• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

thebigo

Not hard to connect the dots. If I recollect you have posted that you are friends with LBO and he is one of the few people that meet the description.

2Planker

Not hard to connect the dots. If I recollect you have posted that you are friends with LBO and he is one of the few people that meet the description.
True, Good guess, But No. His hands are pretty full right now.
Plus Les is 72. These guys are in their late 50's

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'm skeptical. This would be like Walmart selling an underperforming store to a few local guys to turn it into a bowling alley. Not saying it won't or can't happen but it certainly doesn't happen often or at all.

Vail also isn't the obvious top choice in the Northeast over Alterra like they are in other regions. It's a pretty even split. I'd think they want every resort they can get; profit be damned.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wildcat moves the needle on very few pass sales. I'd be one of those very few, but not while Vail owns it. You're talking about a ski area that averages around 85k visits per season over the past ten or so. Losing Cat as part of the Vail portfolio probably does very little to Epics pass sale business.

2Planker

I'm skeptical. This would be like Walmart selling an underperforming store to a few local guys to turn it into a bowling alley. Not saying it won't or can't happen but it certainly doesn't happen often or at all.

Vail also isn't the obvious top choice in the Northeast over Alterra like they are in other regions. It's a pretty even split. I'd think they want every resort they can get; profit be damned.
These guys have climbed the ladder in the industry, and held almost every type of position at a ski resort, both on & off snow.
Couldn't be more different from what they have now. Dedicated hands on mgmt. from people who live/ski there
every day.

snoseek

Sell off Wildcat and focus efforts on running Attitash better. I could see it.

Wildcat as a standalone resort would be rad. I feel like at some point they could team up with another mountain (Cannon please) to increase pass sales.

thebigo

Cat with a long season on the WMSP would make for a compelling product. Crannmore/bw/Cat from the valley? Not sure I can think of a better combo in the east.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Cat with a long season on the WMSP would make for a compelling product. Crannmore/bw/Cat from the valley? Not sure I can think of a better combo in the east.

Damn. You really do love NH don't you lol. My dream would be living halfway between Killington/Pico and Sugarbush on Ikon base with an MRG midweek pass and I'm set for roughly the same price.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I'd rather see Cat join Indy. Cat Pass with Indy add on is a more compelling product than WMSP to me due to greater geographic diversity and more options.

If the snow is bad at one WMSP area, it's likely going to be bad at all of them. Indy gives you the option Magic for Southern VT storms and Bolton/Jay for Northern VT storms and sometimes those tracks don't do much for the Whites. Plus having Saddleback available, which IMO is the best overall ski mountain / experience in the East now with the High Speed Rangeley chair.

If I lived less than 3 hours from Saddleback, securing a seasonal rental or vacation home there would without question be my goal. It's just a bit too far of a drive for me to want to commit to each weekend.

2Planker

Black Mt in Jackson was also trying to promote interest in the MWV for joining the WMSP

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why kinda resources does this group have? Personally, i wouldn't think Cat is worth more than $7-8M and given their financial track record I wouldn't commit to something like that unless I had at least $20M in reserve.

p_levert

I still can't see it. Sure, Wildcat doesn't make a bunch of money and it's a tiny pimple in the Vail empire. But, at the same time, it is an iconic resort with a high base elevation and good natural snow (rare commodities in the East, particularly NH). If Vail lets it go, I expect it to become part of Ikon Pass, one way or another. The big dogs tend to compete real hard against each other, and I am sure they don't want to see Wildcat in Alterra hands, directly or indirectly.

Whitey

For Vail, it's all about the "package" of mountains that VR can offer Epic Pass holders in a geographic area. So they are looking at their package of northeast mountains and if there are enough and they are spread around the northeast. I could see them unloading 1 of the 2 mountains that they have in the Conway area as I doubt that would really impact pass sales. As long as they have something to offer pass holders in that area of NH they would probably be OK with just one area there.

jimmywilson69

other than the triple at Attitash what other problems are there (not withstanding the previous season operations)?

If I was in the market for a ski area , why not two?

2Planker

Why kinda resources does this group have? Personally, i wouldn't think Cat is worth more than $7-8M and given their financial track record I wouldn't commit to something like that unless I had at least $20M in reserve.
They have both the resources and the financial backing.
That's about all that will be said until a reply has been received.

deadheadskier

Staff member
other than the triple at Attitash what other problems are there (not withstanding the previous season operations)?

If I was in the market for a ski area , why not two?
The challenge with Attitash is the overhead to run it. Improvement wise it really only needs the triple replaced and to cut some additional glades as they have minimal. And use the snowmaking firepower they have to it's full capacity.

But between the two base areas and the quantity of lifts to run at full capacity midweek is tough for the amount of skier visits they get.