• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnt1234

@deadheadskier and other phish people - posting here bc this is where trey chat came up. russ got covid and fishman joined trey band and they played a 12 song show last night with multiple 20+ min jams. i just finished the 21 min opening 46 days and a 32 min blaze on is next. blaze on is a fucking terrible song but I'll grit my teeth for the first 5 minutes to get the 25 min of jamming. my biggest complaint of 3.0 phish is too many songs, not enough jams, so this piqued my interest big. i downloaded the torrent and zipped it up for anyone who may be interested: https://www.mediafire.com/file/bt7q...ge+AE+-+Pittsburgh,+Pennsylvania(V0).rar/file

the horns also got covid, so this is like a super ridiculously tight 5 piece of trey, fishman, ray, cyro, and a new bassist dezron douglass who has serious jazz credentials and is better than these jamband losers. just began set 2 and this is better than any phish i have heard since baker's dozen
Yeah, I want to check that out.

OUr return to live music was supposed to be Phish in AC but since the tour swam up through the covid in LA, TN and GA, and we were travelling five days after teh show, we decided to scrub. Lots of break through reports on tour.

Probably an over cautious decision on our part - we wouldn't be at after parties or gambling indoors.

But we streamed it and enjoyed....

Winter's coming...

jimmywilson69

I queued this up in the LivePhish App. damn good jamming without the horns. Makes me think he should consider a tour with just the 4 or 5 piece.

Also I thought the summer tour was well played and had a some pretty good jams in it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't disagree, but is 108 an issue because the lot is an issue? For instance if they could park people twice as fast would 108 be such a mess? Right now they are getting the crowds regardless. on a snow day they could in theory double the parking but keep the snow removal the same.

It would help some, but I still think the town / state would want to see alternative transportation plans to reduce traffic. The road can't really be expanded to multiple lanes all that easily.

I can't really think of another mountain in the East that attracts as many people as Stowe does and only has a two lane road going in to one parking / base area from one direction only. Most places you can either access from two or more directions or they at least have two or more base areas to spread people out.

abc

But part of Stowe's traffic IS from cars waiting for parking at the base! It's a bit of a self-inflicted problem. Eliminating parking at Spruce made a bad situation worse.

jimmywilson69

for sure but AIG made/makes a lot of money on that fancy development.

I agree DHS that its not likely all just related to queuing from actual parking. If you think about the Killington Access Road its a 4 lane roadway for most of it. Obviously something like that can't be built up 108.

kingslug

Watched some college football this weekend. Not a fan but I have to wonder...packing 90,000 people into them..what does this cause ??

KustyTheKlown

I queued this up in the LivePhish App. damn good jamming without the horns. Makes me think he should consider a tour with just the 4 or 5 piece.

Also I thought the summer tour was well played and had a some pretty good jams in it.

it was fucking sick at radio city on saturday, and i have been a big 3.0 hater. major guitar driven jamming.

40 min ghost>mr.completely

then i went to the bk mirage for techno til 530 am.

it was like being 25 all over again.

jimmywilson69

dance party dancing GIF

PAabe

Delaware Stadium has been full! for all of the football games so far, including an overflowing student section. It hasn't been consistently full in many years.
Penn State had a top-10 attendance record of 110,000 at Beaver Stadium a few weeks ago. People are really excited to get out and about

Dickc

From the New York Times email newsletter the other morning:

Good morning. New Covid cases in the U.S. have fallen by more than a third in the past month.​
j4MNKxbqynd69eP9MTq1TeFyTe1XIoSA9NpAwojLxEAOePbyJOgpQuGKNzkIHIXkAtBXR-nypCrw50QyJxrLtlZHDuksxBc6G09epy2oPyl1cUPIb4F2c2fJZ8eXYoraC7Ro-TT_h0u9-KB-rAFbcuNg4b4S1UNI6N2lSzw=s0-d-e1-ft

A medic cleaning a stretcher in Houston after transferring a Covid-19 patient last month.John Moore/Getty Images​

That two-month cycle​

Covid-19 is once again in retreat.​
The reasons remain somewhat unclear, and there is no guarantee that the decline in caseloads will continue. But the turnaround is now large enough — and been going on long enough — to deserve attention.​
The number of new daily cases in the U.S. has fallen 35 percent since Sept. 1:​
kaRM-bMe5uzRx383HFXukpS4sPVWeA_iUOgtoLYbKwtFme2ZWuKhbMV-hxygH54axCqDbagIUszKlnihJaRotk8Cm9DIGd8K1e5k_T5pUtxNzq4ts1bSes0v7cgk7E5P47fa9GTuna6PnE9bdzClBv-SEgKiaErMA2z4bxqlHSnHmYBeUQ=s0-d-e1-ft
Worldwide, cases have also dropped more than 30 percent since late August. “This is as good as the world has looked in many months,” Dr. Eric Topol of Scripps Research wrote last week.​
These declines are consistent with a pattern that regular readers of this newsletter will recognize: Covid’s mysterious two-month cycle. Since the Covid virus began spreading in late 2019, cases have often surged for about two months — sometimes because of a variant, like Delta — and then declined for about two months.​
Epidemiologists do not understand why. Many popular explanations, like seasonality or the ebbs and flows of social distancing, are clearly insufficient, if not wrong. The two-month cycle has occurred during different seasons of the year and occurred even when human behavior was not changing in obvious ways.​
The most plausible explanations involve some combination of virus biology and social networks. Perhaps each virus variant is especially likely to infect some people but not others — and once many of the most vulnerable have been exposed, the virus recedes. And perhaps a variant needs about two months to circulate through an average-sized community.​
Human behavior does play a role, with people often becoming more careful once caseloads begin to rise. But social distancing is not as important as public discussion of the virus often imagines. “We’ve ascribed far too much human authority over the virus,” as Michael Osterholm, an infectious-disease expert at the University of Minnesota, has told me.​
The recent declines, for example, have occurred even as millions of American children have again crowded into school buildings.​

Dickc

Second part as it too big for one post:

Hospitalizations, too​

Whatever the reasons, the two-month cycle keeps happening. It is visible in the global numbers, as you can see in the chart below. Cases rose from late February to late April, then fell until late June, rose again until late August and have been falling since.​
odw_upH-YDp1u9RZxdkMBHOXsmmb9eW2kkZvZQTYraz2ZdFHf-z9wWIInMNUo8SZOoDkCroxyIfD-3mgD38J9mw6gVogQEC6XygkefLGhQPIvmQrlkgWP7SeOtt22f-wkHw6BQnxOxdXMDj28kxOTpFdZfzR0x98iIao3_OZNjbkLkcGqA=s0-d-e1-ft
The pattern has also been evident within countries, including India, Indonesia, Thailand, Britain, France and Spain. In each of them, the Delta variant led to a surge in cases lasting somewhere from one and a half to two and a half months.​
In the U.S., the Delta surge started in several Southern states in June and began receding in those states in August. In much of the rest of the U.S., it began in July, and cases have begun falling the past few weeks. Even pediatric cases are falling, despite the lack of vaccine authorization for children under 12, as Jennifer Nuzzo of Johns Hopkins University told The Washington Post. (You can see the overall trends for every state here.)​
The most encouraging news is that serious Covid illnesses are also declining. The number of Americans hospitalized with Covid has fallen about 25 percent since Sept. 1. Daily deaths — which typically change direction a few weeks after cases and hospitalizations — have fallen 10 percent since Sept. 20. It is the first sustained decline in deaths since the early summer.​
GlqD_6H-zPIrLywFoyMsV0R29t0XlJMIl_5GPFLeDDy9RMk6d6YfWlViMPxEcVtRxLxwomlJtM99M54Mz7eRvX-SsaOFzjk8LGz3OeRbel3cuCw1Bz8nqvIptAWlrEP7PtXmGzTtg7njO81rLJ_1O-4LcW5MhDtPIVfxnC9b4VUyMJSYvA=s0-d-e1-ft

‘The last major wave’?​

This is the part of the newsletter where I need to emphasize that these declines may not persist. Covid’s two-month cycle is not some kind of iron law of science. There have been plenty of exceptions.​
In Britain, for example, caseloads have seesawed over the past two months, rather than consistently fallen. In the U.S., the onset of cold weather and the increase in indoor activities — or some other unknown factor — could cause a rise in cases this fall. The course of the pandemic remains highly uncertain.​
But this uncertainty also means that the near future could prove to be more encouraging than we expect. And there are some legitimate reasons for Covid optimism.​
The share of Americans 12 and over who have received at least one vaccine shot has reached 76 percent, and the growing number of vaccine mandates — along with the likely authorization of the Pfizer vaccine for children ages 5 to 11 — will increase the number of vaccinations this fall. Almost as important, something like one-half of Americans have probably had the Covid virus already, giving them some natural immunity.​
Eventually, immunity will become widespread enough that another wave as large and damaging as the Delta wave will not be possible. “Barring something unexpected,” Dr. Scott Gottlieb, a former F.D.A. commissioner and the author of “Uncontrolled Spread,” a new book on Covid, told me, “I’m of the opinion that this is the last major wave of infection.”​
Covid has not only been one of the worst pandemics in modern times. It has been an unnecessarily terrible pandemic. Of the more than 700,000 Americans who have died from it, nearly 200,000 probably could have been saved if they had chosen to take a vaccine. That is a national tragedy.​
Covid also isn’t going to disappear anytime soon. It will continue to circulate for years, many scientists believe. But the vaccines can transform Covid into a manageable disease, not so different from a flu or common cold. In the past few weeks, the country appears to have moved closer to that less grim future.​
Whatever this autumn brings, the worst of the pandemic is almost certainly behind us.​
Virus developments:​

jimk

Watched some college football this weekend. Not a fan but I have to wonder...packing 90,000 people into them..what does this cause ??
I went to a college football game 10 days ago at my alma mater, Univ of Maryland. It wasn't a high interest game and the stadium attendance was ~30k out of ~50k seats. I sat with some friends in the ozone layer where the crowd density was very light. I was comfortable with the situation. We also tailgated at a friends house near the stadium before the game. The only time I wore a mask was going through ticketing/turnstiles while entering stadium, which was heavily bottlenecked for a few minutes. Vast majority of crowd never wore a mask.
Photo taken about 5 minutes before game started, Terps just entering field on left. The stands filled a little more after this. MD beat Kent State. We have Tua's little bro as QB and he's good!
terps.jpg

Last edited:

drjeff

We were watching the Notre Dame game...packed...

Both of the Patriots games at Gillette Stadium I have been to this season were I would estimate in the 80-90% full range. Gillette holds 80K when full.

Very few people were choosing to wear a mask. Nobody that I observed was giving the folks who chose to wear a mask a hard time or vice cersa

drjeff

Super spreader........
Seems like, since it's been over a month that both college and pro football have been filling stadiums, that the fear of them being super spreader events just hasn't happened.

Guessing the the combo of those with antibodies (either from vaccines or naturally occurring via having had and recovered from COVID in the past, plus if an outdoor stadium the fresh air factor (and even with the ventillation systems in indoor stadiums the air is always moving a bit) cause a similar lack of super spreader events that our beloved outdoor skiing/riding experienced last season, Since if we're all honest the majority of "masks" we were wearing while out skiing/riding didn't do much to prevent the inhalation of aerosolized particles and were more about a visual reminder to stay apart

Status
Not open for further replies.