• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sweet Rack or Nice Box!

How do you carry your skis?

• Rack

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • Box

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Whatever, it all gets tossed in the back.

Votes: 52 53.1%

• Total voters

SteveInCT

Yakima Fatcat rack on an Xterra. I can't believe Thule hasn't designed a more aerodynamic ski rack yet. The Fatcat's don't hurt the mileage too bad and they are quiet.

bvibert

Staff member
I put a box on top of my gf's beetle, and we only lose maybe 1 mpg. However, the beetle has odd aerodynamics, so the effect might be lessened. We need the box for when we take the dog or another person w us. I also have a set of racks but never use them anymore, unless I need the box and the racks together for a longer trip.

A ski box, or a shorter cargo box? Do you have any pictures?

〽❄❅

Itchy right foot, prefer inconspicuous, tossed in trunk pass thru split fold down ...butt nice box trumps sweet rack any day of the week but Sunday;)

Puck it

What kind of rack? Is it one that attaches to a receiver hitch?

Ever had any issues with road debris?

They are inside. Rear seats go down and I attached a 2X4 covered in black foam pipe insulation to the rear seat latches. It is bolted into place with bolt, washers and wing nuts. Comes in and out in seconds. Skis rest on the 2x4 just behind the toe and are secured down with small bungee cords.

ceo

Currently, skis go in the back of the Subie wagon. When I start my younger son skiing, I'll have to get a rack, as I won't be able to fold the other side of the back seat down anymore.

Growing up we had the 6 of us stuffed into the big old Impala wagon (named the Leviathan, I think by me) and all of our skis on the roof. My mother had made binding covers for them, and a standard part of our ski day was wiping down the skis and waxing the edges when we got home.

dartmouth01

Relatively speaking, it looks better than the bug itself. Does get positive comments from other skiers. The rear hatch wont be able to open all the way, because youll want to push the box all the way back. But it opens enough to get stuff out. I would prefer not to drive it to go ski, but my car is a silverado 2500HD diesel, and it's definitely not as Eco friendly.

Does it look okay? My wife has a beetle. We just got the cross bars for it. I didn't even consider putting a box up there.

dartmouth01

Also, coming back from gunstock on sun, I saw a car w racks attached to factory rails on an suv, but such that the skis were 90 degrees from what they are normal (front to back). Cost cutting measure I suppose, since he was missing cross rails.