• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing..helping or hurting

abc

I'm surprise to find this season is not all that different than last season. Sure I ski in the northeast instead of out west. And a lot more Nordic/bc than resort lift-served downhill. But to me, those are all fun in their own ways. When resorts are crowded, I go BC or Nordic. When Nordic and BC are crusty, I go cruise the packed powder in resort.

I'm still jaded regarding conditions and crowds. But thanks to working from home, I can ski mid-week if condition warrants. So it kind of balanced out.

The lockdown is annoying. But I cope. Skiing is one of the activity that isn't too severely impacted from my perspective.

abc

Might end up as my best season..we shall see.
For the past 10 years or so, every season had been my best, because each was better than the one before it. :)

(This year might be different, I broke my ankle 2 weeks ago -- hairline fracture. Still, there's hope I maybe able to catch some late season skiing, if it heals up per normal)

cdskier

Skiing is helping me survive. WFH at ski condo has been very unique experience.

I'll second this...wish I could get out more mid-week since I'm right here, but it is what it is. I do love not having to deal with the 5 hour drive each way every weekend and being able to get out Friday afternoons once I'm done with work (time I would usually spend driving up to VT). And Sundays are so relaxing knowing I have nowhere to go once I'm done skiing!

jimmywilson69

Ugh... Sorry to hear that. Hope the healing process goes uneventfully and comfortably!
oh no....that sux. :(
That sucks, I know how you feel as I lost most of last season after breaking my arm at Whistler. Hope the rehab goes well

Thanks for the well wishes.

Still managing pain a bit right now.

I was on pace for 70-75 visits too which would've been an all time high. Sure it's at my little place in PA but getting on Snow as often as I did this winter was really refreshing

Just need to work on getting better for cycling season now I guess!

JimG.

Staff member
Sorry to hear about the injuries. But so much better than not getting out at all.

Everyone heal quickly.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Might end up as my best season..we shall see.
Barring an unforeseen early end to the season, I will have skied more days and more vertical at a wider and better range of NE Mtns with better NE conditions than any other season. The only thing that would keep it from being my best season is if I do not get to take a trip to the Rockies this year, but with vaccination scheduled that now seems possible too.

And a big reason it is on track to be my best season is it is my second on Epic, and the first one was cut short.

jimmywilson69

bruised ribs hurt worse than broken ribs... At a minimum the pain is the same but last longer with bruised. Dealt with that playing hockey a lot when I was younger.

Surgically repaired collarbone feels pretty damn good considering in about 2 hours it will be 2 weeks since it was broken.

I definitely have bruised ribs, too as laughing, coughing, or sneezing is incredibly painful

NYDB

Skiing was helping this winter. Heading into the season I would have been happy to get 5 good days. And we got a lot more than that!. But our season is pretty much over now. I know that seems crazy to ski centric folk, but kids are back full time in school (not going to blatantly flout VT's restrictions), fall sports ( rescheduled) start in a couple weeks and eating lunch in the car is getting old for the family. Looking forward to biking and spring.

Last edited:

abc

At this point, NOT SKIING hurt the most! ;)

Before that happened, I was on track to have the best nordic season. I already skied more days than any previous seasons thanks to the flat land storms early in the season. While everyone was bitching about reservation in Hunter and the lines, I was enjoying "naturally social distant" cross country ski trails. Watching all the snow outside my window going to waste really hurts right now! :(

Downhill, not so much, mostly due to my aversion to crowds and long lift line... And nah, car as a base lodge didn't really work out too great either. The few days I had were all half days. I was putting downhill on hold till it gets warm enough to sit outside for break... until it happened. :(

Last edited:

mlkrgr

Skiing has definitely helped. Granted, I am stuck at Wawa due to logistics and the ability of syncing my schedule with my friend's but being able to get out and enjoy some skiing with 15 minute + lift lines helps me unwind from being busy with managing my business Prime Marketing Experts.