• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Waterville Vally sold?

sull1102

It's still there, but any relationship between WV and Booth is nonexistent according to the site.

AdironRider

Ive always kinda liked Waterville. I had the threedom pass to Loon, Waterville and Cranmore and liked Waterville the best of the three.

I enjoy it for what it is. Solid blue groomer terrain. Couple good shots. I think its one of the better places to really let em rip, wide open runs. True Grit on a good day is the closest thing to letting em fly like out west. I guess unless you time Tucks at the perfect time, but Ive yet to do so.

I really dont care I cant get to the summit all that easily. The terrain is boring, and you'd have that masive open, flat area to deal with anyway afterwards.

The expansions sound rad.

deadheadskier

Staff member

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It's time to start wildly speculating what the new owners have in mind for the place.

"...bring back major world class events" Chris Sununu says....

I for one would love to see some world-class competition in our backyard.

Black Phantom

It's time to start wildly speculating what the new owners have in mind for the place.

"...bring back major world class events" Chris Sununu says....

I for one would love to see some world-class competition in our backyard.

Right on billski. World Cup at WV was a blast. Talk about bringing energy to a ski area.

The Sununu's have always been a family steeped in skiing.

Congrats to them! :fangun::fangun::fangun:

Black Phantom

"Sono una bestia!"

If done right, it can bring energy to the whole region. Get a whole bunch of tourons to come and watch. Inspire a whole new generation of skiers and boarders.

True. I was specifically referring to the buzz that is/was generated by the arrival of the WC to WV. The entire village was aglow with the athletes and their entourage as well as visitors.

Do you recall the days when the big guns would dominate World Cup at WV?

BE072700.jpg

CollegeKid

It will be interesting to see if snowmaking can make a rebound at Waterville Valley. Before they focus on hosting big events, I think they should focus energy on the many capital improvements the resort is in desperate need of at this time. It will definitely benefit Waterville to be under new local ownership. The Sununu's are stand-up individuals who I believe will make the right decisions for the resort moving forward.

Just curious, does anyone know why they did not keep Tom Day, the former general manager as the gm? I don't know much about him other than that he worked his way up in the company. It was not exactly his fault Booth Creek could not and/or would not invest. Did they just want to bring in a guy they already knew?

ichn2go

It will be interesting to see if snowmaking can make a rebound at Waterville Valley. Before they focus on hosting big events, I think they should focus energy on the many capital improvements the resort is in desperate need of at this time. It will definitely benefit Waterville to be under new local ownership. The Sununu's are stand-up individuals who I believe will make the right decisions for the resort moving forward.

Just curious, does anyone know why they did not keep Tom Day, the former general manager as the gm? I don't know much about him other than that he worked his way up in the company. It was not exactly his fault Booth Creek could not and/or would not invest. Did they just want to bring in a guy they already knew?

Usually when one company buys another, the top guy goes first just because and then it's just a wait and see attitude on the rest of the management...With ski season just around the corner it wouldn't make sense to get rid of people now...I would think by spring their team will be in place...

CTNoob

I've skied there a few times and I agree with others who say it needs more terrain. It's a pretty area, but you look across at it from the Tripyramids and you can see how little of the mountain actually has trails.

I wonder how much expansion is really possible there. I think I read that 85% of the land in the valley is developed - not much room to grow unless they build condos slopeside. That's tough to do on WMNF land I'd bet.

sull1102

The Valley itself doesn't need any more condos or lodging thats for sure. My parents owned a condo in the Golden Eagle Lodge, the second or third most expensive hotel in the valley and more often than not it went unrented, even in the winter months. The main crowd that would rent would be hockey people for all the tournaments the rink has. After a couple years we sold the place because it felt like WV wasn't going anywhere anytime soon, Booth Creek SUCKED for the town and hill.

Last edited:

Puck it

I read that they also want to put a lift in from the village along with the expansion plans. That would be nice for the hotels. It would a 2400 vertical drop too. The most in NH.

CollegeKid

I read that they also want to put a lift in from the village along with the expansion plans. That would be nice for the hotels. It would a 2400 vertical drop too. The most in NH.

It could also be used very positively from a marketing standpoint that finally there is investment into Waterville Valley! Along with improving the lodge and other facilities, it could get more people to give Waterville a try and realize there has been significant improvement. Overall, not a bad strategy.

SLyardsale

Angus

According to Ski Area Management magazine Bob Fries will be heading things at Waterville. Bob Aston will be running the show at Ragged now. Don't know who Tom Fries is.

Fries's career began in 1973 at Waterville Valley - controller followed by general manager - under then-owner Tom Corcoran. His résumé includes being president of southern Vermont's Stratton, president of the Olympic Regional Development Authority in Lake Placid, N.Y., and general manager of Colorado's Breckenridge Resort. Before Ragged, the skiing and snowboarding executive was co-owner and president of northern Vermont's Bolton Valley Resort.

source: http://www.boston.com/sports/other_...009/02/19/straightforward_planning_at_ragged/

I've met him at the ski show before and seems like a very nice guy - although he'd never fork over any discount tixs for Ragged! Bob, can you set us up with any tixs now?