• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The importance of getting the goods when the goods are good to get

kingslug

I started the season as early as I could November 13 at K..then it snowed pretty hard the 14th so I was off to a good start. Then some days at Stowe, fast groomers over and over, which were pretty much just to get in shape. Then the Catskill storm hit and it was powder for 3 days 2 at Hunter 1 at Bell, then a Hunter manmade powder day. So far 11 days. A lot of people I talk to are pretty much just getting started now..which isn't ideal. A few I know went to Alta/Bird..tried to ski deep powder as their first days on snow and got hurt..which ended their trip as soon as it started. Getting runs in early season to me is the key to not getting hurt when things get real out there. I don't think I have ever gone out west without getting some days in here. And lapping fast groomers at wherever early season is the only way to really get in shape for the season.
Thoughts...

abc

A few I know went to Alta/Bird..tried to ski deep powder as their first days on snow and got hurt
I’m sure there’re groomers out west even on a powder day!

The northeast season is often later to start, even with man made snow, than the western mountains. While it works on a year like this year it makes sense to ski while there’s decent snow, there’s just as much danger in getting hit and gotten hurt on the WROD!

So I’m not going to go overboard either way.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I've only got 5 days so far, which is low even for me. But 2 or 3 were powder, depending on how you count.

Heading up to ski today, because that is what we do at Christmas. If I didn't have those great days in I would be kinda bummin right now.

Between work and family and driving, I do what I can.

I guess I agree.

mister moose

A few I know went to Alta/Bird..tried to ski deep powder as their first days on snow and got hurt..which ended their trip as soon as it started. ... And lapping fast groomers at wherever early season is the only way to really get in shape for the season.

Deep powder out west on day 1 for an easterner unfamiliar with local conditions, unless a skilled powder skier that keeps in good shape, does seem like asking for trouble. Getting in shape prior to any challenging exertion is common sense. Who would run a marathon with no preparation? Skiing isn't mini golf.

Bumpsis

...I Getting runs in early season to me is the key to not getting hurt when things get real out there. I don't think I have ever gone out west without getting some days in here. And lapping fast groomers at wherever early season is the only way to really get in shape for the season.
Thoughts...

I like the idea of lapping groomers as conditioning. I always run into the conditioning issue. Sure, I can (and do) prep the legs with gym sessions (squats, lunges, isometrics - the hated sitting against the wall, etc), but nothing gets you ready for skiing like skiing. Even if it's crappy out there, like icy, man made, the body just feels so much better and stronger after you put some burn into the quads skiing.
Once the quads and core are OK with with a few hours of buzzing groomers, it's so much easier to maintain ski conditioning between weekends (for me, that is) with the dry land conditioning.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I started the season as early as I could November 13 at K..then it snowed pretty hard the 14th so I was off to a good start. Then some days at Stowe, fast groomers over and over, which were pretty much just to get in shape. Then the Catskill storm hit and it was powder for 3 days 2 at Hunter 1 at Bell, then a Hunter manmade powder day. So far 11 days. A lot of people I talk to are pretty much just getting started now..which isn't ideal. A few I know went to Alta/Bird..tried to ski deep powder as their first days on snow and got hurt..which ended their trip as soon as it started. Getting runs in early season to me is the key to not getting hurt when things get real out there. I don't think I have ever gone out west without getting some days in here. And lapping fast groomers at wherever early season is the only way to really get in shape for the season.
Thoughts...

Absolutely agree. Get out and ski when you can. Don't wait for conditions because you won't be in shape and in some seasons those "awesome conditions" may not even arrive.

Scruffy

Absolutely agree. Get out and ski when you can. Don't wait for conditions because you won't be in shape and in some seasons those "awesome conditions" may not even arrive.

Agree. Not only for the conditioning, for the conditions; we will often get a Dec. dump that then gets ruined by the dreaded rain and refreeze, esp. in Vermont. So get it while it's happening if you can. I got 21 days in this season so far and I'm bummed right now because it's the holiday week and a warming trend.

kingslug

Whats even more amazing is a lot of people have no idea you can even ski in early November..or what the weather is at a given time. Like this weekend...tons going up to wherever..how many know what they might be in for? Although this upcoming week ..I don't think anyone knows.

cdskier

"Ski" November December January so you can ski February March April.

I fully agree. I'm terrible at doing much that would help me with conditioning outside of ski season, so the early season is critical to take advantage of even if the weather isn't great so that you are ready when the conditions are good. I'm up to 16 days so far. Sure there were a lot of not so good days in terms of conditions among those, but it was still good to be out there and getting the legs back into shape.

Smellytele

My wife has a hard time understanding this. Well she just says she hates skiing early season. When the skiing gets good she gets tired early even though she works out 6-7 days a week ( I don’t at all) and off season road rides 2-3 times a week ( I do ride). Ski condition is different than gym or bike condition. I have been out 10 times and have skinned about that many as well. She has been twice and skinned one. She is tired after 8 runs where I can ski open to close with one break at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JimG.

Staff member
Skiing groomers early season is nice but does nothing to increase my skiing fitness after working out all summer 4x weekly.

But that first good snow day with fresh tracks and later broken up snow does kick my ass into skiing shape. Sometimes the day after with packed powder bumps is necessary too. After that I'm good.

Edd

Thoughts...

I like paragraphs. [emoji4]

tnt1234

1) I ski as often as I can, living in NJ, work family, blah, blah... and am always happy to scratch the itch on groomers if that's what we have.

2) I have two day in so far. Which is about average.

3) I try to stay in shape year round and run for the legs,

4) day 1 was 27" at Platty. Not Alta for sure. But skied from 8:45 to 2:30. Stopped only because a buddy had to get home. Felt pretty good. What a day.

5) Tomorrow might be a 'work out'nday at blue if I can get some work done tonight.

6) Not sure why I am using a list.