• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

KustyTheKlown

This got lost in the last post of the last page, but RCR (fernie, kicking horse, more) are vax only for accessing chairlifts. That’s a major move.

drjeff

This got lost in the last post of the last page, but RCR (fernie, kicking horse, more) are vax only for accessing chairlifts. That’s a major move.

Sounds like a case of "I'll see your fear based operational decision recommendations and raise you another $100" type of decision....

What's next in line? Check your vaxx card at the lift AND you can only load lifts that have atleast 1 member of the BIPOC or LBGTQIA....., community?

Let's hope the the insanity pendulum has just about swung as far away from the center as possible and is about to start moving back towards some sane thought and normalcy!!

Smellytele

No masks on lifts and only recommended in most lodges at SR if vaxed. However, need patrol help on the hill? Better get that mask on or no help offered. Want to get into either the patrol or western Maine mountain clinic? Better have a mask. Need rentals? Yup, need a mask on in there. Also, no bags in lodges again and no booting up in there either.

Also, opening day to a date to be determined, only passholders, Ikon passes and ticket pack holders welcome to ski/ride.
wonder if the other Boyne resorts will be like this as well.

icecoast1

Let's hope the the insanity pendulum has just about swung as far away from the center as possible and is about to start moving back towards some sane thought and normalcy!!
I'd like to think that's the case, but after the last nearly 2 years, i'm no longer surprised at any new irrational fear-based decisions.

abc

That’s just for Canadians, majority of whom happen to be vaccinated already.

All non-Canadians had to be vaccinated to even enter Canada at all.

So I don’t see what’s so “major” about it.

KustyTheKlown

That’s just for Canadians, majority of whom happen to be vaccinated already.

All non-Canadians had to be vaccinated to even enter Canada at all.

So I don’t see what’s so “major” about it.

looks pretty major to the disgruntled hordes on social media. i have no dog in this fight but i love watching the anti-vax crowd meltdown when they get excluded from private businesses.

VTKilarney

i love watching the anti-vax crowd meltdown when they get excluded from private businesses.

While you may love it, policies that are not rooted in science only validate the anti-vax crowd. A stupid policy is a stupid policy - even if you get some sort of political entertainment from it.

I am fully vaccinated, and I couldn't care less if someone on a chairlift sitting next to me is vaccinated as well.

If people are fine with vaccination requirements for indoor settings it doesn't seem crazy to me to require it for skiing. If you get injured, you're most likely going inside, and there's a good chance the patroller treating you is no spring chicken.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Back on topic....

I joined Pugski/Ski Talk over the summer and occasionally browse the different ski regions. A lot of talk as the early season players open has been.... where'd all the people go? Lifts being ski-on this early season when resorts were jam-packed open-close last season. Covid-related? People getting their lives back in order and skiing less?

KustyTheKlown

i would say the vax requirements at major ski resorts is very on topic

but to your question, this time last year the world was essentially shut down still. people had far fewer options for their time and money. no movies, no concerts, no restaurants, no kids sports, no shopping mall...

icecoast1

If people are fine with vaccination requirements for indoor settings it doesn't seem crazy to me to require it for skiing. If you get injured, you're most likely going inside, and there's a good chance the patroller treating you is no spring chicken.
Perhaps if that patroller is worried they should just get the vaccine, where a proper n95 mask inside or just not work in a high risk setting like that?

2Planker

Perhaps if that patroller is worried they should just get the vaccine, where a proper n95 mask inside or just not work in a high risk setting like that?
SR Patrol states that you must have a mask on to get Patrol assistance on the hill, and also to enter the clinic (State law).

Having responded to many unresponsive patients, I'm wondering how they're going to mask up if unconscious...

cdskier

SR Patrol states that you must have a mask on to get Patrol assistance on the hill, and also to enter the clinic (State law).

Having responded to many unresponsive patients, I'm wondering how they're going to mask up if unconscious...
That certainly is a valid question and that policy doesn't make a lot of sense. That would be like saying EMTs or other first responders can't help an injured person in an auto accident if the injured person is not wearing a mask.

abc

Given the labor shortage we're already seeing, it's perfectly reasonable for resort owners to exclude unvaccinated than to lose staff due to having to cater to the anti-vaxxers.

VTKilarney

Given the labor shortage we're already seeing, it's perfectly reasonable for resort owners to exclude unvaccinated than to lose staff due to having to cater to the anti-vaxxers.

Huh? There is no scientific evidence showing that a fleeting outdoor encounter poses a credible risk of transmission.

If you want to require vaccinations to enter buildings, so be it. But requiring a vaccination to ride an outdoor lift is absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.