• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Cannon Tram?

cdskier

No paywall for me, but it was a rather short article with not much substance (certainly not worthy of a paywall at all).

The gist of it is that it would cost $10-$15M to rehabilitate the Cannon tram (extending the lifespan 20 years) and $20-$30M to replace it (expanding the lifespan 40-50 years) so they're wondering if they should pursue some potentially available federal funds. To be blunt, I think any of those numbers are ridiculous and I don't think any federal funds should be used for something like this...if the state wants it, the state should pay for it.

cdskier

Any potential changes in capacity ?
Hah..now I get a paywall trying to go back and re-read the article. I think the increase was something like going from 80 to 100 passengers though...

2Planker

Haven't seen "JD" in years. He was the first person I ever evaced from a lift. That was prob 1988/89 ??
Good man !
A new tram would be sweet.
YES, capactiy gets a 25% bump to 100

machski

No paywall for me, but it was a rather short article with not much substance (certainly not worthy of a paywall at all).

The gist of it is that it would cost $10-$15M to rehabilitate the Cannon tram (extending the lifespan 20 years) and $20-$30M to replace it (expanding the lifespan 40-50 years) so they're wondering if they should pursue some potentially available federal funds. To be blunt, I think any of those numbers are ridiculous and I don't think any federal funds should be used for something like this...if the state wants it, the state should pay for it.
The state will in a way, the federal funds they are looking to use are funds already dispersed to the state from the feds.

As a resdient, I would vote for the new one. It's double the price today, but more than doubles to possibly quadrupoling the lifespan. If they can organize that type of funding, I think it offers a better return.

thebigo

I hate the tram. Dream would be a chondola, chairs in the winter, cabins in the summer.

thebigo

?? Really ??
How about Gondola Cabins in the winter, and Chairs in the summer.....
You ever taken the tram in the summer? There are old ladies with walkers paying something around $20 for a ride.

Ideally they could easily switch between cabins and chairs in the winter depending on the weather.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The one argument I could see against a chair / gondola is increased traffic on the Summit trails, Bypass and Zoomer with more people wanting to do TTB laps. Right now, many people don't do that because they don't like riding the Team.

snoseek

If you increase capacity going to the summit then the middle mountain will need some serious work...it bottlenecks pretty bad and skis off quickly

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you increase capacity going to the summit then the middle mountain will need some serious work...it bottlenecks pretty bad and skis off quickly
Another trail skiers right of Extension down to Avalanche would be cool.

But yeah, that's the one thing that I dislike about Cannon. The middle mountain bottleneck

snoseek

Another trail skiers right of Extension down to Avalanche would be cool.

But yeah, that's the one thing that I dislike about Cannon. The middle mountain bottleneck
It gets pretty bad if you need to stay high and get to the front five. The routes that drop down to the peabody like middle hard and ravine and red ball get more love than they did in the old days so I find myself going that way more than I used to. Also love it or hate it that Mitt double adds some escape...when the snow is good that's good stuff.

In the old days I lapped the tram, last year we did without and I really didnt miss it. Ditch the tram and zoomer chair and build something like a bubble with a midstation that drops you slightly higher than the current zoomer unload and I'm on board. The current tram path doesn't really make sense anyhow.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It gets pretty bad if you need to stay high and get to the front five. The routes that drop down to the peabody like middle hard and ravine and red ball get more love than they did in the old days so I find myself going that way more than I used to. Also love it or hate it that Mitt double adds some escape...when the snow is good that's good stuff.

In the old days I lapped the tram, last year we did without and I really didnt miss it. Ditch the tram and zoomer chair and build something like a bubble with a midstation that drops you slightly higher than the current zoomer unload and I'm on board. The current tram path doesn't really make sense anyhow.

Right on

Hope one of my Indy Pass days next season at Cannon is skiing there with you as the tour guide. Ski it like you like to ski it.

thebigo

Hoping they bring back NH Wednesday, cannon is awesome when things are right. When it is hard and fast, the mountains skis too disjointed for me.