• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Sky to Get New Lift; Sunday River to Get "Sort of" New Lift

thetrailboss

Staff member
On Friday, Lift Blog reported that Big Sky announced the replacement of their Swift Current HSQ with a brand new Doppelmayr Bubble Six Pack. The HSQ was built in 1996. The article concludes that officials reported that the Swift Current will go to Salt Lake City "for refurbishment and re-installation at another Boyne resort in 2021." Two separate commentators after said that the word is that the lift will be installed as the replacement for White Cap Quad.

Anyone else hear that? Thoughts?

Folks will also see that several others expressed disappointment that Big Sky is getting the new toys while Boyne's East Coast resorts are not getting the love. That said, Loon is slated for a new Kanc lift I believe.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't think it's that big of a deal White Cap is getting a refurb lift. If it were Barker, I'd think differently.

I read the other day that Loons 8 pack (and Watervilles new chair) are both postponed until 2021. Something to do with the USFS holding up the projects.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't think it's that big of a deal White Cap is getting a refurb lift. If it were Barker, I'd think differently.

I read the other day that Loons 8 pack (and Watervilles new chair) are both postponed until 2021. Something to do with the USFS holding up the projects.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Oh that's right. Loon is getting an 8-pack.

skicub

Big Sky to Get New Lift; Sunday River to Get "Sort of" New Lift

I predict this will be huge for SR!

While a replacement for Barker is essential and fast becoming a liability, a HSQ on white cap will essentially negate the biggest downside to white cap, getting out of WC basin in a hurry.

The current white cap quad is at least a 10 minute ride, and when you are trying to get back to South Ridge in a hurry, it’s just not possible with the current Yan. As someone who is always trying to get in “one more run” before I link up with family, this is a game changer. Some may decry that this makes White cap more likely to get skiied off faster, but most of the terrain off this lift is accessible from barker anyways, so that’s mostly moot. This will also allow better flow out of WC on busy days, and gives me a much better option for a place to base myself on busy days. I think White Cap is the most underrated trail pod, and when you consider all three trail pods together, white cap alone could rival some full resorts (Ragged or Sunapee for example). This also means that skiing out from the Summit lodge could get you to South Ridge in about 10 minutes door to door (almost a 20 minute trip now). The only big downside to this will be the potential for wind holds and icing, now that it will be detachable and HSQ.

As I said before, this will be a game changer, but does not make up for any of the lift replacement woes looming for Barker quad, south ridge express, or other older lifts.

SkiCubby : The original opera singing Skibear
andypapas.com

Last edited:

Newpylong

White Cap/Tempest quad is a good fit to replace with HSQ - that base area is sorely underutilized due to the lift system on White Cap, putting the condition of the lodge aside.

thetrailboss

Staff member
White Cap/Tempest quad is a good fit to replace with HSQ - that base area is sorely underutilized due to the lift system on White Cap, putting the condition of the lodge aside.

Agreed. Again, LiftBlog just reported that it is "going to a Boyne Resort." Two separate folks (apparently with knowledge) said it is slated to go to Sunday River. It does seem that Barker is in sore need of replacement.

Anyone hear of any other changes to Sunday River? One comment said that locals are not happy. That was news to me, but I am observing from a distance.

Keelhauled

To some extent locals not being happy is a perpetual state of affairs at any mountain with more than, oh say about 250 acres

machski

So, I have not heard White Cap being replaced with the refurbed Swifty. Last I had a discussion with DB about White Cap lifts, a detach was furthest from his mind down there. That may have well changed with A. Not being a new (so cheaper to get) HSQ and B. Talk is MASR is going to be moved to White Cap base and if so, a detach is a good thing to have out of that base for the Mono-skis and other participants.

While the outside of White Cap is not a thing of beauty, Shipyard just redid their space and it looks great, great food and reasonably priced. I did not venture upstairs but my understanding is Shipyard is running the cafe at WC too and if their food last night downstairs is any indication, should be a good option this year for lunch.

This is not in lieu of a Barker replacement. A brand new chair should be there, at the latest for 2021 but it sure sounds more and more like that will happen this summer. Expect that to be a six, whether bubbles or not not sure at this point.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app