• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Telemarking

awf170

How hard is it to pick up? About how good are you at it after one day? 5 days?

Pretty much just looking for any info about it, think im going to try next season. Do i need a lesson?

awf170

highpeaksdrifter said:
awf170 said:
. Do i need a lesson?

Lesson? U don't need no stinkin lesson. Why would you think u need someone who knows what he is doing show you how to do something that you don't?

Exactly, the internet can provide everything i ever needed to know about telemarking :wink:
What ski areas have tele lessons though?

highpeaksdrifter

awf170 said:
highpeaksdrifter said:
awf170 said:
. Do i need a lesson?

Lesson? U don't need no stinkin lesson. Why would you think u need someone who knows what he is doing show you how to do something that you don't?

Exactly, the internet can provide everything i ever needed to know about telemarking :wink:
What ski areas have tele lessons though?

Hey, that's a good question. I assumed Whiteface did, but I just looked it up and they don't. I'm sure someone here can hook u up. Good luck.

awf170

riverc0il said:
mrg and wildcat do tele i believe, mrg definitely at the least. probably any place that hosts NATO gatherings are good places to start.

thats awsome that wildcat does, thats where i was going to try there anyway, but i just didnt think they would have lessons. I wonder if they rent there too?

awf170

wow i should of just checked wildcats website before asking all of these dumb questions :dunce:
i can rent there and get a first timer lesson for $65. Comes with a lift ticket, i wonder if i can get a discount because i already have a pass.

sledhaulingmedic

I got a very good tele lesson at Why-choose-it a couple years ago. There are lots of places that have some instructors that Tele and that's fine for an introduction.

The first couple times, you might do just as well with a place with lots of mellow groom slopes so you can concentrate on the technique.

You get on tele and you can figure out how to parallel on the pretty quick. The tele turns takes a bit of practice to make habit, and as you get onto steeper terrain, you tend to revert to parallel.

I got on Tele skis about 12 times last season and really enjoy it (despite the fact that I still suck at it.) I really enjoy hitting Stratton on Tele. It becomes very challenging :)

Edit: You can also rent from REI and probably quite a few other places besides at the hill.

dmc

Just about everyone I tele with learned from friends...
I've been learning from friends as well as hitting the NATO Telefest for lessons...

It's become a mellow adiction... Got new boots last year - New some new skis...

ga2ski

I have said all this ina any earlier post but can't find it.

I suggest going to one of NE telefests
Here is the link: http://www.netelemark.com/front.htm
Here is a great tele video from NET: http://homepage.mac.com/netelemark/iMovieTheater15.html

Also other great info can be found at:http://www.telemarktips.com/ Great info, forum, and videos.

I bought most of my gear at http://www.telemarkdown.com/

Also i highly recommend this book:
1560448512.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,32,-59_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

smootharc

Hey, Awf....

....please don't lie to us all. You don't care about telemarking, you just want to pick up Tele-chicks...

Jeez....I thought we were your friends.... :beer:

sledhaulingmedic

Last trip to MRG I noted many "Yummy Tele-mummys". Probably not what awf had in mind. Although one man's Yummy tele-mummy is another's Tele-MILF