• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ungroomed Black Diamond Question

kingslug

I know one thing..the guy who went through the fence on the left side of Clairs probably has an opinion on groomed double d runs.

JoeB-Z

I did not say Tali is steep. At all. Just the bottom left. Lift 1 at Loveland to the right is steep. Pitches where a fall means to the bottom are steep.
Checking out Tali today I think I was wrong on that last pitch. Steep but you could arrest. Tali is not Pali.
I've skied Ripcord at Mt Snow with similar conditions. Should not have been open. One of the more terrifying runs I've ever taken.
Forty years ago at Killington, on Cascade or Flume, they let a snow gun run all night with no air. Then they left the run open. At that time I hit drop offs at speed. All blue ice. I said, no problem, easy turn and then think about the speed. Then I chattered out of my uphill ski (with leather leash). No problem, I made the turn left and started the next traverse. Chattered out of second ski. Leashes with skis attached mean tobogganing downhill headfirst. On my stomach sucked so I flipped over. I figured I would go into the woods and either be killed with a head impact or break my shoulder. Relaxed and made the bend somehow. Lost my wallet and keys. Over twenty serious injuries that morning including some ski patrollers. The patrol would not help me (triage) so I walked to the patrol shack. I believe this incident led to many lawsuits and the revision of ski area liability in VT. Anybody know about this incident?

raisingarizona

I know one thing..the guy who went through the fence on the left side of Clairs probably has an opinion on groomed double d runs.
We had a gal lose control on a steep groomer this season here. She hit a tree and was dead on impact.

jimk

I'd say White Nitro and Gondiline extension at Sugarloaf are fair to call double diamonds even when groomed. I see people petrified on those trails because of the pitch.

I'm not sure I agree with only a single diamond designation. A diamond like Hairball at Wildcat is an order of magnitude significantly more difficult than say Lift Lion.
First time ever at Sugarloaf was January 1997. Went with two guys for four days of skiing. We had fun and stayed on a very good deal in slopeside Grand Summit hotel. When we got there we quickly found out why the good deal - January! It was arctic weather and much of the mtn was bulletproof. We suck but can't help subjecting ourselves to advanced terrain at different ski areas. One of my buddies and I went up to White Nitro. He promptly lost his edges and slid 2/3's of the way down it on his back, spinning like a turtle, and finally coming to rest in a pile of ice shavings on the side of the trail. I skied up to him and helped collect his stuff. He was ok, but we both declared that was one of the steepest billiard tables we'd ever seen.:p

dblskifanatic

The top pitch of Tight Line on Saddleback also fits the description. Groomed and wide (by Saddleback standards), it made for some fun laps this week before the naturals softened up. There were frequently large clots of people waiting at the top, getting up their courage before heading down. Reminded me a lot of the top of Gondi Line at Sugarloaf or the steep part of White Heat at SR.

Tight Line is probably a good example! They groom it with a cornice like drop. and the top section is steepish but the whole run is easy to ski. Upper Gondi Line at Sugarloaf is the best wide open steep that I can think of and for the wrong type of skier could be heart pumping there is a lot to see in front of you!

Smellytele

Tight Line is probably a good example! They groom it with a cornice like drop. and the top section is steepish but the whole run is easy to ski. Upper Gondi Line at Sugarloaf is the best wide open steep that I can think of and for the wrong type of skier could be heart pumping there is a lot to see in front of you!
Actually most days I have skied it can't tell up from down as it is always in a cloud when I seem to ski it. Maybe on the sunny days I don't ski it because I can see it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'd say White Nitro and Gondiline extension at Sugarloaf are fair to call double diamonds even when groomed. I see people petrified on those trails because of the pitch.

I'm not sure I agree with only a single diamond designation. A diamond like Hairball at Wildcat is an order of magnitude significantly more difficult than say Lift Lion.
Agreed. Other groomed double diamonds that warrant such designation: White Heat, and (sometimes groomed, I believe) Shockwave. In the Sugarloaf and Sunday River cases, if one loses control and cannot stop the consequences can be really bad.

tumbler

Agreed. Other groomed double diamonds that warrant such designation: White Heat, and (sometimes groomed, I believe) Shockwave. In the Sugarloaf and Sunday River cases, if one loses control and cannot stop the consequences can be really bad.
Steins makes it for this reason, double fall line puts you in the woods.

raisingarizona

Are trail ratings based on the challenge of the actual terrain or more on consequences? I guess they are both intertwined and relate some what but high consequences don’t necessarily mean that it’s technically difficult.

if you anyone can easily side slip down a groomed but steep run I definitely wouldn’t call it hard or challenging.

thetrailboss

Staff member
if you anyone can easily side slip down a groomed but steep run I definitely wouldn’t call it hard or challenging.
That's the point as to why SR gives White Heat a double diamond rating--one may not be able to stop due to ice, white ice, etc.

dblskifanatic

I did not say Tali is steep. At all. Just the bottom left. Lift 1 at Loveland to the right is steep. Pitches where a fall means to the bottom are steep.

Now Chet's Dream. I do not ever see them groomed though!

breckkidd3

How about some love for the Cannonball “Express” unloading my ramp? Steepest thing at cannon!