• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VT ending quarantine restrictions

jaywbigred

After a little trial and error, I found a mask that doesn't fog my goggles at all. I actually kind of liked it for spring skiing...thin enough that I'm not sweating/overdressed as I would be with a normal neck gaiter, but still provided some nice protection on still-nippy mornings or windier days. I of course pulled it down when I was alone on lifts/trails, pulled it up in line or when I shared a chair. I might actually incorporate it into my spring skiing get up for the future as a light-gaiter alternative.

ne_skier

Hotels and resorts were forced to make visitors attest that they were in compliance with travel rules. However, I'm not sure how they could actually prove that you weren't in compliance.

dblskifanatic

I know people as in a couple families that skied in Maine one weekend and the next they were skiing at Killington. The for required that you attest to having been quarantined - it is not verifiable so what good does the form do? Even posted on FB.

tumbler

Almost everyone I know that went skiing did it responsibly with either testing or using common sense. Posting on FB your travels that are clearly not in compliance is lame.

KustyTheKlown

Were hotels?

hotels made you sign a form. in my experience, whether they even told you what the form was about differd between properties. most just pushed it to you with the other paperwork you always sign (your license plate for the parking lot, initial here for no smoking, etc). the comfort inn in rutland would call me on the phone each time i booked them and would have a very perfunctory convo "you aware of the quarantine rules? you compliant", and that was it. but my point remains, no one was truly enforcing or checking on actual compliance. lots of people online painted it like there were stops at the border and other such nonsense, and that was never ever remotely the case.

machski

hotels made you sign a form. in my experience, whether they even told you what the form was about differd between properties. most just pushed it to you with the other paperwork you always sign (your license plate for the parking lot, initial here for no smoking, etc). the comfort inn in rutland would call me on the phone each time i booked them and would have a very perfunctory convo "you aware of the quarantine rules? you compliant", and that was it. but my point remains, no one was truly enforcing or checking on actual compliance. lots of people online painted it like there were stops at the border and other such nonsense, and that was never ever remotely the case.
Yes, I know enforcement was passive at best. Private business doesn't want to do Government's work for them, can't blame them. It was really up to the individuals. Same in Maine with many friends from MA, many families were doing what was asked and testing both ways most of the winter. Kind of ridiculous VT is being this strict still as the rest of New England is pretty much allowing free flow of New Englanders now. But we are talking about VT.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Hotels and resorts were forced to make visitors attest that they were in compliance with travel rules. However, I'm not sure how they could actually prove that you weren't in compliance.

I didn't have a single hotel verbally ask that I was complaint...just sign the form and go.

It was an unenforable policy from the start. Word got out quickly that it was a joke and just made the state look bad all around, imo. There should have been some type of enforcement...give a couple hundred people some fines and word will get out quickly and make the policy actually effective.

jimmywilson69

but it must've worked, right? I read an article that visits were down 30 percent. Seems hard to believe because Mt Snow and Stowe were busy as shit as well as Killington. At least what I read. I didn't bother with going north before I got hurt. I would've likely have gone in late March regardless of this silly policy because by then it was clear that it was a joke.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
but it must've worked, right? I read an article that visits were down 30 percent. Seems hard to believe because Mt Snow and Stowe were busy as shit as well as Killington. At least what I read. I didn't bother with going north before I got hurt. I would've likely have gone in late March regardless of this silly policy because by then it was clear that it was a joke.

It's tough to say. Were day visitors/short-term visits down but "transplants" and season-long rental people up enough to compensate? Resorts were by all accounts significantly more busy weekdays but weekends same as they ever were.

And as far as it "working"....depends what you're looking at. Deaths per capita in VT is one of the lowest in the country among states, but cases in VT currently are as high as they were back in December/January. And the economic fallout is huge I'm sure but not something adequately studied yet. How many bars/restaurants closed this season not to return next?

mbedle

It's tough to say. Were day visitors/short-term visits down but "transplants" and season-long rental people up enough to compensate? Resorts were by all accounts significantly more busy weekdays but weekends same as they ever were.

And as far as it "working"....depends what you're looking at. Deaths per capita in VT is one of the lowest in the country among states, but cases in VT currently are as high as they were back in December/January. And the economic fallout is huge I'm sure but not something adequately studied yet. How many bars/restaurants closed this season not to return next?
What makes you think that there will be a continued general decrease in the demand for restaurants and bars?

cdskier

Many did. A lot of the ones in Stowe held on due to enough traffic to barely sustain them.

I know some of the ones around Sugarbush were able to hold on simply due to grants and things like the Paycheck protection program. Definitely has been a struggle for the restaurants to stay open.

kingslug

Its why I spend at least 25 bux at the Edelweiss deli whenever I stop in..which I guess is not hard to do these days. Or why I shop at the Stowe hardware store and not HD..even though its like 2x the price. .