• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

KustyTheKlown

its time to stop with the bullshit 'super spreader' talk. we're in a different place now. especially in the northeast. people are vaccinated and if they get sick it sucks for a few days but you don't end up in the hospital or dead. if you aren't vaxxed, get fucked, drop dead, i don't much care what happens to you. but its far past time to get on with life and resume normal activity, especially with this merck pill on top of the vaccines. and i was one of the most hardcore covid safety evangelists pre-vaccine, but enough already.

drjeff

its time to stop with the bullshit 'super spreader' talk. we're in a different place now. especially in the northeast. people are vaccinated and if they get sick it sucks for a few days but you don't end up in the hospital or dead. if you aren't vaxxed, get fucked, drop dead, i don't much care what happens to you. but its far past time to get on with life and resume normal activity, especially with this merck pill on top of the vaccines. and i was one of the most hardcore covid safety evangelists pre-vaccine, but enough already.
Now Kusty, stop making sense like that!

We all know that if society as a whole starts living their lives again (and living one's life has ALWAYS had some degree of risk associated with it, and always will have some degree of risk associated with it) then both the media and various elected and/or government appointed officials loose the power of much of society that they have acquired inparticular in some areas over the last 18+ months. And asking them to give that up is about as easy as asking a crack addict to just walk by their dealer and not buy more.......

It seems like that at somepoint, everyone will get COVID. If one is vaccinated, or had COVID and recovered from it or is in a population demographic that the vast majority of the country falls into with limited co-morbidities, it's very unlikely to be a big deal. For a very small percntage of folks, even some vaccinated folks, it certainly can be a major deal.

NYDB

yeah. It seems pretty clear outdoor activities are fairly safe even with 80,000 people. Like a NFL game or MLK Sunday at Mount Snow.

Not so sure about gathering with 40,000 people indoors though. Seems like a bad idea no matter what type of air filtration system you got.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It seems pretty clear outdoor activities are fairly safe even with 80,000 people. Like a NFL game or MLK Sunday at Mount Snow.

This is the funniest line I've read on this forum is quite a while :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Rings so true... for a time 10ish years ago I'd do 2-3 Saturday's a season at Mount Snow on ski club days when our bus would be one of 3 dozen+ that were there. The bus would drop us off at Sundance lodge. To ride the lift out of there, get to the main base, and get on a lift up to the Summit or Canyon to actually start the day would take a solid 45-60 minutes. Once we figured out Seasons dropped you high enough up the hill you could skate to the main base it was a GAME CHANGER for our group lol.

abc

Super spreader........
It is a curious thing...

On the one hand, I've not seen any paper documenting significant outdoor transmission. No superspreader associated with outdoor events.

On the other hand, don't people hang out afterwards? Do they all hang out just outside (tailgate)? I would have expected some cases associated with people who went to bars/restaurants after the game!

The fact that there's no significant cases that can be linked to these large outdoor events maybe an indication that 1) vaccine works; or 2) there simply not that many people walking around spewing viruses (which maybe a result of reason number 1). If true, then we're on our way out of the pandemic "naturally".

drjeff

It is a curious thing...

On the one hand, I've not seen any paper documenting significant outdoor transmission. No superspreader associated with outdoor events.

On the other hand, don't people hang out afterwards? Do they all hang out just outside (tailgate)? I would have expected some cases associated with people who went to bars/restaurants after the game!

The fact that there's no significant cases that can be linked to these large outdoor events maybe an indication that 1) vaccine works; or 2) there simply not that many people walking around spewing viruses (which maybe a result of reason number 1). If true, then we're on our way out of the pandemic "naturally".
*Most* major stadiums tend to be in non urban areas, so the tailgating scene (both before and after) tends to be out in the parking lots for the majority of folks, rather than inside a local bar/restaurant.

Domeskier

Is contact tracing even still a thing in the US? To the extent there are super spreader events, I suspect they are more likely to be identified when the people gathered together have some kind of on-going connection, like a wedding or family reunion, rather than a concert or sports game where most people are strangers coming together from and dispersing to a fairly wide geographic footprint. Add to that the fact that most people seem to be living life as usual these days, and tracing an infection to a particular source quickly begins to look like an exercise in futility.

kingslug

As far as I'm concerned if you can pack all these people together..all over the country..then we are good to go. Can't think of a bigger venue then these stadium events.

tnt1234

Just made an appointment for a booster.

was on the fence about it, but the number of close quarters meetings and crowded indoor settings I was in this week for work, and the new data on Pfizer pushed me over the edge.

I realize we're probably all gonna get Covid, and for the vaccinated, it will likely be no bg deal, but have would just rather not get it and not have a chance to spread it.

Also, this will set me up nice for the coldest months of ski season, where you are most likely to need to go indoors!

abc

Just made an appointment for a booster.

was on the fence about it, but the number of close quarters meetings and crowded indoor settings I was in this week for work, and the new data on Pfizer pushed me over the edge.

I realize we're probably all gonna get Covid, and for the vaccinated, it will likely be no bg deal, but have would just rather not get it and not have a chance to spread it.

Also, this will set me up nice for the coldest months of ski season, where you are most likely to need to go indoors!
Some of us are not eligible for booster.

I will instead refuse any close quarter indoor meetings. Unless, of course, if everyone is vaccinated. (my company is still undecided on vaccine mandates. So till that gets decided, I'm not going in for meetings) Fortunately, my company is not even requiring us to be in office just yet. So it's all theoretical at the moment.

tnt1234

Some of us are not eligible for booster.

I will instead refuse any close quarter indoor meetings. Unless, of course, if everyone is vaccinated. (my company is still undecided on vaccine mandates. So till that gets decided, I'm not going in for meetings) Fortunately, my company is not even requiring us to be in office just yet. So it's all theoretical at the moment.
In NJ they are being very lax with the requirements. Basically if you think your job puts you at risk you can get a booster.

deadheadskier

Staff member
In NJ they are being very lax with the requirements. Basically if you think your job puts you at risk you can get a booster.

Interesting. I wonder what my doctor would say for me. Though I don't believe Moderna has been permitted for boosters yet. I'm in hospitals potentially near Covid patients and definitely clinicians that treat them every day.

tnt1234

Interesting. I wonder what my doctor would say for me. Though I don't believe Moderna has been permitted for boosters yet. I'm in hospitals potentially near Covid patients and definitely clinicians that treat them every day.
Moderna is approved for third shot but not booster....don't really understand the difference, but if you are over 65 or immunocompromised, you can get moderna, but not if you have work related issues.

You can cross pollinate these vaccines, but on the other hand, I think moderna is holding up better than Pfizer-BioNTech against infection, so might be moot for you.

abc

All of a sudden everybody is their own doctor now? Deciding to get extra vaccines, getting different kind of vaccines etc...

What's next, horse medicine? Is drinking bleach that far away?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not my own doctor. But, there seems to be broad enough consensus in the research community that boosters can do more good than harm. We are just in the red tape phase now. When recommended I will absolutely take it if there's a potential health benefit to me and my family. Feel the same about vaccine releases for my 6 and soon to be 3 year old.

abc

Not my own doctor. But, there seems to be broad enough consensus in the research community that boosters can do more good than harm. We are just in the red tape phase now. When recommended I will absolutely take it if there's a potential health benefit to me and my family. Feel the same about vaccine releases for my 6 and soon to be 3 year old.
The medical consensus are changing too. How quickly do we forget what it’s like 18 months ago when Covid is completely unknown and a potential death sentence? We now have 2 drugs for treatment and a substantially lower breakthrough infection rate for those vaccinated. Not to mention a milder disease even for those infected (or even unvaccinated children).

The “good” of the booster shot is far less obvious than the first one. The “red tape” is a reflection of disagreement within the medical community.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thank you for your hard hitting analysis abc.

You do you and what you feel is best for your family and risk factors. I'll do what I feel is best for mine.

Last edited:

Hawk

I went to my doctor last Wednesday for my annual. He said the boster is a good Idea if I want one. He's kind of reasearch freek and is always telling me his spin on things. I will go with his opinion and get the boster as soon as I am elegeble. Maybe sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.