• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Telemarking

NYDrew

I just tele'ed for the first time the other day. No question about it, it is the best way to go down the hill.

Alpine turns - Simple, even on the most wicked terrain

Tele-Turns - I definately started to get them down. Not to bad to do it, just takes some fears to conquer, usually my heel going up is prelude to face plant. Still ahve trouble flexing my downhill leg.

Skiing Tele is like joining a secret society. One minute your falling on your butt doing tele turns, the next some other tele skiier is applauding your effort from the lift. He later became my instructor for a half hour, quick talk through on the lift, one quick run down to demonstrate and correct and I had it down..didn't cost me anything cause anyone I asked was willing to let me follow close behind so I could mimick, or just gave me a free quickie lesson.

Oh and those Ice encrusted frozen Tele skiier bearded faces suddenly give you a little nod as a hello. Seirously, is it some secret society and I just got inducted without knowing, it sure as hell seemed that way.

Snowboarding Chicks rock, i just wish I could park ski, cause when it comes to real dominance on the mountain, the snowbunnies cant even get close enough to watch

redalienx11

Website
www.alaskamountainguides.com
I found that without a lesson, I was proficient enought to tackle some diamonds at whiteface (ater about 2-3 hours on them).

I think one thing alot of people don't realize is that if you find yourself in a mess, you are easily able to rely on your "regular turns" (paralell). Dropping the knee is not necessary- its just more fun, athletic, and natural.

Defintely rent some gear and hit the slopes- you won't regret it. (And the tele-chick thing....its true)

skiguy

dmc said:
Just about everyone I tele with learned from friends...
I've been learning from friends as well as hitting the NATO Telefest for lessons...
You don't need friends to learn to ski tele. However, experience with X-C would help. I picked it up in Utah after extensive experience with X-C and Alpine.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
One time I broke a binding and looked like a telemark skier for one turn. And then I ate it.

Killington has telemark lessons for sure. I rode up in the gondi once with a group of them. I bet a lot of big ski areas have them.

Bosefius

Yeah, there are a lot of resorts with lessons now. But as stated above, the NATO events would probably be my recommendation of where to look.

As for Tele-Chicks. I don't know if it's them, the fact that their on tele's, or a combo of the two, but I've never scene one I didn't find attractive.

skiguy

NYDrew said:
I just tele'ed for the first time the other day. No question about it, it is the best way to go down the hill.
I don't want to spend a lot of time on this as it seems an endless argument on these forums. However, Tele's advantage over other methods of going downhill would be that with the same equipment it is the best way combine cross country with downhill. Otherwise, taboggening is the best way to go downhill. You don't need a lot of expensive equipment, either. In fact, I'ld stay away from websites like Telemarktips which hype the sport and push a lot of new equipment.
Bosefius said:
Yeah, there are a lot of resorts with lessons now. But as stated above, the NATO events would probably be my recommendation of where to look.

As for Tele-Chicks. I don't know if it's them, the fact that their on tele's, or a combo of the two, but I've never scene one I didn't find attractive.
What a scene!!! I certainly have meet some that weren't. Since I was tele-skiing when it was rarely scene in the East, any gal with a 3-pin binding would wind up sitting next to me in the Lodge. Yhuuuuukkk. If you are looking for pin-up photos, don't go to T-tips for them, either. You don't need to go to the NATO events either. I never did. Just watch the way the teleskiers do it on your favorite mountain. Every ski area, now, seems to have a teleskiing element.

awf170

skiguy said:
NYDrew said:
I don't want to spend a lot of time on this as it seems an endless argument on these forums. However, Tele's advantage over other methods of going downhill would be that with the same equipment it is the best way combine cross country with downhill. Otherwise, taboggening is the best way to go downhill. You don't need a lot of expensive equipment, either. In fact, I'ld stay away from websites like Telemarktips which hype the sport and push a lot of new equipment.
Bosefius said:

What a scene!!! I certainly have meet some that weren't. Since I was tele-skiing when it was rarely scene in the East, any gal with a 3-pin binding would wind up sitting next to me in the Lodge. Yhuuuuukkk. If you are looking for pin-up photos, don't go to T-tips for them, either. You don't need to go to the NATO events either. I never did. Just watch the way the teleskiers do it on your favorite mountain. Every ski area, now, seems to have a teleskiing element.

beswift?

smootharc

That's it...better lock this down now....

....before I start throwing my .02 in on "Tele-milf-mummies", and get myself in all kinds of trouble, as my wife may have spyware on my computer, and my inability to show maturity and restraint when the lunch room banter starts will end me up, like usual, in the principals office (insert image of Mrs. Trunchbull from "Matilda" here).....and I'm trying to mend my ways....and then a photo of Ms. Rigby appears, and trouble is now only a few keystrokes away....

:lol: :dunce:

P.S.: MRG two weekends ago I was tossing my gear in the vehicle, and next door was a definite telechick, in a pickup, who probably had a dog named Trevor, who was flush with a day's skiing the Glen, probably 12 laps on the Single. Before she could offer to cook me breakfast, I told her I was old, and taken, and to not even think about it, and she just looked crestfallen. Had a tiny Tele-tear at the edge of her eyes. Oh, the bondage of being an aging ski-lothario. I'm off to my shrink now....or am I perhaps dreaming....

djg21

awf170 said:
How hard is it to pick up? About how good are you at it after one day? 5 days?

Pretty much just looking for any info about it, think im going to try next season. Do i need a lesson?

You should take a handful of lessons. My suggestion is to sign yourself up for a 2-day telemark clinic with NATO (http://www.telemarknato.com/). You may also wish to purchase NATO's Joy of Telemark Video.

Does it come easy? If it did, it would be called "snowboarding." But it is no more difficult to learn than alpine. Assuming you have a strong alpine background, you'll have to retrain some muscles, learn to ski a bit more centered, and learn to use your "back ski" and both edges of your skis. You likely will be able to parallel in your tele equipment instantly. After a handful of days you'll start to get it fairly well, but like anything else, there is always room for progression, and the more you ski, the better you become.

If you aren't familiar, check out http://www.telemarktips.com.

djg21

NYDrew said:

Alpine turns - Simple, even on the most wicked terrain

Tele-Turns - I definately started to get them down. Not to bad to do it, just takes some fears to conquer, usually my heel going up is prelude to face plant. Still ahve trouble flexing my downhill leg.

Skiing Tele is like joining a secret society. One minute your falling on your butt doing tele turns, the next some other tele skiier is applauding your effort from the lift. He later became my instructor for a half hour, quick talk through on the lift, one quick run down to demonstrate and correct and I had it down..didn't cost me anything cause anyone I asked was willing to let me follow close behind so I could mimick, or just gave me a free quickie lesson.

Oh and those Ice encrusted frozen Tele skiier bearded faces suddenly give you a little nod as a hello. Seirously, is it some secret society and I just got inducted without knowing, it sure as hell seemed that way.

Snowboarding Chicks rock, i just wish I could park ski, cause when it comes to real dominance on the mountain, the snowbunnies cant even get close enough to watch

You can play in the park on teles if you are so inclined. A lot of folks do.

If you are having trouble "flexing" your front leg, you are probably "fake-a-marking." In other words, you are not weighting your back ski enough, and you are doing a parallel turn with all your front ski forward. You need to practice weighting, steering and edging with your back foot. Go and do turns on groomer without switching your lead foot (pretend that you're on a snowboard). Think about using your backfoot to steer, and articulate at the ankel. These turns are great in tight trees and bumps when you don't have time to switch lead skis.

mergs

Re: Hey, Awf....

yeah, take some lessons... from this gal:

F_05.jpg

skiguy

TelemarkTalk

You should realize that most tele skiers live out west. It's actually much more fun to tele out there as you can access all sorts of untracked deep powder that way. In the East, you are facing a different ball of wax. I haven't skinned up and tele'ld down anywhere but Co. I find that my Alpine equipment serves me better than tele back east. T-talk consists of a lot of westerners (Ca., Co. and the Northwest) who hype the sport to the summits. However, skiing Tele on our hardpack, ice and boilerplate requires different skills and equipment. It also requires much more physical conditioning and ability. You're not going to learn the technique by sitting at a computer and reading. Don't get caught up in all the hype before you take a lesson or rent some equipment. It can be extremely expensive. I didn't buy a set of skins until I had been living in a Co. ski town for a few months. I only used them once, too. Once I returned to the East, I never found the occasion to use them. I practically gave them away. Eventually, I sold all my tele equipment for pennies on the dollar. This season I started in again at it, but only with a return trip to the Rockies in mind.

skidmarks

Tele Tuesdays at Pico is a great deal. I'm also hosting a learn to Tele Day at Springfield Ski Club (Blandford Mass) on 1/29/06 but they won't let me post it

dmc

Re: TelemarkTalk

skiguy said:
I didn't buy a set of skins until I had been living in a Co. ski town for a few months. I only used them once, too. Once I returned to the East, I never found the occasion to use them. I practically gave them away.

What??!?! We skin all the time into the woods... Set some great skintracks on my Splitboard... Lots of my friends telemark and skin... We skin locally and up at Mt Washington(Tucks,GOS)...
We even skin up the ski area I live at to keep in hsape before the hill opens...

As soon as we get a little more base we'll be skining all the time...

freeheelwilly

Re: TelemarkTalk

dmc said:
skiguy said:
I didn't buy a set of skins until I had been living in a Co. ski town for a few months. I only used them once, too. Once I returned to the East, I never found the occasion to use them. I practically gave them away.

What??!?! We skin all the time into the woods... Set some great skintracks on my Splitboard... Lots of my friends telemark and skin... We skin locally and up at Mt Washington(Tucks,GOS)...
We even skin up the ski area I live at to keep in hsape before the hill opens...

As soon as we get a little more base we'll be skining all the time...

I thought the same thing when I read that post. (His earlier one had me scratchin' my head too.) My skins get plenty of use out here. I strongly urge all to disregard that post - it's simply not true. Unless you carry your skis on your back or behind you in a polk how in the hell are you gonna get up the mountains to access the goods (of which there are plenty)? It's often too steep for kick wax or the temps are to warm (unless you use klister. Yuck!). Plus, I don't like muckin' up my bases with too much kick wax. Especially anything softer than green. I'd rather just put the skins on and get up there with nice clean bases.

skiguy

Skinning.

You guys slay me. All it takes is three days of aggressive driving and you can be in Colorado. I find it rather odd that so many are dedicated to staying in the East during what amounts to another mediocre year of skiing. Of course you can skin in the woods here, but you don't know the real thrill of it until you open your horizons. Hazards like hard crust disappear. Its all about access, too. I moved out of the mountains and that ruined my access. Besides ignoring that, Tele skiing demands a dedication that regular alpine doesn't. You won't enjoy it unless you are doing it often. When it comes to lift service skiing, alpine (if you have the skill) remains easier, faster and more fun IMHO. If you think that isn't true, then I doubt if you know anything about skiing in general. What's true for me isn't going to be true for every skier nor obviously was it true for you. I suspect that all these guys who are so dedicated to Tele in the East are people who went out and spent a fortune on specialized equipment. They have to get their money's worth out of it, but they could be having more fun with Alpine equipment if they owned it.

dmc

Re: Skinning.

skiguy said:
You guys slay me. All it takes is three days of aggressive driving and you can be in Colorado. I find it rather odd that so many are dedicated to staying in the East during what amounts to another mediocre year of skiing. Of course you can skin in the woods here, but you don't know the real thrill of it until you open your horizons. Hazards like hard crust disappear. Its all about access, too. I moved out of the mountains and that ruined my access. Right now, though, I'm sorely tempted to drive back to Co. and skip the East again.

I here it's really good out west... Maybe I'll go someday.. Never been out of New England... But I'd have to quit my new job to get out there... And raise a bunch of cash... Maybe move out of my mom's "car hole"...

I guess I'll just never know the real thrills of Co..