• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So where do you ..gravitate to

kingslug

With the season slowly winding down I still find myself gravitating to the same kinds of runs. Things change through the years, and for some their tastes may change. Fast groomers, wall to wall moguls, trees, etc. I've always went for what I call the banged up runs. I like the stuff with vegetables and minerals, shrubs poking through, off camber double fall line, some rocks, bumps, meanders all over the place. A great example is Old Superstar at K or Goat at Stowe, The Jug at K. I don't want to see the lodge, the lifts, you know, civilization. Hate manicured runs, all natural where no groomer has ever touched is the best. These runs attract less traffic usually due to a sporty entrance. High Rustler at Alta has a bony entrance at the top, but at Alta ...those people love that stuff.
Thoughts...

SkiFanE

We need to ski together lol. Same as you. Only been to MRG once but it was the perfect spring weekday. And I think that is "my" place. Sad I have only been once tho. I do love spring skiing and mashed potatoes. I usually get to K at end of year - superstar and bittersweet etc are a blast. I generally head for non groomed. If it's a boilerplate day and I need sharp edges and can't get into woods - sometimes I'll quit early - too boring and dangerous (not dangerous but I don't love speed and would be most pissed if I got injured on a day I didn't like anyway).

ironhippy

As long as there is soft snow, I spend almost all my time on ungroomed terrain.
I favor woods runs, but don't really care too much. The fewer crowds, the better.

I'll easily lap the same few trails if I can find empty lift lines and good snow.

I should get a pair of carving/racing skis so I can enjoy hardpacked groomed runs more. I like to turn.

Smellytele

I love skiing around obstacles be it rock, dirt, shrubbery, trees, bumps and grass. Groomers are fine early season, powder brings a smile to my face but obstacles are my favorite.

John9

I'm in the minority here. I'm a front side speed freak. A few big sweeping turns, following the fall line. The feeling of effortless power and control, I miss it already, the rain has set in.

bdfreetuna

I love skiing around obstacles be it rock, dirt, shrubbery, trees, bumps and grass. Groomers are fine early season, powder brings a smile to my face but obstacles are my favorite.

Big fan of skiing trails & woods in the spring that should borderline be closed due to obstacles. Or when most of the trail/wood entrance is melted away making for a tricky approach. Plus the corn snow which makes navigating technical terrain just really easy and fun.

shwilly

I gravitate to wherever the seats on the bubble lift are heated and the lodge has the sense of elegance and luxury to which I've become accustomed. Also, it's important that other skiers keep up with trends in equipment and outerwear. There's nothing worse than seeing some bum in work gloves and a T-shirt bombing trails on last year's skis.

Just kidding. I love whatever natural stuff, trees most of all but also ungroomed trails. I also like when snow gets drifted to one side of a trail so you can get leftovers days after snowfall.

For the rest of this year I'll be happy looking for whatever gets bumped up. I'll also gravitate to runs (and decks) that are sunny.

boston_e

I like it all. Groomers, naturals, trees, powder, bump runs. My favorite I’d say is naturals on good snow days where there is a lot of interesting terrain (little drops, varying pitch, varying fall lines, bumps, trees, chutes etc etc).

Hawk

With the season slowly winding down I still find myself gravitating to the same kinds of runs. Things change through the years, and for some their tastes may change. Fast groomers, wall to wall moguls, trees, etc. I've always went for what I call the banged up runs. I like the stuff with vegetables and minerals, shrubs poking through, off camber double fall line, some rocks, bumps, meanders all over the place. A great example is Old Superstar at K or Goat at Stowe, The Jug at K. I don't want to see the lodge, the lifts, you know, civilization. Hate manicured runs, all natural where no groomer has ever touched is the best. These runs attract less traffic usually due to a sporty entrance. High Rustler at Alta has a bony entrance at the top, but at Alta ...those people love that stuff.
Thoughts...
That in a nutshell is why I ski Sugarbush and made it my mountain. I left Sunday River after 17 years because I was chasing this.

cdskier

Big fan of skiing trails & woods in the spring that should borderline be closed due to obstacles. Or when most of the trail/wood entrance is melted away making for a tricky approach. Plus the corn snow which makes navigating technical terrain just really easy and fun.

For some odd reason I really love this too...

Generally speaking I gravitate towards what is skiing well that day. If things haven't softened up, I'll stick more to groomed terrain and am content doing that for a bit. If things are soft (or powdery or mid-winter-like), then I prefer natural terrain with a groomer only mixed in to cool down or relax for a run.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thoughts...
You just basically described half the terrain at Wildcat. Probably the most natural of the major ski areas in New England save for Magic and MRG. Only Cat has a less than 7 minute HSQ to access their 2100 vertical

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

As the season winds down, especially before late season with limited terrain arrives, I try and do as much of everything that I likely won't be able to find once it's melted down to just a few core trails, to get that experience a few more times before it's just late season corn on a firm manmade base that becomes bumps quickly and/or non stop bumps. Sometimes that may mean some trees, sometimes it might be a favorite run that I know is just about done for the season, sometimes it's just a feeling that I get either that day, or even that run down the mountain.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
My preferences, in order...

Woods
Bumps on snowmaking trails (if it's a spring day)
Natural trails/bumps (if it's a mid-winter day)
Groomers...generally low-angle as well. Not really a fan of carving crazy steep stuff (ex- Cascade at Killington, a lot of the front diamonds at Jiminy Peak), I find it hard to control my speed without skidding. I'm a carve-addict.

KustyTheKlown

agreed that groomers are for nothing more than early season and getting back to the lift, and that stumps/rocks/grass/exposed ground is fun and what gives eastern skiing its unique charm. I am busting the rock skis out for the rest of the season and im gonna get dirty out there.

Domeskier

I seek out bumps in that sweet zone right after they've thawed but before they turn to mash. But I will ski them in any condition except rock-hard, refrozen piles of slush.

kingslug

Sugarbush ...castlrock..most iconic natural peak. Ive only been up there a few times and it was always an obstacle fest. Niw that im up there all the time..guess ill be checking it out more..Took me 22 years to become a regular up north but its never to late..

kingslug

We need to ski together lol. Same as you. Only been to MRG once but it was the perfect spring weekday. And I think that is "my" place. Sad I have only been once tho. I do love spring skiing and mashed potatoes. I usually get to K at end of year - superstar and bittersweet etc are a blast. I generally head for non groomed. If it's a boilerplate day and I need sharp edges and can't get into woods - sometimes I'll quit early - too boring and dangerous (not dangerous but I don't love speed and would be most pissed if I got injured on a day I didn't like anyway).

I always post where ill be if anyone ever wants to meander around with a slug..a speedy slug though..

Scruffy

Where ever on the mountain I'm skiing there is a technical skiing challenge is where I prefer to be; woods, bumps, natural ungroomed snow, steeps, interesting terrain obstacles, etc.. I don't particularly like lapping groomers, but if that's all the mountain has to offer and there's not enough natural snow for off piste or backcountry skiing, I'll work on my form and do drills that make be a better skier when the goods arrive.