• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

KustyTheKlown

i like the taste, the ritual, the feeling it causes. but when you smoke daily for 20+ years, you aren't a giggling stumbling red-eyed caricature from a 50s propaganda film.

my intake probably increased some in the past year due to the intersection of work from home + quitting cigarettes, but I've smoked about an ounce a month since college.

i get high, it's just not inebriating in a way that effects my ability to make decisions or be physically dextrous.

giantfan

Stowe is going to change the opening plan: "the resort will push back the quad’s opening until 8 a.m. every day. At the same time, the resort will open the gondola a half hour early, so both lifts will now fire up at 8 a.m."

jimmywilson69

“Obviously, there is a small group of diehards that shows up for that early opening,” Wise said, adding he feels for them. “But this decision is based on serving the vast majority of what people want, which is access to freshly-groomed terrain when they arrive at the resort.”

What people want is to get as many turns in as possible before waiting at the insufferable lines that both the Quad and Gondola have on peak days.

Why not open them both at 7:30? That is a vail decisions $$$

drjeff

Stowe is going to change the opening plan: "the resort will push back the quad’s opening until 8 a.m. every day. At the same time, the resort will open the gondola a half hour early, so both lifts will now fire up at 8 a.m."

Guessing that there will be a press release from Mount Snow prior to the start of the season annoncing that they're doing away with their long standing Saturday AM 7:30 lift access for passholders for the Bluebird from January through Mid March then...

jimmywilson69

Roundtop did away with it last year and went a step farther and didn't open the lifts until 9 AM on the weekends. Patrol would do us all a solid and get things cleared early most weekends and were opening closer to 8:30... They better go back to a normal operating schedule this year. Although the fact they didn't open anything but paintball for summer ops is not a strong signal that will be happening.

Even under Peaks Roundtop had first tracks at 7:30 for passholders Friday-Sunday.

obviously with Vail most everyone is a passholder now, so maybe that is why they are tossing these "perks"

thebigo

For as long as I can remember patrol at the cat would give Leo the thumbs up and he would load the quad regardless of the time. Last year they counted down the seconds until 9:00 before anyone was allowed to load. Just one more part of the experience that vail has killed.

deadheadskier

Staff member
For as long as I can remember patrol at the cat would give Leo the thumbs up and he would load the quad regardless of the time. Last year they counted down the seconds until 9:00 before anyone was allowed to load. Just one more part of the experience that vail has killed.
Yup

Vail really needs to give more of the decision making back to local management as they know their clientele best. Alterra appears to do more of that. Too bad Cat wasn't bought by them.

2Planker

Correct, as long as trail check was done, and the groomers were off snow. We were allowed to give the OK to load the quad.
That was the way it was for many, many years.

The Cat is a very easy AM trail check, and can be done w/ 6-8 patrollers. Definitely not the case for a place like SR, where you need about 20 people as it's so spread out. End of the day trail check is way worse.... Cat 15mins / SR 30-45 mins

2Planker

I heard there was some minor back & forth, but nothing official to speak of.
Still almost 3 weeks left

slatham

This is what has always worried me about the McDonaldsization of Vail mountains, that everything would become standard and consistent across all areas and the unique, idiosyncracies that we all love would be gone. Thus far my worry is being realized, and *it would seem* that this is not happening at Alterra resorts.

And it certainly highlights one of the core strengths of the Indies. For those who care.

abc

This is what has always worried me about the McDonaldsization of Vail mountains, that everything would become standard and consistent across all areas and the unique, idiosyncracies that we all love would be gone. Thus far my worry is being realized, and *it would seem* that this is not happening at Alterra resorts.

And it certainly highlights one of the core strengths of the Indies. For those who care.
I'm not as concerned as many here. Economy has a way of self-correcting itself.

If enough people prefers the uniqueness and idiosyncrasy, they will stay away from the Vail/McDonold of skiing/food. That would make the non-Vail/non-McDonald flourish. So those who care, just vote with your wallet and your feet. The industry will sort itself out.

nhskier1969

Every single day I ski and it's fine. I dont get super high...just a few pokes throughout the day. If you dont often smoke then it could be a disaster lol.
Well, "fine" isn't quite the answer I was expecting. Does it enhance the experience? ;) Significantly? Considerably? Can't tell the difference?
I think 100% take a couple hits of a good sativa and you will really enjoy the scenery around you. Feels awesome making gs turns down a groomer

raisingarizona

I'm not as concerned as many here. Economy has a way of self-correcting itself.

If enough people prefers the uniqueness and idiosyncrasy, they will stay away from the Vail/McDonold of skiing/food. That would make the non-Vail/non-McDonald flourish. So those who care, just vote with your wallet and your feet. The industry will sort itself out.
Have you ever seen how many people love McDonalds? So much that in many small, rural areas that the cool and funky locally owned restaurants can’t get enough business to ever make it.