning I make 3-4 cups for breakfast; that's 2 mugs.

ERJ-145CA

I have a 10 cup coffeemaker that I usually use to make 1 cup at a time. I'll just pour 1.5 mugs of water into it and add 3 heaping tablespoons of coffee and it works great. So yes, I like my single cup coffeemaker.

roark

Premium coffee prices for substandard coffee and lots more waste produced. Yay!

o3jeff

I can't see spending that kind of money on a coffee pot and on k-cups. I seem to only get about a year out of a coffee maker anyways.

I usually make a half a pot every day if I drink it or not cause like adkskier said, the grounds need to soak a little to get to their full flavor.

snoseek

I personally can't imagine making coffee without a French Press. Way cheaper, nothing to buy except coffee and clean up really isn't that bad unless you're just lazy in which case you need more coffee