• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to go & when...spare no expense

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Not sure you followed what I wrote. See my edit. Or maybe I am not following you?
Gotcha now. Yup. Kinda a problem everywhere. I'm sure there are some individuals who are great at taking the narrow focus out there, but there are in short supply.

The thing here is I've already spent the money (around 1.5 mil so far). There will be some follow up next year (< 300K) and the year after.

Of course when they come up with the next technology...In all honesty (get it), I know I'd make the right decision. On this years project, it came down to two vendors. One NJ based, just a few towns over from me and one based out of Toronto. Initially, I had every intention of going with the NJ based company. I was more familiar with their work and I knew how their product worked already. A co-worker highly suggested I evaluate the product from the Toronto based company. It turned out to be a much better hardware design, and easier to implement. Torn between the decision to keep the $$$ in the local economy or go with the better hardware, I chose the latter. Would I do the same post-ski trip. You bet.

Based on the last 10 years of experience, I find that my company's HR people are full of lazy ass people, who will just print me out the policy and tell me to read it over. You are correct however. They should interpret the rules and make a decision if or how they apply to my situation. I think my HR department has lost the ability to look at an individual situation anymore. The company has grown so large, while their department has downsized. I'll run it past my old boss, and if he receives the idea well, then I'll run it past my current boss for approval.

tell HR its an important, multi-faceted and dynamic relationship building retreat and, if you've got an entertainment budget, buy them some rounds and expense it...you're building rapport and an open line of communication that will result in future win-win negotiations and a successful, revenue generating partnership.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
tell HR its an important, multi-faceted and dynamic relationship building retreat and, if you've got an entertainment budget, buy them some rounds and expense it...you're building rapport and an open line of communication that will result in future win-win negotiations and a successful, revenue generating partnership.
I have no budget. The other company wants to take me, and their HR already signed off on it. Now if I could get their HR to talk with my HR....:roll:

drjeff

If they're from Canada, and not adverse to it I'd also through Tremblant into the mix or even Mount St. Anne and all that Quebec City has to offer not to far down the road.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Thanks everyone. I need to float this idea around some people at work to see if it's even a good idea. Updates to follow.

tarponhead

Yep, also Your looking to improve the first mover advantage status, which may lead to increased holistic understanding thus may become a lovebrand between your two entities. Ultimately, your goal is to ladder up to a higher order brand ideal and through the synergistic use of strategic thrusts the must win battles will be won and upper management will readily embrace the helicopter view.

Stowe rocks, hope you get there.

trtaylor

Yep, also Your looking to improve the first mover advantage status, which may lead to increased holistic understanding thus may become a lovebrand between your two entities. Ultimately, your goal is to ladder up to a higher order brand ideal and through the synergistic use of strategic thrusts the must win battles will be won and upper management will readily embrace the helicopter view.

Tarponhead FTW!

I can tell you've paid attention during all the company brainwash...err, training.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com

Stowe rocks, hope you get there.
Uh...ok I didn't pay attention during the management brainwashing sessions. I was too busy reading TR's on AZ with my crackberry. I'm gonna need some definitions.:spin:

first mover advantage status -
holistic understanding -
become a lovebrand -
ladder up to a higher order brand ideal -
strategic thrusts -
must win battles -
helicopter view -

Glenn

A really tough call. We usually handle these on a case by case basis. Our HR department is two people....myself and my boss. We can usually hammer these things out pretty quickly, or run them up the todem pole if need be.

The problem with policies, much like laws is how they're interpreted. We've got a conflict of interest policy and a code of conduct policy that lays things like that out. Our policy states that if employees receive more than a $200 gift, it needs to be reported. On the surface, this trip would have to be reported.

Root, I'd run this buy your boss or a few management types in the department. Not to take the classice HR/Pass the buck/I'll give you a gray area answer that won't tell you yes...no...or even maybe, but it's a tough one to call. On one hand, you're getting a pretty good benefit from a supplier. On the other, if you guys have an established relationship, and they're not in a bidding position, then is it really a big deal?

SKIQUATTRO

tell them that East Coast skiing is closed all winter and a trip to the Rockies is mandated.....

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Root, I'd run this buy your boss or a few management types in the department. Not to take the classice HR/Pass the buck/I'll give you a gray area answer that won't tell you yes...no...or even maybe, but it's a tough one to call. On one hand, you're getting a pretty good benefit from a supplier. On the other, if you guys have an established relationship, and they're not in a bidding position, then is it really a big deal?

I'll run this past my old boss, he's been with the company for 37 years, and is partially responsible for my cynical views on our HR ineffectiveness. We don't really put things out for "bid" unless specifically requested. We do more of a functionality vs cost analysis when making decisions on large projects, however I often am the person who makes the "recomended solution"

What do you think about me going "dutch"? Does that help offset anything?

Glenn

That may help since you're paying for part of the expense. Would you put the lift tix on a company card?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
That may help since you're paying for part of the expense. Would you put the lift tix on a company card?
My company credit card got revoked. Appearently, even if you don't use a company card during the month, the company has a policy that says you're still required to submit a monthly purchase statement vs. recepit reconciliation :angry:. Duh.

Even if I had a company card, I would put the lift tickets on my card, and not attempt to exepense it. I was just IMing with my old boss. He's in town and I'm going to buy him a beer after work and get his take on this. More to come.

Glenn

My company credit card got revoked. Appearently, even if you don't use a company card during the month, the company has a policy that says you're still required to submit a monthly purchase statement vs. recepit reconciliation :angry:. Duh.

Even if I had a company card, I would put the lift tickets on my card, and not attempt to exepense it. I was just IMing with my old boss. He's in town and I'm going to buy him a beer after work and get his take on this. More to come.

Excellent. This is a good one to hash out over beers.

Company cards are fun, aren't they? Ours are tied to our own social and own credit score. :roll:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Excellent. This is a good one to hash out over beers.

Company cards are fun, aren't they? Ours are tied to our own social and own credit score. :roll:
I'm actually glad it got taken away. So much paperwork and approvals, and none of it is automated or online. It's all excel, print, sign, tape receipts to paper...I don't miss that one bit.

Beers are alway a good thing, especially when someone has helped out your career :beer:

Glenn

I'm actually glad it got taken away. So much paperwork and approvals, and none of it is automated or online. It's all excel, print, sign, tape receipts to paper...I don't miss that one bit.

Beers are alway a good thing, especially when someone has helped out your career :beer:

How'd it go Root? :beer:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
How'd it go Root? :beer:
Complicated. Too many beers last night, both at the bar, and watching the Yankees win the World Series for the 27th time:flag:

Basically, he thinks I've interpreted our policies correctly. He thinks that the offer of an "all expenses paid" trip is a little shady for them to offer, because they are well aware of our policies. To take them up on thier offer, I need to make a request into HR, copy the VP of Engineering, and request that HR run the idea through Corporate Legal. I generally work very hard to keep my name off emails that involve HR and/or Legal, so that's not going to happen.

Paying my own way is the only other way to legitimize this trip, unless they offer other employees in my work-group to go on the trip (very few people in my company ski, even less go on ski vacations).

I'm going to have a talk with them and let them know that I while I'm appreciative of their offer, I can't take them up on it. But, if they let me know when they will be going to Stowe (;)) I'll request some time off, but I'll need to get my own accommodations, tickets, meals etc..

trtaylor

Complicated. Too many beers last night, both at the bar, and watching the Yankees win the World Series for the 27th time:flag:

Basically, he thinks I've interpreted our policies correctly. He thinks that the offer of an "all expenses paid" trip is a little shady for them to offer, because they are well aware of our policies. To take them up on thier offer, I need to make a request into HR, copy the VP of Engineering, and request that HR run the idea through Corporate Legal. I generally work very hard to keep my name off emails that involve HR and/or Legal, so that's not going to happen.

Paying my own way is the only other way to legitimize this trip, unless they offer other employees in my work-group to go on the trip (very few people in my company ski, even less go on ski vacations).

I'm going to have a talk with them and let them know that I while I'm appreciative of their offer, I can't take them up on it. But, if they let me know when they will be going to Stowe (;)) I'll request some time off, but I'll need to get my own accommodations, tickets, meals etc..
Sounds like you had a great boss. A rare treat.

Thanks for your original post. I'll remember it if I am ever confronted with a similar situation.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Sounds like you had a great boss. A rare treat.

Thanks for your original post. I'll remember it if I am ever confronted with a similar situation.
He was, and tough as nails to work for but always tried to add a layer of fun into the work. I always knew where I stood with him and I learned a lot from him as well.

Even though we work in different departments now, I'm really glad that we can still get together for a few beers after work and shoot the shit.